• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are Davidoffs really that good?

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I've been interested in the question. I understand not all agree, but I really like Camachos, pretty much all that I have tried (which is getting close to all of them) (and all in the last year). I can't figure out what the complaint is, to me they smoke nicely, are well constructed, and have consistently good, strong flavor. So if Davidoff is responsible for this state of affairs, I'm interested....

The history of all these brands is fascinating. As a person who spent a good part of his career involved in the Wall Street M&A craze, I feel like I have a certain perspective on it, but the cigar world seems like a unique world. It's as much art as science, and Wall Street has never been much for understanding art.

SWYL / LWYS

No shame in liking the current Camacho offerings. I think a lot of folks just remember the "old" Camacho and, like anything that changes, yearns for the product of the past. I guess that's where Aladino comes in to fill that nook. My only real complaint with Camacho right now is their large ring gauges. Since I've started listening to The Cigar Authority podcast, I've learned a lot more about lineage, factories, production, etc. I still only understand a fraction of it, and most of that I'm still obviously confused on...!

You've stated exactly what Habanos have done with LE an RE lines at a real premium. They all do it. But you are correct about the AVO move was a bad business move.
Hate to disagree with you brother. Cuba does a lot of things backwards and sloppy, but they have a great deal of pride in their RE and LE cigars. They use the highest quality tobacco, aged for 3 to 5 years longer than production cigars before they are rolled, and are all good, and most are amazing. Now, are they worth the premium price? To me (and @jfields ) they are.
To get back on topic, when I first started smoking cigars, I smoked Davidoff mostly, with some Padron and CAO thrown in. I loved them, and thought they were the best cigars available, until I smoked my first Cuban...

I don't think the Davidoff Camachos are bad, but most agree they just are not the same as they were under the Eiroa family. Which is not bad if you like the new Camachos. For me though, the Davidoff Camachos just don't stand out. While I wouldn't turn down a new Camacho or pass up an event, I also would not seek them out either. I've smoked a few of them and they just don't do it for me personally. I do grab one every year or two, just to see if they strike a fancy though.

I don't think the Davidoff Camachos are bad, but most agree they just are not the same as they were under the Eiroa family. Which is not bad if you like the new Camachos. For me though, the Davidoff Camachos just don't stand out. While I wouldn't turn down a new Camacho or pass up an event, I also would not seek them out either. I've smoked a few of them and they just don't do it for me personally. I do grab one every year or two, just to see if they strike a fancy though.
I remember absolutely loving the Camacho line right after Christian took the helm from his father. Couldn’t stand them after Davidoff took over.

I remember absolutely loving the Camacho line right after Christian took the helm from his father. Couldn’t stand them after Davidoff took over.
Hey - there's no way Davidoff would have bought Camacho if it did not have a good reputation!

No doubt - Christian had a different way of blending than dad. I agree - I was more interested in the Camacho line when Christian took it over than before. And I don't think the Camacho's under Davidoff are necessarily bad - just not my cup of tea (does not really fit my preferred flavor profile). There are definitely different than the Camacho's of old.

CPARKER: May 20, 2021
Davidoff tends to the mild/medium with a few blends that are stronger. I like the Nicaragua. Davidoff acquired Camacho to round out their lines to have a more full body smoke. In my view, they ruined Comacho.
I attended a Yamasa launch event at a Davidoff shop a few years back. I told the rep the flavor reminded me of Levi Garrett chewing tobacco. He was not pleased. But, that's what it tasted like to me. <Shrug>
Davidoff views itself as a "luxury" brand targeting a "lifestyle" marketing approach. Not all that different than Cigar Aficionado magazine. I'll browse the magazine. I won't be buying a S.T. Dupont Line D Fire-head Guilloche Pen. The Royal Salomones are a component of Davidoff's intended image. Luxury brands usually have an "ultra" product as a component of being a luxury brand. The price does not mean that its that much better than some lesser priced cigars.
As with many things, price is not indicative of value. Davidoff tends to be on the more expensive side. With this cost you generally do get consistency. Quality rolling and a blend that remains consistent year to year which is not easy for an agricultural product.
Are there better or equivalent cigars at a lower price? Sure. Davidoff has some good cigars but the price is some of the weight from its spend on the image. It is also costs of consistency. They do police their brand.

‘Your on point, CPARKER
Davidoff has always been a luxury brand even when they were made in Cuba.. They literally spend a fortune between their promotions, high end sales force, giveaways, and dominating advertising. Just consider what they spend each year at the PCA yearly Las Vegas convention.

They produce some of the most expensive cigars. Some like the Royal Solomone retail for $100 each. Their top of their line cigars are perfectly produced and constructed cigars and compare to the Cohiba Behike. But, not in taste and flavor. Not even close.
The Davidoff cigar remind me of a 1950’s Cadillac automotive. A terrific car for its time but way out of fashion now and way overpriced.
There are so many better alternatives.
I have one exceptional Davidoff that I enjoy. It was the 2008 Davidoff Millennium Lancero. It retailed for a ridiculous $20.00 each and that was 13 years ago.
I refused to pay such a puffed up price. I waited a few years and found them at 65% off, and they were still expensive compared to similar cigars.
But sometimes you close your eyes and enjoy.

Last edited:
Aaah, memories. This thread's brought back quite a few!

Years back, I bought most of a box of Camacho Scorpions, an absolute beast of a cigar, from a true gentleman on another forum who decided to fill the empty slots with Davidoff perfectos custom made for a cigar shop in Dallas's 30th anniversary or something.

They were the most expensive tasting cigars I have ever smoked. Not as strong as the Camachos, obviously, or the GOF/Opus I usually splurge on, but damn. The quality, the obviously superior leaf, the construction, the nuanced layers of flavor . . . . they were really SOMETHING.

I've only had a couple Davidoff since because, after all, GOF is still out there & nothing beats a Carlito. They were also exquisite, but not in the same rarefied class as those first ones.

~Boar