• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are Davidoffs really that good?

I used to be huge Davidoff fan. That was until the whole AVO fiasco, where they took normal line cigars and re-banded them as a special release and increased the MSRP by $1.00. Saw that as huge **** move and have been put off alot of what that company touches; to an extent. I basically refuse to buy any special line from them and mostly stick to normal lines.

There are too many other brands that are FAR more deserving of my loyalty and cash to waste my time on brand that screws over its customers.
You've stated exactly what Habanos have done with LE an RE lines at a real premium. They all do it. But you are correct about the AVO move was a bad business move.

Davidoff vs Padron? Hmmmm. Both quality cigars. Each have disappointed me. For Padron is was the Damaso. I was excited at what Padron could do with a Connecticut until I smoked it. Davidoff's disappointment was the Yamasa.

Padron is America. Davidoff is Europe. Padron is the Cuban evacuee story. Davidoff the Russian emigre story. Both beat Cuba in one way or the other.

Padron is sitting in the Miami sun wearing a guayabera shirt playing dominoes on the sidewalk sipping a mojito. Davidoff is being in Manhattan sitting is a leather chair in the lounge wearing a suit and sipping a Martini reading the news.

I can't call it.....but....Padron.

Davidoff vs Padron? Hmmmm. Both quality cigars. Each have disappointed me. For Padron is was the Damaso. I was excited at what Padron could do with a Connecticut until I smoked it. Davidoff's disappointment was the Yamasa.

Padron is America. Davidoff is Europe. Padron is the Cuban evacuee story. Davidoff the Russian emigre story. Both beat Cuba in one way or the other.

Padron is sitting in the Miami sun wearing a guayabera shirt playing dominoes on the sidewalk sipping a mojito. Davidoff is being in Manhattan sitting is a leather chair in the lounge wearing a suit and sipping a Martini reading the news.

I can't call it.....but....Padron.
Padron is not what it used to be either. The only way either beat Cuba is by being legal. Padron is a bargain at half the price, Davidoff isn't. :cool:

Holy shit! That's a lot of little squiggly lines.
1621535003952.png

I have never had a Davidoff before and have been thinking the same thing “are they really good and worth it?” So this thread made me order a 5 pack of Night Hour Churchill, Signature 2000 and the Yamasa. Looking forward to trying them.

@Jared Nomack there are some sites that you can use that would save you some on having to pay full price for Davidoffs, especially if you are patient.
cigar Monster (a subsidiary of Famous) and if you use coupon code DOJO17, you can save 17%, either at Famous or at Cigar Monster
Or Small Batch Cigars, use coupon code DOJO for 10% off.

@Jared Nomack there are some sites that you can use that would save you some on having to pay full price for Davidoffs, especially if you are patient.
cigar Monster (a subsidiary of Famous) and if you use coupon code DOJO17, you can save 17%, either at Famous or at Cigar Monster
Or Small Batch Cigars, use coupon code DOJO for 10% off.
I tried Famous but the Dojo codes wouldn’t work. Davidoff was excluded from those codes :-(

(C/P here from The Daily thread)

Ok, I'm a bit confused (not hard to do). Listening to The Cigar Authority podcast, and they had the owner of Aladino cigars on (can't remember his name). I was under the impression that Aladino bought Camacho and made it their "corojo brand", thus changing the profile of traditional Camacho cigars drastically from what people remember. However, in the Davidoff thread, it was stated that Davidoff killed Camacho (profile-wise) when they acquired them. Is Aladino a subsidiary of Davidoff? I'll cross-post in that thread, as well.

Ok, I'm a bit confused (not hard to do). Listening to The Cigar Authority podcast, and they had the owner of Aladino cigars on (can't remember his name). I was under the impression that Aladino bought Camacho and made it their "corojo brand", thus changing the profile of traditional Camacho cigars drastically from what people remember. However, in the Davidoff thread, it was stated that Davidoff killed Camacho (profile-wise) when they acquired them. Is Aladino a subsidiary of Davidoff? I'll cross-post in that thread, as well.
It’s my understanding that the Aladino brand is made by CLE cigars, the company that the Eiroa family formed after they sold the Camacho brand to the Oettinger Davidoff group. It seems like a common tactic.
1) Make boutique cigars and develop a following.
2) Sell brand to large conglomerate.
3) Form new brand, with large cash reserve.

EP Carillo, Drew Estate, and many others all went this way.

The Camacho brand used to be owned by the Eoria (so?) family but then sold it to Davidoff. They then started two different brands: Aladino with is owned by the das and one brother. They also have huge farms within that brand. The other brand is Eoria (I know that is misspelled but whatever) and that is Cristian’s brand.

The Camacho brand used to be owned by the Eoria (so?) family but then sold it to Davidoff. They then started two different brands: Aladino with is owned by the das and one brother. They also have huge farms within that brand. The other brand is Eoria (I know that is misspelled but whatever) and that is Cristian’s brand.
Good thing you caught "Eoria" being shield wrong. 😜

It’s my understanding that the Aladino brand is made by CLE cigars, the company that the Eiroa family formed after they sold the Camacho brand to the Oettinger Davidoff group. It seems like a common tactic.
1) Make boutique cigars and develop a following.
2) Sell brand to large conglomerate.
3) Form new brand, with large cash reserve.

EP Carillo, Drew Estate, and many others all went this way.

I think it's JRE, not CLE?

I think it's JRE, not CLE?
Making me search fer shit..grumble. ;)

Making me search fer shit..grumble. ;)

Your search skills could be improved: :p

Lessons available on request (fees modest compared to value provided).

m

Ah Aladino cigars, friggin awesome smokes. Especially the Reservas! If you liked the classic Camacho Corojo, pre sale to Davidoff, do your self a favor and try one of the Reservas. These have been a main staple in my rotation for the last year or two. They've made my dislike of large ring gauge cigars subside. They are one of the only brands I'll buy anything larger than a 54 rg in.

Christian of CLE and Justo of JRE are brothers. Their father supplies the leaves for both. I met Justo a few times and I believe their uncle once at the local lounge, which is a Aladino lounge.

Edit to Add: In fact, I am finishing off one of their factory gordos now. Very good for a ~$2.70 smoke!

Ah Aladino cigars, friggin awesome smokes. Especially the Reservas! If you liked the classic Camacho Corojo, pre sale to Davidoff, do your self a favor and try one of the Reservas. These have been a main staple in my rotation for the last year or two. They've made my dislike of large ring gauge cigars subside. They are one of the only brands I'll buy anything larger than a 54 rg in.

Christian of CLE and Justo of JRE are brothers. Their father supplies the leaves for both. I met Justo a few times and I believe their uncle once at the local lounge, which is a Aladino lounge.

Edit to Add: In fact, I am finishing off one of their factory gordos now. Very good for a ~$2.70 smoke!
They have factory smokes? Where did you find them?