• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Article: How to be a beer enthusiast without being an @$$hol

BigJake6904

Fat Texan
We all know "that guy." I found this to be an interesting and rather accurate article based off of the ridiculous amount of micro breweries popping up just in my area. I love craft beer...but there is a snobby like cultural shift (particularly in my age group) that could be toned down a few notches. 

Link

This shift comes from the inherent desire to be better at something you're passionate about than the average guy.

The wherewithal to not come off as an a$$hat comes from maturity and respect, which is hard to find when you're several pints deep and some guy orders a Coors Light...

I agree with you Jake, less bitchy beer bro's, and more guys willing to educate someone that feels overwhelmed when trying to order and just blurts out "American Adjunct Light Lager Water Beer, we've all seen that guy. Matter o'fact at one point in time, long ago we probably were that guy in some shape or form.

You can definitely point out the fussy fanboys, complaining about this and that, the next craft brewery sellout (Elysian) or chasing the latest "locals only release" and whatnot.

Drink what you like and like what you drink, but.....but if you find yourself curious about all the talk, I pray that you can find a humble beer geek to help you on your journey.

Jimmy

I admit I read the forums of beer advocate more to torture myself than for info. They are a good resource covered in a thick layer of douche and pretense. Just my opinion.

I buy good beer and I enjoy good beer. If you want to talk about the hop profile of a beer with me, cool. If you just want to drink a Budweiser and watch the game with me, that's cool too.

I like good beer, but I also like mass produced beer at times too.  On a hot 110 degree day in Ok, I'll reach for a Summer Shandy/Bud Light, before I reach for any of my good beers.

We have a satellite of one of the Local Breweries on Base here at Ft Carson, Colorado Mountain Brewing, they make some really good beers, but when we have any sort of Army Gathering there, all of a sudden everyone I work with is a beer expert, now I brew my own beer, and have been since 2008, so I understand what goes into making a good or bad beer, but when asked, I usually just say "taste pretty good" or "not my thing".  Last thing I want to do is encourage some drunk guy that is an expert on craft and micro beer because he lives in Colorado now.....

MX said:
We have a satellite of one of the Local Breweries on Base here at Ft Carson, Colorado Mountain Brewing, they make some really good beers, but when we have any sort of Army Gathering there, all of a sudden everyone I work with is a beer expert, now I brew my own beer, and have been since 2008, so I understand what goes into making a good or bad beer, but when asked, I usually just say "taste pretty good" or "not my thing".  Last thing I want to do is encourage some drunk guy that is an expert on craft and micro beer because he lives in Colorado now.....
As homebrewers that live in Colorado, we ARE experts Timmy!  :sign: