• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton ESG's

I have 5 myself resting away for the right moment but I was just wondering what people think about any need to age these before lighting one up. I know aging will help them but are they also ready straight from the box seeing that aged tobacco is used in the making of this cigar. With them being pricey I don't want to waste one just because of some impatience.

From the reviews that i've seen from membeers of this and other boards i think it would be pretty safe to say that these are ready staight from the box and will improve with age.

From the reviews that i've seen from membeers of this and other boards i think it would be pretty safe to say that these are ready staight from the box and will improve with age.

They had better be ready out of the box. They have been delayed for almost a year now :angry: and I would say early supplies are probably older than that. Could work out to the advantage of this cigar though, and I can't wait to try a couple.

Anyone know of a B&M in Va with ESGs Yet :cool: ?

CYG

Smoked mine Saturday night, it was pretty nice. Definalty a unique blend and worth a try. :thumbs:

Had one last night and it was worth the wait. Pricing in NYC was at $24.88, plus sales tax. So I don't think I'll be buying a box anytime soon from that source.

Sniffed one I have and they smell great. Wrapper smells of Opus and the binder/filler smell of VSG. Not a better combination!

Sniffed one I have and they smell great. Wrapper smells of Opus and the binder/filler smell of VSG. Not a better combination!

I did the same thing...took an Opus X, a VSG and the ESG to compare the nuance's (sp?) on the nose. The ESG wrapper has hints of Opus but since it is a sungrown version, has a bit more spiciness to it. The filler definetly smells of VSG, maybe a little older than the normal VSG...kinda like the Wizard #37's that are out right now (better than normal VSG tobacco, IMHO).

-Fetter

I just smoked an ESG that I picked up a week and a half ago. I managed to get my hands on 6 of these from 2 different sources. I paid $21.60 from one source, and $25 from another. I smoked the $21.60 today (so it's probably not as good as the more expensive one :thumbs: ). They've been sitting in my humidor at 75 degrees and 66% RH. 2 liters of Diet Sams club soda accompanied the experience. I smoked outside after lunch (sunny skies, 80 degrees, light wind, and too many flies).

The wrapper was flawless. I cut the cap with a Xicar I and prelight draw was perfect. I could appreciate sweet tones mixed with a healthy barnyard taste. After toasting the cigar with a Nimbo 2 flame butane lighter, I was impressed with a very pleasant first draw.

The flavours are characteristic fuente, however the sum total was unlike any previous offering that I've appreciated. The ESG is a bit more leathery than other Fuente smokes. There were also sweet elements, such as cocco, coffee, and honey (to me, these flavours are more reminiscent of the Diamond crown line). There were also nuances of floral tones (which I think others would describe as spice). These flavours were consistent throughout the entire smoke. The taste did mellow after the first third and throughout the remainder of the smoke.

Burn was razor sharp, and the ash was a beautiful white that greyed over a period of five minutes. There was plentiful amounts of thick white smoke throughout. I've heard people say that this cigar is deceptively strong, and I would wholeheartedly agree. The smoke is satisfyingly strong from the get go, but you're hit by a strong nicotine buzz by the last third (much uinlike the diamond crown line, which I find to be too weak). I never needed a relight, and I almost nubbed all $21.60 (to be fair, I left about 1/2", or $1.54 worth of cigar).

From this experience, I think that the ESG shouldn't necessarily require any more aging.

Now for the editorial...

I've heard a number of people comment that they were'nt impressed by the ESG, and I'm sure you've also read that some people found it dissapointing. On the other end of the spectrum, I've read people say that this is the best cigar they've ever smoked bar none. A while earlier, someone posted the brief cigar insider review and overall score of 88. Personally, I disagree with all of the above. This was a great cigar. So is the anejo 77, as well as the Opus Double Corona, and the entire PAM line. I would rank this cigar (in terms of satisfaction) with any of the above (on the Spinal Tap scale, I would rank tham all an 11 :sign: ). Although taste is subjective, I don't think anyone here would disagree. If any of these cigars cost 1/4 as much and were easily obtainable, we would smoke them all regularily and appreciate them for what they were (then perhaps we would chase afer expensive flavoured Ghurka's and limited Perdomos (both of which I havent tried and have absolutely no desire)). They're relative scarcity and cost make them all the more attractive (we all want what we can't have) and I think that makes us appreciate them more.

In the meantime, I'll cherish the remaining five of these that I have. When I smoke the $25 one, I'll post an updated review!

Edit: For spelling changes

I just smoked an ESG that I picked up a week and a half ago. I managed to get my hands on 6 of these from 2 different sources. I paid $21.60 from one source, and $25 from another. I smoked the $21.60 today (so it's probably not as good as the more expensive one :thumbs: ). They've been sitting in my humidor at 75 degrees and 66% RH. 2 liters of Diet Sams club soda accompanied the experience. I smoked outside after lunch (sunny skies, 80 degrees, light wind, and too many flies).

The wrapper was flawless. I cut the cap with a Xicar I and prelight draw was perfect. I could appreciate sweet tones mixed with a healthy barnyard taste. After toasting the cigar with a Nimbo 2 flame butane lighter, I was impressed with a very pleasant first draw.

The flavours are characteristic fuente, however the sum total was unlike any previous offering that I've appreciated. The ESG is a bit more leathery than other Fuente smokes. There were also sweet elements, such as cocco, coffe, and honey (to me, these flavours are more reminiscent of the Diamond crown line). There were also nuances of floral tones (which I think others would describe as spice). These flavours were consistent throughout the entire smoke. The taste did mellow after the first third and throughout the remainder of the smoke.

Burn was razor sharp, and the ash was a beautiful white that greyed over a period of five minutes. There was plentiful amounts of thick white smoke throughout. I've heard people say that this cigar is deceptively strong, and I would wholeheartedly agree. The smoke is satisfyingly strong from the get go, but you're hit by a strong nicotine buzz by the last third (much uinlike the diamond crown line, which I find to be too weak). I never needed a relight, and I almost nubbed all $21.60 (to be fair, I left about 1/2", or $1.54 worth of cigar).

From this experience, I think that the ESG shouldn't necessarily require any more aging.

Now for the editorial...

I've heard a number of people comment that they were'nt impressed by the ESG, and I'm sure you've also read that some people found it dissapointing. On the other end of the spectrum, I've read people say that this is the best cigar they've ever smoked bar none. A while earlier, someone posted the brief cigar insider review and overall score of 88. Personally, I disagree with all of the above. This was a great cigar. So is the anejo 77, as well as the Opus Double Corona, and the entire PAM line. I would rank this cigar (in terms of satisfaction) with any of the above (on the Spinal Tap scale, I would rank tham all an 11 :sign: ). Although taste is subjective, I don't think anyone here would disagree. If any of these cigars cost 1/4 as much and were easily obtainable, we would smoke them all regularily and appreciate them for what they were (then perhaps we would chase afer expensive flavoured Ghurka's and limited Perdomos (both of which I havent tried and have absolutely no desire)). They're relative scarcity and cost make them all the more attractive (we all ant what we can't have) and I think that makes us appreciate them more.

In the meantime, I'll cherish the remaining five of these that I have. When I smoke the $25 one, I'll post an updated review!

That's a hell of a review... Thanks!!! :thumbs:
I... must... get... one!!!

Thanks again lordlister!!!
David

Well, I liked mine, tasted great with a glass of Camus XO cognac,

Powerful smoke indeed.

Ashton ESG vs. Perdomo EDS --- Too close to call depends on what my mood calls for.

Talked to my local BM today( you can't find an older Fuente account on the East Coast anywhere) Still waiting. Best guess is maybe mid-late August. He's just as confused as we are. I just don't get it. Is this all over a wrapper? Give me a break.

Lordlister, thanks for the great review.

I was a bit surprised by the Cigar Insider rating this last week of 88 (blind tasting), since the preliminary rating was 91-93 (non-blind tasting) a few months ago.

For some, the high price and rarity have pissed people off to the whole Ashton/Fuente marketing and made this another over-marketed, plain cigar with a fancy band.

For others, the price and rarity have made this cigar even better. A cigar for special occasions; a prize perhaps.

From what I've seen at my local B&Ms, they either got 1 box and were sold out within a few days (even with 1 or 2 stick limits) or they never got them to begin with. We can only hope that the supply increases, since the price isn't going down.

(Does anyone know if a cigar price has ever been lowered after an initial release?)

(Does anyone know if a cigar price has ever been lowered after an initial release?)

Sure, it has happened, but it won't happen with these cigars. If it is any consolation, this size (the Churchill) is very likely to be the most expensive ESG size that they come out with. I'd imagine the Robustos due out in December or so will be ~$15 a stick.

I managed to get my hands on four of these lovelies...have not smoked one yet. Paid $18 apiece for them...straight up MSRP I believe. My local guy has not gotten any as of yet...might not. In talking to the Ashton Rep. at the RTDA, they only made 2000 boxes...Ashton has 3000 accounts. Sounds like a lot of stores won't be seeing these.

My B$M owner has three stores and a large Ashton account. He got one box. :angry: He told me that all of the East coast only got 25 boxes total.

Doc.

With all this Hubbub, if I was a store owner, I would just keep them for myself and would not sell them at all.

But, of course, I would share some with you other CPers! :D

So what ever happened with the guy that started this thread and his 4 boxes?

Holt's Cigar Store in Philadelphia seems to have a regular supply of the ESG (it probably has something to do with the owner of Holt's owning the Ashton label). They are going for $18 each plus 7% sales tax. You can only buy two at a time. I tried one last weekend and thought it was excellent (although $18 is very steep). It is the first cigar in years to leave me a little light headed.

Back