• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashtrays

Those are cool for sure, if the material is aluminum or ss would it be hard to mate to other metal?
They're SS, and for non-structural - it welds to dissimilar metals very well (although it really likes to warp...). One more xmas gift to square away and I want to start putting something together.

Thought about cutting the side out of the keg and put in a couple shelves - like for collectibles or what not.

They're SS, and for non-structural - it welds to dissimilar metals very well (although it really likes to warp...). One more xmas gift to square away and I want to start putting something together.

Thought about cutting the side out of the keg and put in a couple shelves - like for collectibles or what not.
That's a cool idea! I wonder if you could cut the top off and flip it over and make that the ashtray

It'd be on the large side - but I love that idea!

20211024_164310-01.jpeg

20211024_164340-01.jpeg
About 9" around and 6" tall at the most (depends on the actual depth of the dish). For the top I think 16" x 20" or so - that would give nice space for refreshments and the ashtray.

(Just FYI - I'm using the rougher looking one for mockups - the other will be for the build. I'll use the top of the rough one for the ashtray though - it'll clean up OK I think)

I bought this one last year. Liked the looks
t6AFIXE.jpg

It'd be on the large side - but I love that idea!

View attachment 48315

View attachment 48316
About 9" around and 6" tall at the most (depends on the actual depth of the dish). For the top I think 16" x 20" or so - that would give nice space for refreshments and the ashtray.

(Just FYI - I'm using the rougher looking one for mockups - the other will be for the build. I'll use the top of the rough one for the ashtray though - it'll clean up OK I think)
I think we are on to something here.

On the use of brake drums/rotors...

One of the guys in the main office is a Porsche guy, so naturally he built a little end table from a couple of Porsche rotors and a coil over. It's a tension leg with the cables compressing the spring a bit to make it all rigid.

I thought he did a pretty decent job, the basic idea could be made into a stand ashtray simple enough.

IMG_9351.jpg

On the use of brake drums/rotors...

One of the guys in the main office is a Porsche guy, so naturally he built a little end table from a couple of Porsche rotors and a coil over. It's a tension leg with the cables compressing the spring a bit to make it all rigid.

I thought he did a pretty decent job, the basic idea could be made into a stand ashtray simple enough.

View attachment 48326
That's a neat idea, expensive scrap though!

How well do they hold up to the elements? I have a smaller one and I bring it in and out with me. I wanted to get a large on to keep outside. I would keep it in the deck box, so it wouldn’t get rained on the the humidity here is horrid.
Sorry about the late reply, I missed this. I have a roof over my deck so it gets some rain when it is a really bad storm and the snow comes in through the sides, but so far the brass has held up great outside.

The kegs are a little short for a chair-side ashtray. Kicking around some thoughts. Still have a steel plate as the top. Not sure about the mix of items though.
View attachment 48718
Yes I can see how they kinda don't flow... maybe without the rotor on top? Add a small Trey for a drink?

It's almost like popping open geodes - never know what you have until you do...

Cut up one of the kegs to see what's what.

20211114_114815-01.jpeg

I intentionally cut them a little deep - easier to cut more off than add some back. The bottom one is the guinea pig. Polished up amazing well.

20211114_123120-01.jpeg

Quite beautiful inside in my opinion. The one with the siphon tube has lot's of possibilities - also has way more character. I'm sort of slow but it'll come to me.

20211114_123729-01.jpeg
20211114_123925-01.jpeg

That could be it right there! So the stem and siphon tube are the bottom like a shelf or a tray for lighters and such.

Then the the other half could be attached at the top like a bowl. Wled some curved tabs like a well known ashtray manufacturer and boom.

That was one of the first things that popped into my head.

What I'm conflicted on are:
  • The bottom with stem, it has a decent sized dish to it - not flat. Anything set into it would slide down to the middle.
  • Gotta have themed cigar rests - something with style!
  • Nowhere to put drinks, maybe outrigger bottle/glass holders.
  • It'll get tippy in a hurry if it has a top that extends out enough to hold drinks.
  • Cleaning out a non-removal ashtray can be a PITA.
Not really showstoppers, just stuff I think about.

Also thought of a table lamp with the ashtray base and a light of some sort at the top of the siphon.

That was one of the first things that popped into my head.

What I'm conflicted on are:
  • The bottom with stem, it has a decent sized dish to it - not flat. Anything set into it would slide down to the middle.
  • Gotta have themed cigar rests - something with style!
  • Nowhere to put drinks, maybe outrigger bottle/glass holders.
  • It'll get tippy in a hurry if it has a top that extends out enough to hold drinks.
  • Cleaning out a non-removal ashtray can be a PITA.
Not really showstoppers, just stuff I think about.

Also thought of a table lamp with the ashtray base and a light of some sort at the top of the siphon.
Those are some very legitimate points. Non-removable bowl shouldn't be a real big deal as long as it's smooth to wipe out. But your right it would be convenient to remove it for cleaning.

If you used one of those brake drums as a base it could offset the weight and add some height. Perhaps some glasses holsters on the stem?

41oki3AWIgL._AC_SX425_.jpg