• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Astros vs. Cardinals NLCS 2005 Thread

tdog

Since noone has started a single thread with the cards in it, here it is.
Yo Grand, brother, how bout that little friendly wager.

GO CARDS!!!

Series tied 1 game a piece, moving to Houston. I hope Reggie is okay. He has been lights out this postseason.

GO CARDS ....didnt really think they had a chance, guess i was wrong

:thumbs:

grand cru no 2 said:
tdog, what do you have in mind brother? :cool:
[snapback]237834[/snapback]​

A cool five, how's that? If you have a better idea let me know.

grand cru no 2 said:
Tdog, I've got a 10 pack of smokes that says the Good Guys take this series. You game?
[snapback]237884[/snapback]​

Cool deal, but I already have the Good Guys- Go Cards!! :p

The Cards don't deserve crap after royally blowing it in last year's Series.

Besides you gotta love this Stros team, they got a smart GM who has wisely invested this teams resources. I betcha Beltran is tearing his hair out over going to the Mets.

Stros in six!

The Astros SPLITTING in St. Louis was HUGE!!! :thumbs: It's now a five game series with three in Houston and two in St. Louis.

Considering that these are the Astros starting pitchers for the series with the Cardinals, I'd say the Cardinals are SCREWED!! :laugh:

Game 3: Clemens
Game 4: Backe
Game 5: Pettitte
Game 6: Oswalt
Game 7: Clemens

Astros bats are coming alive. Cardinals STILL have a great team, who's this short stop, Eckstein? HOLY MOMMA, he's good. Edmonds and Pujols are scary as always. If the Cardinals have any sort of "weak spot" it would be their bull pen.

I like the Astros chances this year. At this point last year, we were down 0-2. Last year the home team won every game. The Astros were able to break that one in their favor/

GO ASTROS

Peekay said:
The Cards don't deserve crap after royally blowing it last year's Series.

[snapback]238035[/snapback]​

I call Bullsh1t! That was last year and it is the wild card team that "don't deserve crap"! MLB has 162 games in the regular season. During those the records were.......

_____W____L____GB
STL__100___62___-
HOU__89___73___11

After playing 162 games with the above results you tell me who "don't deserve crap"....

Basically baseball has turned into hockey. Long tedious seasons don't mean less and less. Best record in baseball doesn't even get home field advantage because of the numbnuts rule that an exhibition game (All Star game) means something. Hell, neither team in that game is the best possible team anyway. It's all about money and some of the purity of the game has been purchased. After a 162 game season winners should go on and losers should go home.

Wild card teams have won the last 5 World Series. It pays to be hot and healthy at the end of the year.

golfgar said:
After a 162 game season winners should go on and losers should go home.

[snapback]238123[/snapback]​

That statement sounds like a man who's scared. :cool:

But I can't blame you, Astros lead the series 2-1 with 2 more games in Houston! :thumbs:

grand cru no 2 said:
golfgar said:
After a 162 game season winners should go on and losers should go home.

[snapback]238123[/snapback]​

That statement sounds like a man who's scared. :cool:

But I can't blame you, Astros lead the series 2-1 with 2 more games in Houston! :thumbs:
[snapback]238226[/snapback]​

Scared, I don't think so buddy, the Cards may lose and they had the chance to do so against the Padres as anything can happen in a short series. I have never liked wild cards and that crap in baseball, for me this is not a new rant. It is what it is, but that doesn't mean I have to approve it, like it, or condone it. My roots extend before era of NLDS and NLCS. This system has been in place for a long time, not going to change, reality.

But I do get pissed when the prior post and says that the Cards don't deserve to be in the Series, that's BS my friend. Not too many years back, and for many years before that there were no playoffs in baseball, winners won and losers went home.

Yep, he's scared. ;) :D

Quite frankly whoever wins the NL series is who belongs in the WS...period! I disagree with "whoever gets hot at the end of the year" theory....thats BS. The stros had almost an identical W/L record as Atlanta (-1) and a better record than the Padres (+7) and you want to say that they don't belong? Winning the WS has never been about who's the best team and never will...its about who played their best ball during a 7 game series. You either play your best ball during the playoffs or go home.

If you ask me the best series last year was the Stros and Cards and I expect nothing less this year. So far it hasn't let me down.

I don't think regular season records mean anything.

You have teams that start slow but finish strong - Astros.
You have teams that start strong but finish fading - White Sox.
You have teams that played well all year - Cardinals.

They're all in the playoffs and all that matters is who plays better TODAY. The Cardinals are consistantly good. But then again, so are the Braves. And we all know their playoff history.

In 2001, Seattle won 116 games. No one cares they won a bunch of meaningless games. They lost when it really mattered.

Go big... or go home. I love playoffs, no matter what sport it is. Brings out some damn good competition. :thumbs:

Gotta side with golfgar on this one. Not scared at all, the Cards took 11 of the 16 games they meet the stros in the regular season.

vewyphishy said:
No one cares they won a bunch of meaningless games.
[snapback]238295[/snapback]​

Bingo! You now understand my point, that MLB has made the season 162 games, virtually meaningless.

Within the divisions the teams all play pretty much the same schedule, so while the Astos for instance have virtually the same record as say the Braves, they did not play the same teams the same number of time.

Thats just crazy...... I would WANT TO meet a team I've beat 2/3rds of the time during the regular season in the National league playoffs. Are you kidding me? LOL How much sweeter can that be?

The comparison about Atlanta's record to the Stros are correct. They didn't play the same teams.... exactly the point of having a wild card. The fact that if the stros or several other teams would have been playing in the weak west division they would have been a division winner.

Just step up and playball..... the regular season is what you do to get to the playoffs (8 teams out of 30 is NOT overkill).... Now its time to show up.

BTW, I've been an Astros fan since back in the 70's. With that said I turned down several very serious bets at the beginning of the series (I did take the friendly ones though). As much as I love my Stros I will concede that the Cards has been the better team up to this point.

_36797350_150pope.jpg

One more and these Cards are done...

Eh Whoop!

GO STROS!!!

ASTROS WIN!!!

And Pettitte is going tomorrow!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!

I've been an Astros fan since 1974 and I agree with you Kenny, while I want 'em to win, the Cardinals are a great team. What was encouraging though was the fact that we took those two games from them AT St.Louis near the end of September. Oswalt beat Morris in the first one and Isringhausen blew the second game. :thumbs: