• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Astros vs. Cardinals NLCS 2005 Thread

Wow, what a game for the Cardinals! I had just about given up on them. I should know better.

:thumbs: I haven't been able to watch a full game this NLCS, because I have had to work every night that there has been a game. I was on my way home last night in the 7th listening on the radio while the Cards have a 2-1 lead. I walk in the house and rush to flick on the TV just in time to see Berkman nail a 3-run homer. I am pissed at this point. I haven't seen a single game yet and I turn it on in time to see St. Louis loose the lead. WTF?? I start going through the humi to pick out 10 sticks for Grand Cru (got a little freindly wager on the NLCS w/ him). My wife is making fun of me as the bottom of the ninth starts and I see the lineup thinking that there is no way that Pujols is going to make it to the plate. Two awful strikeouts and OH, don't forget this is Lidge!!! Then Eickstein battles for a hit, Edmonds walks ( I don't know how he layed off those inside breaking balls), and then Pujols. I told my wife that they won't pitch to him. And they did. Like Kenny said, I told her that they better make him chase the pitches out of the strike zone and WHAM, the awesome (and I am not being sarcastic, he is awesome) Lidge hangs a slider in the wheelhouse. What a GAME!!!

Let's go back to Busch, this is a new series and I heard momentum change directions. I will be off Wednesday and Thursday, I finally get to watch a few games. :thumbs:

Wow! One strke away from the series. I just can't imagin being an Astros fan right now.

One play that is not getting the attention it deserves is the tag that Molina made at home. Pujols made a quick throw and the sweeping tag made by Molina was a thing of beauty. To me it rivals what Jeter did a few years ago.

pujols2.jpg

May not be enough to win the series, but it was an awesome end of game 5. The Cards' didn't even have an "Izzy Cushion" to work with. At least one more game at old Busch stadium. Whoda thunk it?

I'd love to be in Busch Stadium tomorrow night. You got any connections, Golfgar?

Pyre said:
I'd love to be in Busch Stadium tomorrow night. You got any connections, Golfgar?
[snapback]239059[/snapback]​

Gave the tickets away, do have game 7 if needed though. Did you go the Tiger game Saturday?

golfgar said:
Pyre said:
I'd love to be in Busch Stadium tomorrow night.  You got any connections, Golfgar?
[snapback]239059[/snapback]​

Gave the tickets away, do have game 7 if needed though. Did you go the Tiger game Saturday?
[snapback]239062[/snapback]​

Nope, didn't get tickets. I was hoping the game would be televised, but I couldn't find it on anywhere.

Maggs44 said:
One play that is not getting the attention it deserves is the tag that Molina made at home. Pujols made a quick throw and the sweeping tag made by Molina was a thing of beauty. To me it rivals what Jeter did a few years ago.
[snapback]239040[/snapback]​

Bingo.... while the HR's are flashy and make for good replays snipets on the news that play at home plate was heads up ball at its finest. Of course Molina also came close to costing the game with that throw from the foul ball up the first base line. Talk about looking clumsy.

I will start to worry if they get past Oswalt. ;) :)

The big hole in the Cards regular lineup is the one left by Rollen. He would have made a big difference defensively if not at the plate. Stros' pitching is very tough.

golfgar said:
The big hole in the Cards regular lineup is the one left by Rollen. He would have made a big difference defensively if not at the plate. Stros' pitching is very tough.
[snapback]239176[/snapback]​
Oh yeah, that's for sure :0 I remember him from last year. Walker seems to be having a better year this year than last year, don't you think?

I tell ya, that Eckstien guy is INCREDIBLE :0 He's gotta be one of the best short stops in the majors. I also like you catcher (Molina). Who was the Cardinals catcher last year and what happened to him?

coventrycat86 said:
golfgar said:
The big hole in the Cards regular lineup is the one left by Rollen.  He would have made a big difference defensively if not at the plate.  Stros' pitching is very tough.
[snapback]239176[/snapback]​
Oh yeah, that's for sure :0 I remember him from last year. Walker seems to be having a better year this year than last year, don't you think?

I tell ya, that Eckstien guy is INCREDIBLE :0 He's gotta be one of the best short stops in the majors. I also like you catcher (Molina). Who was the Cardinals catcher last year and what happened to him?
[snapback]239178[/snapback]​

Last year the catcher was Mike Matheney and now he is in San Fransciso with Giants. For some reason he looked like he picked up a lot of muscle mass this year. :laugh:

Walker is on his last legs for sure. Not doing much with the bat.

Abraham Nunez was doing ok at 3rd, but Luna has only played 7 regular season games at third. Luna is a middle infielder.

i know im a day late but man did i run the gammet of emotions thru the course of this game :0

i just about scared my girlfriend to death when pujols hit that homer :D

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!

I met up with RicMac25 at the Mohegan Sun today. I was wearing my Astros jersey and I was surprised at the number of people who stopped me and were saying "Go Astros!!!" :thumbs:
pMLB2-1985112reg.jpg

When I stopped at WalMart on the way home, the same thing happened :0 For all this time, I thought I was the ONLY Astros fan in Connecticut! Nice to have people out of the blue stop me and wish the Astros good luck tonight!! :thumbs:

Just goes to show that there are fans from every team everywhere. Or at least they cheer for a certain team when theirs has been eliminated.

I have a friend who is a Bama fan and he says when he wears his Bama attire that complete strangers will come up and say "Roll Tide" no matter where he is.

True, especially these days when you can see games from teams in other parts of the country with MLB packages from your cable company or subscribing to MLB.com

Up until recently if you wanted to watch baseball, you were restricted to pretty much the team that was in your area which in my case is the Red Sox, the Yankees or the Mets. I bought a satellite dish 20 years ago and was able to watch every game every night from the uplinks WITHOUT commercials :thumbs: It's kind of funny to hear what the announcers say when they think they're off the air :D That all ended though in the late 1980's because they started scrambling ALL uplinks, the pay movie channels were the first to do this (HBO, The Movie Channel, Cinemax, etc.) and eventually the sports ones were scrambled too :(

Since I live in Yankees country, lots of Yankees fans gravitate towards the Astros because heck, we've got half their former pitching staff :laugh:

grand cru no 2 said:
The first pitch is less than an hour away. I can't wait!

GO ASTROS!!!!
[snapback]239642[/snapback]​

Oh c'mon you KNOW they waste a FULL HALF hour of BS before the first pitch. I was at a meeting and at 8:00 I said "Oh, I have to leave to see the first pitch. No wait, I'm only five minutes from home, I've got until 8:25" :laugh: Sure enough, I walked in at 8:30 to see the first pitch. :laugh: