• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

At an impass

I love the smell of my humi when I open it...I love the smell of cigars unlit and lit.....I love the complex flavors and the thick, beautiful plumes of smoke...I enjoy my cigars in the evening along with a drink or two.

Pretty normal huh?

but here's the problem...I absolutely HATE waking up in the middle of the night with that nasty, dry, cottony cigar tongue....so much so that I've considered just giving them up.
That ought to tell you how much I hate it......it's like a cat crapped in my mouth.

Does anyone know of a good way to at least minimize this if not eliminate it? One thought came to mind....drink more and you won't wake up..problem is, I'm just not a heavy drinker. A couple is about it for me. I know getting rid of it completely can probably only be accomplished by father time. I've searched threads and all I can find is breath freshening ideas for right after a cigar...usually aimed at making the wife happy. Any ideas?
Thanks

I have found that for me the amount of aftertaste left in my mouth really depends on the cigar. Although all cigars do have some sort of the effect you are talking about, some are less. Another thing that I have found, is you may want to try a shorter cigar, or perhaps not nub a longer cigar. If you are tasting any harshness or bitterness it tends to be worse. That's all I got, hope it helps.

"...nasty, dry, cottony cigar tongue..." I've actually never heard of this. Are you smoking a cigar and then going straight to bed after? I very seldom fire up a smoke after 9 p.m. unless it's on the weekend and then I usually stay up to around midnight, which by that time there's no cigar taste left in my mouth. I keep a dish of Lifesavers spearmints on the counter and grab one as I'm walking in and then another when I go back in the kitchen a little bit later. And of course, brush my teeth, tongue, and gargle with listerine at bedtime.

ummm, have you tried brushing your teeth, tongue and cheeks.
Also use a strong mouthwash
and any thing with a high level of citric acid...lemon juice, will help.

Tim

"...nasty, dry, cottony cigar tongue..." I've actually never heard of this. Are you smoking a cigar and then going straight to bed after? I very seldom fire up a smoke after 9 p.m. unless it's on the weekend and then I usually stay up to around midnight, which by that time there's no cigar taste left in my mouth. I keep a dish of Lifesavers spearmints on the counter and grab one as I'm walking in and then another when I go back in the kitchen a little bit later. And of course, brush my teeth, tongue, and gargle with listerine at bedtime.

No. I'm pretty much the same...8 or 9 pm smoke then hang out, watch some TV, maybe eat a little dinner or snack, then bed around midnight. One thought did occur to me though...I'm a pretty heavy guy and probably have sleep apnea and end up breathing through my mouth most of the night. On nights when I don't have a smoke I'm usually waking up with a dry mouth anyway and this may actually magnify the cigar taste on nights when I do smoke. By the time I go to bed...I can't usually taste anything..especially after brushing and mouthwash. I may have given you the impression that the cigars are causing it...that's not the case...I think the mouth breathing and the dry mouth may accentuate the cigar taste that remains. I just wish there was a way to draw it out better instead of just masking it. I fear time may be the only solution......or getting off my fat ass and losing weight so I'm not breathing through my mouth when I sleep. Thanks for the replies fellas.

ummm, have you tried brushing your teeth, tongue and cheeks.

Dohh!!! I knew I was forgetting something. ;)

I use a tongue scraper as soon as I'm done smoking. Quick rinse afterward with mouthwarsh (or a beer/bourbon) and all cigar tastes are gone. I live by that tongue scraper, tho! Hope that helps. :thumbs:

Nothing worse than the taste of freshly-crapped cat turds lingering on the palate. :0

Derek

If you are a mouth breather and have Apnea that is unchecked, you surely will wake up with dog breath, even if you don't smoke cigars. I have anpnea and went through the surgery called a UP3, but eventually opted for the CPAP machine.Cpap.com

Now, smoking cigars requires a more concentrated effort on oral hygiene, just as eating too much garlic will require more cologne or deodorant as your body wants to expel any impurities IMHO.

Not sure if you've read about apnea and its effect on the body, but if you ever have to go on the machine, remember it's like taking a prescription pill every night, like cholesterol, or high blood pressure, only you don't have to refill every month, saving you money and maybe prolonging your life. I'm 210lbs. and some of my other friends are 270plus and they use the machine too,so losing weight is something you don't have to do right now unless you have other health problems associated with it. Plus, my wife can sleep next to me as I don't snore anymore, one of the byproducts of using a cpap machine. Hope it helps so you don't consider quitting this great hobby!

Just my .02 cents.

Dave

If you are a mouth breather and have Apnea that is unchecked, you surely will wake up with dog breath, even if you don't smoke cigars. I have anpnea and went through the surgery called a UP3, but eventually opted for the CPAP machine.Cpap.com

Now, smoking cigars requires a more concentrated effort on oral hygiene, just as eating too much garlic will require more cologne or deodorant as your body wants to expel any impurities IMHO.

Not sure if you've read about apnea and its effect on the body, but if you ever have to go on the machine, remember it's like taking a prescription pill every night, like cholesterol, or high blood pressure, only you don't have to refill every month, saving you money and maybe prolonging your life. I'm 210lbs. and some of my other friends are 270plus and they use the machine too,so losing weight is something you don't have to do right now unless you have other health problems associated with it. Plus, my wife can sleep next to me as I don't snore anymore, one of the byproducts of using a cpap machine. Hope it helps so you don't consider quitting this great hobby!

Just my .02 cents.

Dave

Thanks for the info. I just dread going in for the sleep study. I really wouldn't seriously consider quitting...just wanted to indicate how much I hate the dry cigar mouth.

1) Smoke better cigars

2) Brush your teeth after you smoke a cigar

3) Gargle with mouthwash after you smoke a cigar

4) Eat something after you smoke a cigar

No. I'm pretty much the same...8 or 9 pm smoke then hang out, watch some TV, maybe eat a little dinner or snack, then bed around midnight. One thought did occur to me though...I'm a pretty heavy guy and probably have sleep apnea and end up breathing through my mouth most of the night. On nights when I don't have a smoke I'm usually waking up with a dry mouth anyway and this may actually magnify the cigar taste on nights when I do smoke. By the time I go to bed...I can't usually taste anything..especially after brushing and mouthwash. I may have given you the impression that the cigars are causing it...that's not the case...I think the mouth breathing and the dry mouth may accentuate the cigar taste that remains. I just wish there was a way to draw it out better instead of just masking it. I fear time may be the only solution......or getting off my fat ass and losing weight so I'm not breathing through my mouth when I sleep. Thanks for the replies fellas.

One thing you could try for the sleep apnea are those Breathe Right nasal strips. I had a bit of a sleep apnea problem about 10 years ago, but it was caused by a deviated septum from a nose injury back when I was a young'un. I used those nasal strips from the time I was diagnosed until my surgery. I still use them on occasion now to help when I'm congested with a cold or reduce my snoring (didn't bother anyone until after I got married... sheesh! :) )

Up here they come in 2 sizes, Small/Medium and Large, 2 types, regular (band-aid coloured) and senistive skin (clear), and 2 box sized, 10 and 30 packs.

Good luck!

I love the smell of my humi when I open it...I love the smell of cigars unlit and lit.....I love the complex flavors and the thick, beautiful plumes of smoke...I enjoy my cigars in the evening along with a drink or two.

Pretty normal huh?

but here's the problem...I absolutely HATE waking up in the middle of the night with that nasty, dry, cottony cigar tongue....so much so that I've considered just giving them up.
That ought to tell you how much I hate it......it's like a cat crapped in my mouth.

Does anyone know of a good way to at least minimize this if not eliminate it? One thought came to mind....drink more and you won't wake up..problem is, I'm just not a heavy drinker. A couple is about it for me. I know getting rid of it completely can probably only be accomplished by father time. I've searched threads and all I can find is breath freshening ideas for right after a cigar...usually aimed at making the wife happy. Any ideas?
Thanks

You don't have a cat do you?

If so, lock it out of the room at night, see if it helps.

I agree with Greg on this, I do what he does for the most part. I also drink Coca Cola with my cigars, the acidity helps remove all the built up oils and such from the smoke. I almost never have cigar mouth if I do that.

...any thing with a high level of citric acid...lemon juice, will help.

X2

Tongue scrapper and using anything with citrus will kill it. That's why sorbet is use to cleanse the palate.

1) Smoke better cigars

2) Brush your teeth after you smoke a cigar

3) Gargle with mouthwash after you smoke a cigar

4) Eat something after you smoke a cigar

1) Gurkha Centurion, RP Vintage 92, Graycliff 1666, Oliva Serie V (These aren't anything to scoff at)

2) I don't brush immediately after but an hour or two later before I go to bed.

3) I use mouthwash (Targon)

4) I almost always eat something right after a cigar.

I've almost decided that it's the mouth breathing at night. Waking up with a dry mouth is just that much worse when you had a cigar that night.
I think I'll try the breath right strips as one suggested. I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions.