• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Backpacking Humidor

Thanks for all the replies gents.

I think I need to try fitting my 15 count into my pack with the rest of my gear and supplies, and see if it all fits. I wish my pack was larger, but it's probably good that it isn't because I'd tend to fill it up.
Take a good long look at what you had in your pack for the last 2 or 3 hikes and if you did not use it then remove it. It's amazing how much shit you really don't need. Lighter equals easier in my book!

Take a good long look at what you had in your pack for the last 2 or 3 hikes and if you did not use it then remove it. It's amazing how much shit you really don't need. Lighter equals easier in my book!

That's good advise. The complicating factors is the last couple of times I've been out I've been with a buddy, so we split up the gear and chow between us. I'm going solo this time so I'll have to carry everything myself. I'm going a lot farther than he and I have done previously, so I'm taking a hard look at the weight I'll carry and replacing heavy things with lighter things. I did find out this week that I'll be able to resupply halfway through, so I won't have to pack 7 days of chow on the first step.

I have something that you might like Rob. Let me look for it and text you a pic.

I listened to all the advice you guys gave, and it was all good. I liked the idea of being able to hand out trail magic. I especially liked the idea of having two a day! I decided to just pack my 15 count Herf-a-dor even though it took up a significant amount of space in my pack. Once I had picked out 15 sticks and loaded the Herf-a-dor I ran into a few problems.

First of all, I wanted to take the few remaining PLPCs I bought before leaving Japan, as they're my favorite morning accompaniment to coffee, and what better place to enjoy them than mornings on the Appalachian Trail! However, the size difference between the petite coronas and other robustos and larger sticks I picked out prevented them from being held securely in the Herf-a-dor. I figured I could overcome this problem by storing it vertically in my pack, and that would limit the movement of the PLPCs. Worse yet, when I loaded everything I thought I needed and put my pack on the scales it tipped 52 pounds, so I emptied everything out of it and reexamined the need for every single ounce. The empty 15 count Herf-a-dor was a full pound by itself. At that point, I decided to use a Tupperware type container that would double as a cooking / eating dish. I realized the PLPCs wouldn't fit into my robusto-sized Tupperware, so I decided to put them in my coffee tumbler. It was a perfect solution that allowed me to pack 14 robustos and 8 PLPCs. I put everything into ziploc bags and added a Boveda humi pack.

Unfortunately, the weather on my hike was crummy, so I didn't have many opportunities to relax in the evening with a stick, but I was able to share some of my stash with fellow BOTLs I met along the way.

Using the coffee cup is a brilliant idea. Will have to remember that if needed.

If you started at 52 pounds before re-evaluating what did you end up with? Nice selection of sticks by the way.

I ended up at 48 lbs pack weight, including 10 days of chow, fuel and cigars; two changes of clothes; plus 8 lbs of water. It was still too much though. I'm in the middle of reading Ultralight Backpackin' Tips and I'm making plans to shed additional weight before the next trek.

I ended up at 48 lbs pack weight, including 10 days of chow, fuel and cigars; two changes of clothes; plus 8 lbs of water. It was still too much though. I'm in the middle of reading Ultralight Backpackin' Tips and I'm making plans to shed additional weight before the next trek.

Wow, 48 pounds, that would kill me! Where did you hike? I don't go over 30 for 4 nights 5 days. I can't imagine where I would go that I couldn't resupply in 5 or 6 days and most campsites are selected for their water source. I don't have any experience going more than 3 to 5 nights and all of it's been in New England but the through hikers I've met on the AT have all resupplied regulary and don't carrying more than a couple 16 oz bottles of water and maybe an empty 32oz platypus blatter to filter and fill for that night and next morning cooking. There's also no reason to bring extra cloths unless it's layering for warmth. Synthetic's dry quickly so swim in your cloths and hang them over night to dry.

I hiked the AT south starting in Harpers Ferry. I planned to go 100 miles to Big Meadow over 10 days, so the only feasible resupply points were on day 2 and day 10. (There was another one in the middle, but it was a 4 miles to town, and I didn't really want to spend half a day making a supply run, so I didn't consider it feasible.) To save hiking into town, I just carried enough for 9 days at the start, because I planned to stop at a hostel en route.

There wasn't any water source during the first 10 miles and it was 83 degrees when I set out, so I carried more water than normal -- I have a 100 oz Camel Back in my pack, and I had it full. I thought about dumping some of it to reduce the weight, but as it turned out I ran out of water just as I reached the first water point. After the first day I kept my water level about 1-1.5 qts on hand, depending on how far it was to the next water point. Most often the water points were about /4-1/2 mile off the trail, usually downhill, so it was easier to just hump some extra water than make the lengthy round-trip to resupply.

There wasn't anywhere to swim for laundry, but the weather turned to cold rain beginning on the second day and I ended up wearing almost all of my clothes all at once, except for spare socks and undies. Even so, they were only 7.5 oz. (I weighed EVERYTHING that went in the pack.) By the time I hit 50 miles my boots were soaked, so I was glad to have dry socks to rotate.

So are you doing the AT in sections or was that a one time thing?

I'm not sure. I intended to hike the Shenandoah National Park, but the wildfires there forced me to move my trip. I'd still like to do that section, maybe this fall, but not sure if I'll go beyond that. I've mostly hiked in the west, so this trip was a bit unusual for me.

My wife and I with another couple have 3 days planned for the middle of this month. We're staying at a cabin owned by the Conn chapter of the AT ( http://www.ct-amc.org/nwcamp/index.shtm ). We'll be doing day hikes. Up Bear Mtn the first afternoon and up to Everett the next day. We might venture into NY on the last day but I doubt it, wifey is usually done after two days of hiking, even if its from a base camp. In early June I'm hiking Mt Washington (3rd time) with my son (21), my future son-in-law (27) and his father who doesn't hike much but jogs regularly. For me hiking helps to relieve the stress of everyday life.

I don't have a picture of my setup. I bought a Passage 1 tent from REI. I'm pretty tall, so that ruled out a lot of ultralight tents. This was my first solo tent and it was a good compromise of cost, weight, and ease of setup. I survived a serious downpour with it and stayed dry, so I was pretty happy with it.

I didn't think I'd be comfortable in a hammock all night, but honestly I haven't tried to sleep in one longer than an afternoon nap.

Thanks John. BTW, did you get a new mobile number?

Hey Rob! I did, but I've texted you from that number (safety wire plier pics).

Sorry, forgot all about checking for my travel humidor right after I posted... :rolleyes:

Thanks John. I saw that text, but thought it was Chuck. LOL
LOL! You thought that was Chuck the entire time?? Didn't recognize the teal green toolbox in the pic I sent?..... ROFL!!!

I guess I didn't get that picture. Looking back on the texts now, that explains why "Chuck" was hanging out with CP buddies in March and watching airplanes taking off!