• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bacon Explosion!

Definitely going to have to try this when the weather gets warmer. I'm thinking of maybe adding some sort of amaretto to the sausage for a twist. There are just so many variations I want to try, such as an extra layer of mashed potatoes on top of the sausage, or pepperoni slices instead of bacon bits in the center, or mixing in raisins with the sausage.

Definitely going to have to try this when the weather gets warmer. I'm thinking of maybe adding some sort of amaretto to the sausage for a twist. There are just so many variations I want to try, such as an extra layer of mashed potatoes on top of the sausage, or pepperoni slices instead of bacon bits in the center, or mixing in raisins with the sausage.

Some good ideas Dave...
Except for the raisins...
Not so much!

-Rob

Don't be such a girl, Dave. This is manly food. Pig, pig, and pig. It would be a sin to all that is good in this world to taint the recipe with any type of fruit, vegetable, or an ingredient requiring miniature umbrellas.

Don't be such a girl, Dave. This is manly food. Pig, pig, and pig. It would be a sin to all that is good in this world to taint the recipe with any type of fruit, vegetable, or an ingredient requiring miniature umbrellas.

Hmm, good call, I guess pineapples are out then.

Is there a way to make this in the oven. For us city foke that live in appartments and can't fit a smoker on the fire excape

This "bacon explosion" was featured on our local Chicago FoxNews broadcast this morning! How funny!!!!

Some good ideas Dave...
Not so much!

-Rob

Mixing raisins in sausage, Brasciole, etc., is classic Italian Cooking. I love it.

This recipe has made National News. The nations saturated fat and Cholesterol Level should spike nicely now....except for Doc! :laugh:

Some good ideas Dave...
Not so much!

-Rob

Mixing raisins in sausage, Brasciole, etc., is classic Italian Cooking. I love it.

This recipe has made National News. The nations saturated fat and Cholesterol Level should spike nicely now....except for Doc! :laugh:

Adding raisins to sausage? Raisins? Sausage? You guys must be twelve year old ballerinas if you add fruit to your sausage. :angry:

So.....Did anyone really do this for the Super Bowl??

How did it turn out??

So.....Did anyone really do this for the Super Bowl??

How did it turn out??
YUP!

I started out using the whole pound of thick slice bacon, not the 5X5 like in the recipe said and sprinkled on some of my home made rib rub....

TheWeave-RibRub.jpg

Then I spread out the sausage meat on the bacon. I used about a 1 1/4 lbs of meat...a little less than the recipe. I didn't want this to be too big. The sausage meat was about 3/8" thick.

WeaveSausageMeat.jpg

Then I sprinkled on more rib rub and put on the fried bacon bits. I added the BBQ sauce after I took the picture because I almost forgot it!
SausageMeatBacon.jpg

Then I peeled the sausage meat off the bacon weave ( a bit of a bitch) and made a log of ground pig meat. You can see some of the bacon bits.
SausageRoll.jpg

Now I rolled it into a log by starting on the short side. You put your hand under the foil and flip it slowly onto the sausage roll. Then you turn the whole foil thing around....then I rolled the whole log toward the longer side and kept rolling until I had the seams on the bottom. It sounds a little harder than it really is...that part took all of 30 seconds. On the ends,you take the bottom bacon and put that up onto the roll end and drape the top bacon strip ends over those for a nice clean finish. You then sprinkle on more rub rub

CompleteRoll-Top.jpg

I put it in the oven at 225 for 2 1/2 hours. It had quite a bit of fat coming out...I periodically tilted the pan so the fat would go to the pan ends and away from the meat.

HalfWayDone.jpg

After it was done, I transfered it to a travel foil pan to bring to my buddy's house where we watched the Super Bowl. That was easier than I thought, it was quite rigid. It looked really nice and wasn't burnt or under cooked...the internal temp was 160 when I took it out. I figured we'd throw it back in the oven over there to heat it up to eating temp.
Done.jpg

We figured we would serve the main dishes at half time and I lost track of the pig roll with all the drinking and cigar smoking. My buddy's wife drown it in the BBQ sauce that I brought and killed it a little. I put it back in the oven for 20 minutes to bake on some of the sauce.

DoneBBQSauce.jpg

That last picture didn't come out so well as I had a bit to drink...but you get the idea. Everyone loved it and it was quite tasty...but I will make a few mods on the next attempt. Right off the bat I would put in some cheese...probably some sharp cheddar (par frozen) cut in long strips that I would slide in at each end when it was about 15-20 minutes from being done. It also needs some other tastes & texture inside...maybe something sweet to offset all the pork and some roasted pine nuts....We'll see.

All in all it was pretty easy to make...but I do a lot of cooking and BBQing anyway...I say give it a shot. ANYONE can do this. It would be cool to keep this thread going with everyone's variation on the original recipe.
Good Luck!

WOW, you sure no one went to the hospital after the game???
Rob...funny you should say that.

The guy that works nights at our local B&M canceled coming to our SB party. He was rushed to the hospital 3 weeks ago with his sugar off the charts and a cholesterol level over 650! When my buddy Tim told him about this thing I was making, he said he couldn't trust himself to be around food like this, way too tempting...plus he didn't want his wife standing guard over him all night!

As bad as the Bacon Explosion sounds, it was pretty good and didn't taste greasy...a lot of the fat drained off as it cooked :whistling:

I made this for a friend when he had a party last weekend. He had no idea what I was bringing. I just told him it would be a meaty surprise. (Cue the homosexual puns in 3... 2.... 1...... ).

The conversation, to the best of my recollection, went something like this:

Him: "Jeff... WTF is that thing?"
Me: "Remember the last 30 minutes of the movie Titanic?"
Him: <confused look on face> "Ya....?"
Me: "Imagine that exact opposite of that, in your mouth."

*fast forward 15 minutes*

Several others at the party: "This is amazing, can I have the recipe."
Party host (my friend): "Jeff, this is like a 5 minute orgasm in my mouth.... I love you."

And all was right with the world! :)

My arteries are clogging with meaty-goodness just looking at those pics! :D :love: