• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bad Cigar Experiences

the opus I find are constructed well

but for some one like me who's been smoking for a real long time

the qualities just not there

i agree.  they have nice construction.  sh#ty draw, and dull taste, but they look pretty.  i prefer the cigars that taste good, especially over the cigars that try to hide their poor taste behind pretty wrappers and 30 dollar price tags.

wileguile I don't know how old you are but that was very insightfull

does age really matter these days? i mean look at hef! damn i'd like to be that guy!

For the dog rocket pass I have a genuwine ASC Burmese Cheerrot. Just about turned green when I smoked it's companion.

Henry, I'll swap the Burmese for one of those year old Opus :)

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...wait, someone already said that.

JerryG

I got one for the Bad side of things. Lord of Jamaca 6x50, taste was great, finishes sweet and spicy with a hint of pecan, but the draw was so tight my cheeks hurt. Turn ya blue, man. I gotta get me a Draw Poker

A Caribbean Round (it might have even been called a "reject"...go figure). The taste was awful. Something like lawn grass or maybe lawn grass that a dog pissed on. Real bad. Even worse the cherry broke off and burnt the crap out of my shirt and pants. :(

Got a Medal of Honor Presedent and a Flor de Oliva Habano 2K, the Medal, I have had before and consider it passable+, the Oliva I have yet to smoke (anybody had one?) but there was a new box of Caribbean Rounds in the walk in and I picked up one to check for firmness (they are known for being "loose") and discovered it contained an half inch long "tunnel" on the wrapper all the way to the filler and beyond. Yep, Beetles. I know it wasn't from the Humidor, so it must have been from the manuf. or the Supplier (no clue who that is). This might be the wrong thread for this, but sounds like they (Caribbean Rounds) are protected about as well as they are built.

I bought that humidor from the Thompson Cigar Co. I smoke the black labels when im drunk, or I sale them to my fraternity brothers after initiation or when we gamble. For $30 it's a good deal if you sell 20 cigars for a dollar a piece.

Worst thing I ever smoked was something called a "Isla de Rico" or something to that effect. Smelled like manure and tasted horrible, tossed it in my neighbor's bushes!

:lookup:

Rod said:
Anyone ever try Middletons?  :D
Rod... I have your answer (over two years later).. Have I tried a Middleton? Yes, Rod, yes - I have. Two nights ago I encountered this particular breed of tobacco - and felt obliged to search for the name before starting a new topic...

I was at a tavern and ran into a group of cigar smokers... They watched me pull out my cigar and immediately absorbed me into their group. I was gathered into the group with the simple query: "Herf?" - to which I responded with a grunt and a grin...

Here's the rub - I was not completely in my right mind after a few drinks, and when we started discussing what we were smoking - I didn't recognize any of the names they were throwing out... and responded by saying things like, "Middleton? I've never had one of those..." - or - "Baccarat? The same name as the game? Is that a hard to find stick?"... and worst off ... "Those sound great - where can I can those?"

A few minutes later, I was puffing away on a gifted cigar (a Middleton) from one of my new comrades... Suddenly I was sober, and the taste was quite clear... and it was bad... Very Bad (tm)... It's only claim to fame was that it was fairly small... This was then followed by a gifted Baccarat - which it turns out is a lightly flavored cigar filled with incredibly cheap honduran tobacco (the worst of all worlds!)...

I smoked both of them to the band with a smile, of course... my mamma raised a polite boy (and I asked for it), albeit a very stupid one. Also, throughout this discussion - I gave away the contents of my cigar-case to my new friends... The irony of the situation? I have to wonder if they were just being polite when they were smoking my gifts as well?

Still - a great time was had by all... and the evening was a blast. I did commit one last sacrilege, which was essentially gargling a double pour of a very fine scotch (Lagavulin) to get the taste of the cigars out of my mouth... I now have one more reason to enjoy the more flavorful scotches, particularly the Islays... they are strong enough to burn away the taste of a Middleton and Baccarat...

Cheers,

- Oak

oak said:
A few minutes later, I was puffing away on a gifted cigar (a Middleton) from one of my new comrades... Suddenly I was sober, and the taste was quite clear... and it was bad... Very Bad (tm)... It's only claim to fame was that it was fairly small... This was then followed by a gifted Baccarat - which it turns out is a lightly flavored cigar filled with incredibly cheap honduran tobacco (the worst of all worlds!)...
Oh man... you poor bastard...

You should have at least had the decency to tell them that they were smoking **** on a stick. :)

Im really getting a kick out of the Tasting Rating Descriptions for these bad cigars.
My favorite so far:

"Something like lawn grass or maybe lawn grass that a dog pissed on. Real bad."

Maybe there should be a thread just with a list of descriptive terms!
My own tastes are not quite as refined as of yet, I just know a bad smoke when I get one. :(

Tony, do you think that improved the flavor or just hid the nastiness with something else? ??? ???