• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bead Containers

CigarAl

I have the privlege of having an Aristocrat Mini being delivered in the next 1-2 weeks (I hope)if Bob would ever finish....just kidding of course, although the wait has been painful it has nothing to do with Bob! Just my wanting this unit yesterday.

Being as I travel a lot (low maintanance) and the great endrosements of his products, I have opted to use Viper's beads which were promptly devlivered today. (have I made enough plugs yets????)

But seriously, for those of you with cabinets or large humidors what are you using as your conatiner for your beads.

In reading Viper's site, he says "the main point of whatever container you choose is to have the gretest amount of surface area as possible. If possible the beads shoud be no more than 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep"

In doing a serach here, most of what people have described or posted pictures of are tupperware type containers with various lids. In most of those set ups, the beads look deeper than recommended.

Just wondering what others have used or are using. I also plan on using one of the small battery powered fans to circulate the air.

Any sugesstions for a lower, longer type container?

David anything in the works for cabinet humidors?????

Thanks in advance guys............

Im planning on using a leftover dress box, and filling it with beads about a 1/2" deep. Should work, and wouldn't look out of place in a Cabinet humidor.

As a back up to the active system I have in my large humidor I use the maesh bags of beads. These bags give the beads exposure to the air on all sides thus increasing the effectiveness of the beads. Must say a dress box or two would work well too. The main thing is to distribute the beads around the cabinet, don't just place them in one spot in the cabinet. This distribution helps to balance the cabinet a little better.

Hope that helps.

Good thought about the dress box. Hadnt thought about that as I was thinking more along the lines of something plastic (or other matierials) not wood. But as the bead dont release "water" wood could work.

David, I do plan on spreading the beads out. So I guess I need ideas for two containers......thanks. While I agree the mesh bags probaly give maximum expsore, wasnt thrilled with just having a mesh bag "tossed in".

Maybe a mesh bag in a dress box....hmmmmmmmmmmm

This is what I use- kills two birds with one stone- holds te beads AND circulates the air...

You can use about any sized container, and Emmo had a great idea about covering the holes with a mesh of some kind to get them lower and not have spillage. I have it plugged into a digital timer that turns on the fan for 10 minutes every 6 hours. Circulates RH air like a charm... I have no spots that are higher or lower anywhere in my cabinet, includingt he upper drawer. It works well for me as I have a power plugin inside my humi...

If you don't want something like this (I love it!) before all I had was some plastic trays from WalMart that were about 9" long, 2" wide and 2" tall. I put the beads in, put them into some pantyhose (new of course!), and zip tied the ends. That way if they got knocked over they woudl not spill. Viper's bead bags work great as well- I have a couple now as well.

For my 125+ count I actually use the clear top portion of a plastic butter dish turned upside down. I thought of it one day while looking around for something plastic, elongated, and relatively deep.

Like this one:

My wife thinks I'm crazy.

For my Vicksburg (foot locker), I took the bottoms of Poland Spring bottles and sawed them off at the foot. I planted 3 of them with beads around the humidor, works great.

Go to Wal-Mart, hobby lobby, Michaels and get a pack of "Drawstring sachets" They cost about $2 for 12 and they can hold 1/4 - 1/2 lb of beads. I use them in 4 - 1/4 lb bags and place them on the shelves of my coolerdors. Use a antibacterial sponge as your water source, when the humidity drops feed the sponge.

Sachets

Pantyhose! Works like a charm. :thumbs:
(I don't recommend the fishnet style. ;) :D )

On using a fan. A fan will produce heat so make sure you use a timer to allow it only to operate for short duration. I have mine set for 5 min every 12 hours in a 6ft cabinet and it works fine. The size of the fan you use is important. One of the few times that bigger is not better. You do not want to create a breeze. Wind blowing across your cigars are not good for them. All you are trying to do is move some air. In a closed enviroment the slightest movement of air will easily move throughout your cabinet. I'd look for a 1 to 2 inch fan for a mini Aristocrat and would recommend the 1 inch over the 2.

Congrats on the Aristocrat. Very wise choice.

I bought the beads and the mesh bags from Viper. Then I took apart the humidifier that came with my two humis and removed the floral foam. Then I lined the slotted side of the humidifier with some of the mesh and taped it in place and put the black plastic humidifier back together. I then drilled a hole approximately 1/4 in dia. in the back of the humidifier and poured in the beads until tightly packed inside. Taped over the hole and added distilled water.

It looks like a regular brick style humidifier but performs much better than the cheap floral foam.

Just curious if anybody has ever tried using cigar coffins? I'm looking to add some beads at each drawer of the cabinet for stability before summer and was trying to think of what would work best. When looking at the drawers I noticed a couple of coffins and thought "hey, I wonder...."

Seams like the perfect choice since it would give a large surface area, not take a whole lot of space and could actually even act as a divider. The way some are made, like the CAO Odyssey coffin, you could use the lid and bottom as two separate holders.

Tech - Thanks for topping this I was going to post a reply to my orginal post.

As my Mini is expected next week and in my quest for something that wasnt tupperware, I went to an AC Moore Craft store.

There I found small wooden boxes (6x4) with a hinged lid and clasp. Almost like a small cigat box. In addition there only about 2" deep. I thought to my self if I could open the top some how and cover it with mesh this would make a great box. It would allow me access to the beads and provide exposure.

So I grabbed two of these boxes and two of the largest mesh sachets (as Joe M said in hisd post) and home I went.

Taking of the lid and clasp I went to my neighbor who has a table saw and we sawed the lid in half length wise, creating an open rectangle to fit back on the top of the box.

I then cut one of the sachet open and palced on the open part of the lid, added some elmers glue around the edge, trimmed the excess, reattached the hinge and clasp and voila....

I have created my own Viper Bead Box. This is now a box that opens and closes, for when I have to spray them, and stays closed when in the cabinet with no worries of spillage.

I will be using two of these plus the Oust fan and confident this will do a great job.

And to me looks better then tupperware (no offense to those who are using plastic/tupperware).

This may seem like a lot of work to some, but that is part of the hobby aspect for me.

I will post pics later today. I havent taken them yet but I will.

PS....Viper please feel free to steal my idea. These boxes are imported from China and I would think fairly cheap to get. Maybe a new product idea for you?

I've got the Heartfelt tubes. With the extra beads, I've been cleaning out my old Skoal cans and taking the labels and glue off of them and drilling holes in the top. They work great, they are small, and they can sit on top of cigars in the humi.

Here are some pics of the Viper Bead Box I made

IMG_1871_12eJPGmsg7C31C236-0B25-4AF.jpg

IMG_1872_22eJPGmsg7C31C236-0B25-4AF.jpg

IMG_1873_32eJPGmsg7C31C236-0B25-4AF.jpg

You guys are good....Swissy thats a great setup with the fan, and CigarAl that looks like a box of jewels. Nice job guys

Great job, Al!

Dave, you should hire yourself a shop kid to make a few of these. I'd bet they sell.

Hi,
I was thinking of buying some beads(half pound). I was wanting to put them in a small bowl but reading from this thread i get a little mixed up. Whats the differnce if i put the beads in a bowl versus putting the beads in a mesh or pantyhose then into a bowl.
Mr Smoker

Hi,
I was thinking of buying some beads(half pound). I was wanting to put them in a small bowl but reading from this thread i get a little mixed up. Whats the differnce if i put the beads in a bowl versus putting the beads in a mesh or pantyhose then into a bowl.
Mr Smoker
You want as much surface area as you can. Panty hose accomplishes this.

Emo

Hi,
Mr Smoker

The reason for mesh or pantyhose is to prevent spillage should anyone bump your humidor.

The mesh/panythose allows for max surface area to be exposed while covering the container of your choice.