• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beer Pairing with Cigars

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
Spring is almost here and summer smoking is on the horizon. I need to start filling up the beer fridge so I’m looking for recommendations here. I tend to smoke medium to full. Particularly Nicaraguans but also Dominicans. What should I look for?

One of my favorites is Belhaven Wee Heavy. I don't care for hoppy beers and the few times I've had one with a cigar, the bitterness transferred to the cigar. I pay no attention to the "dark beers in winter, light beers in summer" rule. :p Of course you can get light colored malty beers.

The beer I am drinking always goes well with he cigar in my hand....just saying....don't over think it...lol

The beer I am drinking always goes well with he cigar in my hand....just saying....don't over think it...lol

That’s what I was going to say. I reach into my beer fridge and grab what catches my fancy after staring for a few minutes , then I reach into humidor and grab whatever catches my fancy. Then I enjoy both.

Sometimes, like last night it’s coffee or just water. Depends on my mood, but I don’t overthink it

The only beer I can't handle, while smoking a cigar, are big hoppy IPAs/DIPAs. I can't get over the piney/resin tasting beer, while trying to enjoy a cigar.

I try and stick with water/coffee and the occasional root beer.

The only beer I can't handle, while smoking a cigar, are big hoppy IPAs/DIPAs. I can't get over the piney/resin tasting beer, while trying to enjoy a cigar.

I try and stick with water/coffee and the occasional root beer.
Wanker!

So IPAs don’t go well? What types of beer go pretty good? Any rules of thumb to go by for someone who is looking?

Gennerally, you have to take into account the strength of the beer and the strength of the flavor profile of the cigar.

IPA's on the mild end of the style go pretty well with a cigar that carries grassy / hay notes. And dark beers (Stouts, porters, bocks) go better with the earthier flavored sticks.

But understand that if either is really strong on flavor it may overpower the other. And DIPA will blow out your tastebuds, same with smoking several cigars in a row.

Tim

I love a good saison in the summer with a cigar. Recently I've become a big fan of the helles style as well. Man I can't wait for spring/ summer.

I drink beer with lunch. With cigars it has to be a brown liquor. Read whiskey or whisky. Maybe some rum.

Doc

Last edited:
I drink beer with lunch. With cigars it has to be a brown liquor. Read whiskey or whisky. Maybe some rum.

Doc
Do you ever make your own rum? I’m curious given your interest in getting syrup from maple trees- and at the risk of derailing my original question. I don’t know how complicated the whole process would be but o think it’d be neat to distill sap from a local tree.