• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BEER

Red Oak

Its our local brew pub. I like it because its Fresh, its local, its got a great color too it, and it has no preservatives in it. Its just a GREAT tasting beer.

Actually the wifey is on her way home right now with a Growler of the stuff. :love:

I really like almost anything from Samuel Smith (England) and Rogue Brewing Cos.

Other staples in my fridge are Guinness, Samuel Adams and Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. Yum.

bmd34202 said:
I really like almost anything from Samuel Smith (England) and Rogue Brewing Cos.

Other staples in my fridge are Guinness, Samuel Adams and Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. Yum.
[snapback]278749[/snapback]​

Dogfish Head 90 is a hops bomb! The 60 is a little tamer and a little easier to find for me. Love 'em both. I also recommend Summitt Pale Ale from Minnesota if you can find it.

bmd34202 said:

[snapback]278749[/snapback]​

A local merchant suggested a Samuel Smith sample pack -- I really enjoyed the Oatmeal Stout. The pale ale and brown nut ale were okay.

Since I brew my own beer, does that count? I find most Commercial beer to be water down piss. No flavor, no hops, no malt. Nothing...Colored water in a can or bottle.

But some on the micro-level would be stuff from Rogue. Only one that I actually like of theirs and its IIPA. I like Guinness but I honestly brew better Stout.New Belgium Brewing Company is good and so is Goose Island. One Sierra nevada product that I really like is their annual brew called Big Foot.

Http://www.ratebeer.com is a trusty tool to search through. Now mind you that alot of posters tend to brew their own beer so keep that in mind.

Thanks to those who have responded!! Keep those suggestions coming.

I was at a bar watching the USC Vs Texas game earlier in the month and they suggested I tried Blue Moon floated with Guinness like a black and tan. It was awesome, enjoyed it more than the black and tan I ordered before it.

what bar were you at???

B.J.s??

the only thing that should be floated on Guiness is another guiness

ironmike5 said:
I was at a bar watching the USC Vs Texas game earlier in the month and they suggested I tried Blue Moon floated with Guinness like a black and tan. It was awesome, enjoyed it more than the black and tan I ordered before it.
[snapback]279002[/snapback]​

Got a dozen Blue Moon beers in the fridge. Just might get some Guiness tomorrow and try that. :thumbs:

GUINNESS is my standbye. I'm never let down when ordering a Guinness.
I have a bar close that has a selection of over 150 beers but I always tend to go back to Guinness.

some other favorites of mine are:

Monty Pythons Holy Grail Ale
Dragonmead Imperial Stout
Youngs Oatmeal Stout

I have 3 basic styles I enjoy most, here are my faves in those styles:

IMPERIAL STOUT
stone
expedition
old rasputin
avery the czar
old yeti

BELGIAN
Westy 12 & 8
Rochefort 10 & 8
Chimay blue
Abbeys des rocs brune

PALE ALE
Stone ipa
Dogfish 90min
Fullers 1845

Handcrafted ales, Fat Tire is #1

Just about anything from Sam Adams is thumbs up.

My dream vacation is a London pub crawl to sample those ale recipes that are centuries old.

NullSmurf said:
My dream vacation is a London pub crawl to sample those ale recipes that are centuries old.
[snapback]282456[/snapback]​

I've already done a London Pub crawl, Dublin Pub crawl x2, and a Edinburgh pub crawl x2. Its a blast. :love:

I'll recommend a local seasonal brew. If you can find it, try Saint Arnolds Spring Bock.

Beer gets its flavor primarily from two ingredients: malt and hops. The malt gives the smooth and sweet flavors and hops provides the biterness. For the beer newbie, malt is made from barley by spraying it with water, allowing it to germinate, and then drying it in an oven. The various flavors of malt are made by heating the malt further after it is dried. The hotter it gets the darker and generally sweeter. Some common colors of malt are carmel malt, chocolate malt and black patent malt. The black malt is less sweet because a lot of the sugar is burnt.

An individual beer recipe is a balance between how much malt is added, what color malt is added, and how bitter to make it with hops. Something like Bud has little malt and not too much hops. Rice or corn is added to increase the alcohol content without increasing the maltiness. To my taste, a nice pale ale made with all malt and no other grains is much better, being maltier and a bit sweeter.

Increase the malt content significantly and you have something like a scottish or scotch ale. These have a higher alcohol content and are very malty and fairly sweet. As they get sweeter, the brewer tends to offset by adding more hops to maintain the balance of sweet and bitter, but these types of ales are still left on the sweet side.

Go from here and increase the hops a lot, and you have IPA, India Pale Ale. It was formulated with high alcohol and hops to preserve the beer from spoiling as it was transported from England, around the continent of Africa, to India. People who like hops like IPAs.

Go down a notch in malt and back way off the hops, and then add some chocolate malt and a little black patent malt and you have porter. Porters vary a lot in how much black malt they have (how much they taste roasted or burnt). The sweet ones are almost like a desert, while the more roasty are less so.

Add a whole lot more black malt and you have a stout, somewhat like a beer coffee.

And then of course, there are a gazillion other styles...

Hope this helps without being too wordy.

You did forget to mention this tho. Yeast does play a huge part in making beer. You wouldnt use say a strain one would in a Stout in a recipe designed for a IPA.

Scotchish Ales are really not that sweet nor malty. They tend to be low in alcohol as well. McEwans doesnt represent a beer from Scotland. Goto any pub in Scotland and you wont see that style at all. Cuz its so sweet its sickening and doesnt taste to good.

Stouts do not need alot of black patent to make a stout. There is plenty of other grains that can do that from my experience. But to each their own. Still a pretty informative post for those that do not brew. :)