• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Being a big brother again (or "am I being a dick?")

I guess I could have foregone the knife. The thing is my only other move was to tell him verbally that I'd cut his effing throat if he touched her chest. The knife seemed less threatening. :sign:

It sounds like maybe you over reacted a tad, but he was just being a pussy for crying about it. Be a man and get over it.

And for all the guys talking shit about an 18 year old dating a 15 year old, I was 18 when I met my wife (yes she was 15). We started dating shortly after that, and have been together now for 16+ years. I wasn't a douche though, and her older brother (1 year older than me) liked me.

Forgot to add, she was only 1 year behind me in school though. I was a senior and she was a junior when we started dating.

18 year old dating a 15 year old? Sounds like the boy is too immature for someone his own age. Today's kids are so f'd up. Perhaps he would be more receptive to texting, tweeting or facebook. Sad state of affairs we're in.

He didn't flinch when you pulled a knife on him, but sobbed like a baby when you walked past him and told him you were unarmed? Kid seems unstable...

Congratulations, you successfully asserted your dominance in a totally level headed and acceptable way.

Brandishing a knife, or any weapon, is against the law in many states, and charges could be levied, and stick. Not a good thing to do. Next time, if you know he is coming over the house, just have all your guns, and all your gun cleaning supplies, out on the table, as he walks in the door, you can be "cleaning" one of them. Ask him, while running your oiled rag along the length of the barrel, his plans for the evening, and that you expect her home safe, and whole, by a certain time.

You know, the whole thing didn't rub me the wrong way. It was in humor, and he should have taken it as such. However, he should know better than to screw around like he did, especially if he doesn't know you too well.
My dad always explained to my sister's boyfriends that they started out with a zero second head start, and that they would gain time as he grew to like them.
Nobody ever cried, and everybody stayed well within their boundaries.

He is a whiney little bitch from the way it sounds. The knife thing wasn't p.c. but I'm sick of p.c. You left an impression on him just as you intended to. Good job buddy.

Sometimes being a (big) brother and being a dick are the exact same thing, and should be.

If you're going to test boundaries, be prepared for whatever the outcome could be. Youth is wasted on the young.

No argument there Joe. The problem is that the boundaries have changed drastically in a short period of time. Our parents lived in the era of shotguns not only being seen brandished on a first date, but also to "encourage" weddings. We grew up in the era of switches, spankings, groundings, and our fathers knocking around a mouthy guy dating a daughter.

Then came the change. This group of kids is used to "timeouts", stern talking to's, and discipline involving taking away a play station or turning off their texting.

I fear for my kids, whenever they're born. I'm not proud of the society they'll be forced into.

HA!! I don't think you were being a dick at all. I'm sure most of us would have done something similar. I'm joining the 'what is an 18 year old guy dating a 15 year old girl" club on this one. As a father of two girls, one being 14, I believe I would do more than just brandish a knife if she ever told me she was seeing an 18 year old. I remember when I was a teenager, we were always chasing the older females. Good times.

No argument there Joe. The problem is that the boundaries have changed drastically in a short period of time. Our parents lived in the era of shotguns not only being seen brandished on a first date, but also to "encourage" weddings. We grew up in the era of switches, spankings, groundings, and our fathers knocking around a mouthy guy dating a daughter.

Then came the change. This group of kids is used to "timeouts", stern talking to's, and discipline involving taking away a play station or turning off their texting.

I fear for my kids, whenever they're born. I'm not proud of the society they'll be forced into.

I agree with you, the problem is also all the people that think just because you give you child one good smack on the ass for acting out in a public place you are a child abuser.

Parents aren't allowed to discipline their children as they used to when we were growing up. Which is causing the current generation to become whining pussies.

Actually, I was referring to the "victim".

Kids want to constantly push boundaries and that is part of their learning process. Unfortunately, they don't always understand that some of the things they are doing can have some serious ramifications.
An 18 year old "adult" caught touching a 15 year old can get somebody sent to jail and labeled a sexual predator FOR LIFE. A lot of kids don't get that, or grow up not caring because of the way they were raised. By the time reality sets in they're already in trouble.
Depending on the kid, hopefully they'll look back after 20 years and tell their children, "Boy, I was really stupid. I made mistakes and they've affected my life in these ways... Don't make the same mistakes".

Your parents may have lived in an era of shotguns being brandished on a first date and used to encourage weddings. You may have grown up in an era of switches, spankings, groundings, and fathers knocking around mouthy guys dating their daughters. And, yes, some change did come. In fact, what change came and to what extent it came may just depend on where you live. It's not "the change." Rather, it's some change. When we encountered to many instances of "good parenting" becoming a justification for violence - whether out of frustration, anger, or what have you - against kids, then some change became necessary.

If you can't figure out a better way to discipline kids by timeouts, stern talking to's, and the taking away of a Playstation or revoking texting privileges, then you just aren't trying very hard. I promise that there are plenty of ways to discipline kids that don't involve the use of physical force or threats. I've met plenty of good parents who'd never lay a hand on their child.

I can't believe that nobody has come out here and unequivocally told you that what you did was wrong. Just who do you think you are to threaten somebody else with a knife? I don't even care if you were "joking." You pulled a knife on another person and it wasn't even to protect yourself or another person from violence. Nothing seriously bad was actually going to happen to your new lil' sis in that car. This guy, regardless what you think of his character or how he should man up or whatever, has obviously been seriously affected by what you've done. What would you think if another man pulled a knife on you? I bet your reaction doesn't include "Ah, I get it. Your being that really great big brother character. Good for you." Nope. Instead that kid probably thought "Holy shit! This guy is coming at me with a knife."

You owe this kid an apology, a big one. You shouldn't do shit like that. It was nonsensical, completely lacking in creativity for how to get a message across, and violent.

I just met you,​
and I'm crazy!​
I've got a knife, I'll cut you maybe!​

:laugh: :p

Wow! That kid needs needs to man up. Honestly, I don't think you did anything wrong. I would of reacted the same way if a boy pulled that kind of shit on one of my younger nieces.

I just met you,​
and I'm crazy!​
I've got a knife, I'll cut you maybe!​

:laugh: :p
LMFAO :laugh:

If the 18 year old is dumb enough to say "I'll get it" in a situation like that in front of the girls family, he's old enough to see how men can possibly react. Especially since his next words while in the car wasn't "I'm sorry" to her and the rest of the family in the car.

Plus, he also gave a verbal crack about not being man enough to confront him. I am trying to be a man of peace as I age, but if you call me out, I'm coming right up to your face.

I've had a nephew dumb enough to call out his grandfather when he lost his temper. In 2 steps I was in front of him, placed my hand on his heart, got ready to crack him and when I felt how fast his heart was beating and the look in his eyes, I knew he wasn't used to going to that zone. My hand uncurled and I just talked to him verbally and the tears started to flow.

Each situation gets a unique response depending on how we are used to reacting. That boy just learned a valuable lesson about always respecting the family, some families are rougher than others.

Not in my house, but I suppose there's no problem with an 18 year old dating a 15 year old - as long as both think act like they're 16 1/2... :D

...though it sounds like the 18 year old is more acting like he's 15. Which would explain his reactions to the situations... ;)

BTW - I don't believe there's a law against an 18 year old "dating" a 15 year old - as long as there's no hanky-panky. That's when things get VERY interesting in the eyes of the court. :whistling: