• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bell's Hopslam Ale

Phlicker

also know as @PhillyBeerGuy
This beer gets an awful lot of attention when it's released every year. I managed to find it on tap at Capone's, a local beer bar/restaurant that has a bottle shop attached. One of the few places in PA where you can get decent beer in six packs w/o having to commit to a whole case. After enjoying a pint over lunch, I picked up a sixer to bring home. Below are both of my reviews. It's interesting to note the differences.

Bell's Hopslam Ale

gallery_4370_457_28266.jpg

A biting, bitter, tongue bruiser of an ale. With a name like Hopslam, what did you expect?
Style: American Double/Imperial IPA
ABV: 10.0%
Dates Available: Limited Release, January 7th through February
Brewed: Comstock, MI

On-Tap
Served on tap at Capone's. Poured into a pint tumbler with a one-finger head of light foam that reduced to a fine layer across the top of the beer. Lacing held on from top to bottom in the glass. Color was a bright amber with a slight haze. Very nice looking. Initial nose was of grapefruit and other citrus, followed by floral, fresh hops. The grapefruit/citrus taste is most evident at first, giving way to honey and a pleasant hop bitterness that lingers on the palate. Not a kick-you-in-the-face beer in terms of hops (despite the name and ABV), but overall very well balanced. Mouthfeel was crisp, bubbly, and mildly astringent.

Overall I truly enjoyed this beer. Drinkability is high on this one, as your palate isn't likely to get fatigued by the hops. Another fine example of a highly hopped beer that isn't all about the power and strength. The ABV will eventually catch up to you, but until then there are a world of flavors to discover in this offering.

Score: 4.5/5

Bottled
Appearance: Poured into a Nonic Pint Glass. Beer is a hazy pale orange color with a thin one-finger head of off-white foam that quickly dissipates leaving a fine layer across the surface of the beer. Fine lacing clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: Strong nose of piney hops with floral and citrusy (grapefruit and orange) notes. A hint of mango peeks in here and there. I could smell this all day...

Taste: Hops, hops, and more hops. The malt body here is tough to find amid the pine and bittering hops, as is the honey this is supposedly brewed with. Surprisingly, the citrus and floral nose I detected isn't very apparent in the taste. If you search for them, you can find them, though. "Tongue-bruising" qualities diminish as beer warms. Finish is short with a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied, thin, crisp, lively and carbonated.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: I actually liked this beer a LOT better when I had it on tap. I really wished this tasted as good as it smelled. I do enjoy my hops, but I prefer more balance between the bitter and floral/citrus varietals. Although I do enjoy this offering, I'm not sure how many I could have in one sitting before the 10% ABV caught up with me. That being said, would I have it again? Absolutely. I look forward to picking it up next year and working it in with my other IPA/DIPAs.

Score: 4.1/5

I am a huge fan of the Two Hearted and have been dying to try the hopslam. All my local stores sold out in the first week. Your are very lucky to get your hands on this let alone have it on tap. Enjoyed the review. Until next years release! Cheers.

I think Hopslam is almost too over the top with the hops. I drank two bottles one night, and I was done! I'm sure the 10%abv had something to do with it as well. It's still a must try if you are a hophead.

This beer gets an awful lot of attention when it's released every year. I managed to find it on tap at Capone's, a local beer bar/restaurant that has a bottle shop attached. One of the few places in PA where you can get decent beer in six packs w/o having to commit to a whole case. After enjoying a pint over lunch, I picked up a sixer to bring home. Below are both of my reviews. It's interesting to note the differences.

Bell's Hopslam Ale

gallery_4370_457_28266.jpg

A biting, bitter, tongue bruiser of an ale. With a name like Hopslam, what did you expect?
Style: American Double/Imperial IPA
ABV: 10.0%
Dates Available: Limited Release, January 7th through February
Brewed: Comstock, MI

On-Tap
Served on tap at Capone's. Poured into a pint tumbler with a one-finger head of light foam that reduced to a fine layer across the top of the beer. Lacing held on from top to bottom in the glass. Color was a bright amber with a slight haze. Very nice looking. Initial nose was of grapefruit and other citrus, followed by floral, fresh hops. The grapefruit/citrus taste is most evident at first, giving way to honey and a pleasant hop bitterness that lingers on the palate. Not a kick-you-in-the-face beer in terms of hops (despite the name and ABV), but overall very well balanced. Mouthfeel was crisp, bubbly, and mildly astringent.

Overall I truly enjoyed this beer. Drinkability is high on this one, as your palate isn't likely to get fatigued by the hops. Another fine example of a highly hopped beer that isn't all about the power and strength. The ABV will eventually catch up to you, but until then there are a world of flavors to discover in this offering.

Score: 4.5/5

Bottled
Appearance: Poured into a Nonic Pint Glass. Beer is a hazy pale orange color with a thin one-finger head of off-white foam that quickly dissipates leaving a fine layer across the surface of the beer. Fine lacing clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: Strong nose of piney hops with floral and citrusy (grapefruit and orange) notes. A hint of mango peeks in here and there. I could smell this all day...

Taste: Hops, hops, and more hops. The malt body here is tough to find amid the pine and bittering hops, as is the honey this is supposedly brewed with. Surprisingly, the citrus and floral nose I detected isn't very apparent in the taste. If you search for them, you can find them, though. "Tongue-bruising" qualities diminish as beer warms. Finish is short with a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied, thin, crisp, lively and carbonated.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: I actually liked this beer a LOT better when I had it on tap. I really wished this tasted as good as it smelled. I do enjoy my hops, but I prefer more balance between the bitter and floral/citrus varietals. Although I do enjoy this offering, I'm not sure how many I could have in one sitting before the 10% ABV caught up with me. That being said, would I have it again? Absolutely. I look forward to picking it up next year and working it in with my other IPA/DIPAs.

Score: 4.1/5

Maybe they have 2 brewerys but they are out of Kalamazoo. If its hard to find bells I am sure that I could get some to you.

I think Hopslam is almost too over the top with the hops. I drank two bottles one night, and I was done! I'm sure the 10%abv had something to do with it as well. It's still a must try if you are a hophead.

Sounds like it might be one for me to pass on.

Nice review Mike. :thumbs:

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Hopslam, love it! I just wish it wasn't (A) so hard to find and (B) so expensive.

Nice review Mike!

Maybe they have 2 brewerys but they are out of Kalamazoo. If its hard to find bells I am sure that I could get some to you.
Bells Brewery said:
In 2003, Bell's proudly opened a new production brewery in nearby Comstock, Michigan. The new brewery has now seen three major additions and encompasses 60,000 square feet of building on a 24 acre site The Quality Assurance department has thrived in the new facilities, implementing procedures and techniques that assure that Bell's is consistently putting out the very best beer possible. Total brewing capacity now stands at 140,000 bbls. At the Kalamazoo Avenue location, an historical rehabilitation has brought about a pleasant architectural change to the city landscape.

Looks like most of their production is at the new facility, while the original Kalamazoo Ave. location is more of a storefront. As a matter of fact it's listed as "Bell's Eccentric Café & General Store" on their website. I pulled Comstock off the front of the bottle.

Sounds like it might be one for me to pass on.

Nice review Mike. :thumbs:

Wow Justin thinking about passing on one? ??? Never thought I'd live to see the day :laugh:. I am looking to try some really soon. I am thinking about doing a head to head with that delicious Nugget Nectar so stay tuned. :thumbs:

Nice. This is going on my list of must trys. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Would anyone that has access to Hopslam mind sending me a 6er? I would greatly appreciate it. I'll send you money ahead a time if need be.

Would anyone that has access to Hopslam mind sending me a 6er? I would greatly appreciate it. I'll send you money ahead a time if need be.

I think it is cheaper here since is it made here. I will see what I can do. The place by me does not always have it. Not sure if it is a seasonal beer since I dont drink it.

I would love to try this being the Hop head that i am, but i cannot get it. Would anyone who lives in the distribution area be willing to do a trade? I have plenty of great beer out here in CA that i can trade.