• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best '06 Release?

Mike33

I thought this would be a fun topic to discuss. Out of all the new cigars from '06, including new, regular production smokes, RE, and ELs, what has been the best?

For me, Cohiba Piramide EL hands down. Second would have to go to the PL Lonsdale RE.

Wow...
Tough call!
2006 was such a fantastic year.
I guess I'd go with RA Estupendos, Punch Super Robustos and Diplo #4.
The Diplo, for the price, is better!

Haven't smoked the 06 Cohiba Pirimide yet but looking forward to it!

This might change after I smoke a 06 Gold Medal!

-Rob
-Rob

So far, I've tried about 16 or 17 different vitolas from over a dozen marcas and the best for smoking now would have to be either the RyJ Cazadores or Bolivar Royal Coronas. Both are just freakin' flavor bombs ripe for the serious smoker. The Dip 4 gets an enthusiastic honorable mention.

The cigar with the most future potential, hands down, is the DIC06 Bolivar Gold Medals. That cigar is something special. If only we could ignore the "Gold Medal" mystique (and baggage, IMO) and smoke it on its own merits. Second would be the Ramon Allones Estupendos. The Por Larrañaga Lonsdale RE and Cohiba Pirámides LE are good but they didn't light me up. The Bolivar Colossales were excellent. Quite unlike the more robust vitolas in that marca but mild, sweet, and simply delightful.

I've still got a few 06's left to taste including the Monte Robusto, Punch Super Robusto, and Partagás SD3 LE big boys and a few bit players but I'd be surprised if my top picks were unseated.

Wilkey

So far, I've tried about 16 or 17 different vitolas from over a dozen marcas and the best for smoking now would have to be either the RyJ Cazadores or Bolivar Royal Coronas. Both are just freakin' flavor bombs ripe for the serious smoker. The Dip 4 gets an enthusiastic honorable mention.

Wilkey

I have to agree with Wilkey on the Cazadores they are truly one of the cigars that just oozes flavor. I'm addicted to BRC so I guess the 2006's are smoking great out of the chute. The Cohiba EL has a way to go for me. I have had three diplos and they seem to be growing on me. I have not had the opportunity to burn a BGM yet, but I'll make some time this weekend.

This is what I love about different taste. I thought the Colosales was boring and bland. I also enjoyed the cazadore I had, but thought t was a little too bitter and young. It does sound like I am going to have to get some Diplos though.....

I am having a RyJ SC right now from April '06 and it is just fantastic. These have come around unbelieveable from where they were a year ago!

There's much I have to try still from '06, but I think the RyJ Short Churchills are going to be fantastic in a few years.

For me, the one cigar that showed the most improvement from previous years is the PSD4. I don't buy much of the special releases, but from the ones I've tried, the BGM was outstanding.

For me, the one cigar that showed the most improvement from previous years is the PSD4. I don't buy much of the special releases, but from the ones I've tried, the BGM was outstanding.

yeah, it seems as if the PSD4's flavor is becoming more intense than the prior years.
When I impatiently smoked one (a few days after receiving them), I noticed a harshness.

But as I let them sit, the harshness turned into something different...it was excellent!
Seems to have a lot more flavor than a PSP2.

And those Partagas Shorts are getting mighty robust and full... :)

I agree on the Bolivar RC. Very nice smoke. I also just had a PSD3 EL 2006 that was very very good. It was like a smoother, more complex PSD4 to me. I've had some mixed feelings on the RyJ SC, had a few plug and had a few that were bitter which I think might have been over humidified. I have a few that I'm going to let sit for a few months and revisit.

I've been wanting to try the Bolivar GMs and the Cohiba Pirimide and this thread just makes me want to more! :)

As this thread evidences, 2006 was a great year.

This is such a tough call, but I'll try.

Regular production - Bolivar Royal Coronas. It seems to never let me down. Honorable mention - Bolivar belicosos finos.

EL - Partagás SD3 EL. I've smoked a few of these and I really love the profile of this cigar. Honorable mention - Cohiba EL

RE - RA Estupendos. This is my favorite cigar from 2006. Honorable mention - PL Lonsdale.

06 production i'm most impressed w/ is Monte2...
I’ve sampled multiple merca's from 06, there good now
should be phenomenal in the a couple of years

I will give the devil his due when it comes to short smokes and say that the handful of Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas I smoked were absolutely amazing.

Too many outstanding cigars to pick a winner imo. I will say that many of the larger ring gauge short smokes like the Montecristo Petit Edmundo and the Hoyo Petit Robusto left me under whelmed.

Back