• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best hand gun for concealed carry?

The .22 law is based on. They do not want the shot to only injure the animal and have it get away injured correct? They want it to die quick. Correct me if i'm wrong?

The .22 law is based on. They do not want the shot to only injure the animal and have it get away injured correct? They want it to die quick. Correct me if i'm wrong?
That's what I understand. Ironically it's the deer jacker's weapon of choice.

Doc

How hard is it to get a carry permit in LA county? What's the interview proces like? Will a carry permit from another state give any edge?And can you easily get 10rd mags for an M-9 and PX-4 Storm at local gun stores? Thx.[/quote]

It is very difficult to get a CCW in LA County. You have to show good cause to have one. The applicant must show there is a real danger to themselves or family, Along with other requirements. I believe having a CCW from another state will have no bearing to obtain one in LA County. As far as the magazine capacity for either gun I'm not sure. All mine all plus 10 rounds. But I'm sure you could probably find them around here.

Rod said:
Very good information, Tom.  I appreciate it.  You're the second person to recommend a .40 instead of a .45.  My .38 special doesn't seem to be a practical CW...

Again, great info, thanks!

.45 are easier bullets to find.

You live in California, you are limited to the number of rounds to carry.  No difference between .40 and .45.   .45 is a better bullet imo.   .40 have have a bigger kick, I think

Devil Doc said:
Any Law abiding citizen can carry a concealed weapon in the Great State of Vermont, land of my birth, without any kind of permit. No such thing exists. Vermont has no gun laws other than the Federal laws all states must abide by. They do have Fish and Game laws, only one that I can think of, you can't hunt deer with a .22 rimfire. The funny thing is, and I know a lot of people back home, own land there, no one I know does.

Doc
PS. There's only one flatlander from Ct. you should pay any mind to. His name is Ethan Allen.

It's been a while since I've studied up on my concealed carry reciprocities, but VT is not honored by any other state, no?  You'd still need non-resident permits to travel armed?  Great for staying home, but sucks if you have to travel.  Luckily, Arkansas was honored everywhere I needed to go, save for a 15 minute stretch of I-81 in Maryland (during which I set my cruise control a little slower and kept head and eyes forward hoping I didn't have a mechanical issue at a most inopportune time).  

If you're from Vermont, there's really no reason to go anywhere else. ;)

Doc

Devil Doc said:

Doc
Accept  Except NH...

Edited my dumb ass mistake!

Any Law abiding citizen can carry a concealed weapon in the Great State of Vermont, land of my birth, without any kind of permit. No such thing exists. Vermont has no gun laws other than the Federal laws all states must abide by. They do have Fish and Game laws, only one that I can think of, you can't hunt deer with a .22 rimfire. The funny thing is, and I know a lot of people back home, own land there, no one I know does. DocPS. There's only one flatlander from Ct. you should pay any mind to. His name is Ethan Allen.

Any law abiding citizen, refers to both residents and non-residents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

BlindedByScience said:
I’ll throw in my $00.02.  It’ll probably end up being more like $20.00 when I’m done, though…. :p

First up; “…Looking for a .45..”.  While I won’t say that’s a bad choice, just be aware there are valid options anymore.  The .40 is a very capable round, and usually gives you a couple extra rounds over the .45 versions in the same platform.  With modern ammo, the 9mm is also nothing to be written off.  It depends on your ability to handle the recoil and what you can shoot accurately.  Might give some thought to the caliber choice….though, at the end of the day, there’s nothing wrong with the .45.

With pistols, I really do believe there is a certain “Zen” that has to happen with the owner and the weapon.  Go down to a well stocked gun store, get a half dozen quality weapons on the counter, and see what feels good.  No kidding.  There are lots of good choices to be had.  Better yet, if you can rent and try different pistols out, that’s even better.  I could bore you to death with what I think is a ‘good’ pistol for carry, but at the end of the day, the question becomes what do you like?

If you’re looking for concealed carry and want a smaller frame pistol, there are several new single stack choices that are narrower than the double stack pistols previously available.  Check out the nice new Glock 30S, or the Springfield Armory XDS, or the Smith and Wesson “Sheild” series and you’ll see what I mean.  That new Glock has my eye…..and, if I were going to buy one pistol that would fill the requirements you laid out, it would be that one, or the Springfield XDS.  Those would by my first choices.

When it comes to brands, it is pretty hard to go wrong if you stick with a quality brand.  No matter what the brand, some guys will love ‘em, some guys will hate ‘em….but you can’t really argue the quality and reliability.  Glock, Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Beretta, Kahr…those are off the top of my head, there are probably more.  I have to admit I’m partial to Glocks.  All mine have the same factory 5lb trigger and Meprolight sights, so no matter if I grab the 21, the 23, or the 26, I have the same trigger pull and the same sight picture.  That’s pretty cool.  They have also been 100% reliable.  Each and every time that slide comes into battery with a round in it, the gun goes 'bang' and feeds another.  Every time.  I've never had a FTF or stovepipe with any of my Glocks, and I'll admit to shooting the cheapest reloads I can find when I go to the range.  When it comes to a carry gun, reliability is < the > most important factor there is.

What do I carry?  If I’m carrying full sized, it’s my Glock 21.  If I’m running down to the gas station or to the grocery store, I’ll throw my Smith and Wesson 642 Airweight in my front pocket in an Uncle Mike’s pocket liner.  Super convenient, and with five .38 +P’s in it, it’s capable and you hardly know it’s there.  At night, my “what just went bump” gun is a Glock 23 with a Streamlight TLR2 light / laser combo on the rail.  That’s a .45, a .38+P, and a .40.  I don’t worry with any of them close.

And....practice and train, practice and train, practice and train some more.  Take a class or two.  I try to take a class every couple years just because.  I welcome feedback and I think it helps me shoot better.

Lastly, don't forget storage.  Lock that pistol up when you're not carrying it.  Get a decent safe or valut and lag bolt it down to a joist or two.  I am a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, but also acknowledge and respect the awesome responsibility that comes with owning weapons.

As they say, Rod….”one man’s opinion”…..B.B.S.

Edited - some linkage:

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g30s

http://xdspistol.com/

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809559_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm
I have to agree with this advice.  I was a huge Glock fans for many years.  Loved my 9mm and the 40 but couldn't shoot them very well.  One day I went to the range with a friend of mine who let me try his standard size 1911.  I shot that better one handed fast draw than I could shoot any of my Glocks with both hands based on the counter.  Once you find the right gun its damn near a religious experience.

Yea, what's your point?

fjldo said:

Any Law abiding citizen can carry a concealed weapon in the Great State of Vermont, land of my birth, without any kind of permit. No such thing exists. Vermont has no gun laws other than the Federal laws all states must abide by. They do have Fish and Game laws, only one that I can think of, you can't hunt deer with a .22 rimfire. The funny thing is, and I know a lot of people back home, own land there, no one I know does. DocPS. There's only one flatlander from Ct. you should pay any mind to. His name is Ethan Allen.

Yea, what's your point?

Doc

Yea, what's your point?

Yea, what's your point?

Doc

Clarifying that a law abiding citizen didn't mean just a resident if VT.

Devil Doc said:

Doc
Accept Except NH...

Edited my dumb ass mistake!

You obviously attended NH schools.

Doc

LOL Love you too Doc. Even worse Grade school was in MA and High School in NH! 

It's all pretty much been covered, but I will say this (which someone else may have said, but I lost track of everything there a page back or so):

Try to not only fire the weapon before buying but try it on your body in the method of concealment you are going to use. I can no longer comfortably carry the same handguns I could 10 years ago because of some *ahem* remodeling of my physique.

Not with that particular model, but I've owned a number of different Ruger firearms and have found them to be made well. However like any self-defense weapon it should be tuned by a competent gunsmith for reliability and perhaps some trigger work as most guns manufactured these days have "lawyer" triggers installed.

Doc

Strayvector said:
I picked up a Ruger LC9 NRA Special Edition for winning a local Hold'em Tourney.  Anyone with experience with this hand gun?
I have an LC9.  For as small of a frame it has, it shoots pretty good.  Very concealable for sure. (I also have an SR22 for plinking......great gun!)

broblues said:

I picked up a Ruger LC9 NRA Special Edition for winning a local Hold'em Tourney.  Anyone with experience with this hand gun?
I have an LC9.  For as small of a frame it has, it shoots pretty good.  Very concealable for sure. (I also have an SR22 for plinking......great gun!)

Good to hear.  Looking forward to picking it up later today.

I used to have a Ruger P45, but that doesn't really help your cause much.  I did really like the firearm and don't have a lot of bad to say about Ruger, especially after they got their shit straight with the LCP.  I just got a smokin' deal on a trade in that I couldn't pass up when I bought my J-frame.  I like those LC9s, though.