• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best week ever!

Seanholio

Don Quixote
It's been a special week. It started last Friday. I was called into a conference room and they asked for my badge. My tenure in Hell was being terminated. At first I was concerned, but then I was relieved. I collected my stuff from my desk, hopped in the truck, and drove home. Since I was a consultant, I called my boss and let him know what was going on in a voicemail.

On Monday, he called me back. He let me know that due to the sudden nature of the contract ending, he didn't have a new contract to pay me on, and no way to keep me on the bench without a new contract, so I was being laid off. I talked things over with my wife, and she told me not to worry, since either of us makes enough to cover the household expenses without the other's paycheck. I spent the past week straightening up the house, smoking a few cigars, figuring out if I wanted a dog in the house, and generally loafing. During this time, I also reached out to a former coworker of mine who has a position open in his organization that I'm well-suited to fill, and the pay is on-par with my previous pay. Additionally, this company would give me actual benefits and I'd be a full time telecommuter. It seems this lay off was a blessing in disguise, as they often are.

On Tuesday, I got a call on my cell phone from a blocked number. I don't usually answer those, but I figured it might be a recruiter, so I made an exception. A nice lady from the Sacramento Animal Shelter said they had a dog that was registered to me via the chip in his neck. Two years ago, because I had a new baby, a neighbor who constantly complained about any little bit of poop in my backyard, and our jobs, my wife and I surrendered our dog back to the rescue organization from which we had adopted him. We've regretted that decision ever since. Recently, my two-year old son has been asking for a brown dog. Coincidentally, Dutch is a chocolate lab. We didn't even take time to discuss it. My wife, who had taken over the phone call for me, said we'd be there in two hours.

When we arrived at the shelter, we completed the paperwork, and they brought Dutch out. He recognized us immediately, and wagged his tail so hard that he made it bleed. It turns out that the couple who had adopted him divorced a year later, and the husband kept Dutch. The day before, he gave Dutch to a friend of his, who couldn't handle him for some reason, and dropped him off at the shelter. From what we can tell of the callouses on his elbows, he was kept outside and slept on concrete. From his behavior, it seems he was neglected. This makes me sad, since he's a very social dog and has always wanted to be around someone. We're very happy to have him back, and he's happy to be here.

I'll never make that mistake again.

Yesterday, my wife and I made the trip up to Geyserville to meet up with the BOTL's on The Wine Pimp Tour. While we didn't get to hang out as long as we would have liked, due to my son deciding to skip his nap and then become unmanageable, I did get to meet everyone and at least introduce myself. Next year, I will make sure I am able to do the full tour and meal setup.

It has been a great week. I escaped from hell, got my dog back, and got to meet up with a great bunch of folks. It's almost the antithesis of a blues song.

It sounds like you had a wonderful week.

Sometimes things don't go exactly as we plan, but many times that can be a blessing. I can't count the times in my life when things that seemed pretty rotten at first turned out to be the best thing that could have happened.

Good fortune to you and your family. Take care of that dog, it sounds like he's been through the ringer a little bit. :( Thank goodness he's back in your family. :)

Awesome story Sean! Very glad things are going well! And good for both your family and Dutch, seems like all of you needed each other!

Wow, thats a lot of stuff to happen in a weeks time, I would have been slightly overwhelmed, although getting your dog back sounds more like a country song to me :laugh:
things usually happen for a reason, some good karma coming back to roost?
Have fun with the new/old dog, thats real special! :thumbs:

Wow... the part about the dog almost made me cry, man. That's incredible. I couldn't imagine having to give up my dog and then coming back across him/her two years later... wow.

Everything happens for a reason. Take care of the dog and good luck in finding a new job. :)

---John Holmes...

Sean,
Although you lost your job, it looks like things are working out. I am glad you got your dog back as I could not imagine having to give up my dog. Hopefully the job with your friend pans out and everything will be better for the wear.

Dave

Nice story indeed. There is such a thing as a silver lining.

Best,
Wilkey

Jeez! Another CPer to get the Axe!
There has to be something in the water...

So good to hear that everything is turning up roses!

Full time telecommute sounds awesome!

Jeez! Another CPer to get the Axe!
There has to be something in the water...

So good to hear that everything is turning up roses!

Full time telecommute sounds awesome!

x3

I got let go a week ago. Very inspiring story. Sounds like destiny on all counts. Thank you for sharing that. I honestly don't understand why anybody would bring a dog into their family. Only to mistreat it.

Glad to hear thing's are going well in what could have been a negative situation. Awesome story about the dog, just goes to show that things work themselves out sometimes!

It true! We often find that what seems to be a worrisome event, turns into something unexpectedly beneficial. Glad that things are working out for you. Best of luck.

Mandy

Great story and glad to hear everything has worked out. Best of luck!

Mike

Sean,

You never told me about the dog when we were sharing a smoke outside Cohiba's on Santana Row! What a great story!

That's a great children's story, you should write it and see if it has wings. :thumbs: :D

Thanks for the many positive thoughts, guys. I'll be sure to post what happens with the job opportunity.

I agree with the sentiments about mistreating a dog you chose to adopt. It's inhumane, and I'm glad I don't know who the guy is.

I'm looking forward to telecommuting. I'll get an hour and a half every day to work out and get things done around the house, since I won't be driving anywhere.

That's great news all around, Sean. Glad things are working out.

Thanks for all the good wishes guys! The job offer came via email yesterday.

Starting on May 1, I'll be a telecommuting worker! I'm being paid within 3% of my previous pay level, plus the company has a 15% quarterly bonus program. Add excellent benefits on top of that (the previous company had none) and zero commuting costs, and I've come out way ahead in this situation.

I'm thrilled, since this means I can return to my mid-day Krav Maga classes, save on gasoline, and occasionally work from the B&M.

How lucky am I?

I hope my other BOTL's who were recently laid off are having the same good luck in finding new employment.