• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best WiFi Extender

So I decided on the Google Wifi. Very happy with the speeds I now have in all areas of my home. Hell, when I took the dogs out in the backyard this morning I still had a decent signal about 40 yards or more from the house.

The signal on my smart TV has gone from poor to good. As soon as I find the time to run the cable, I’ll wire it myself. For now, that’s all I’ll do. I’m not doing anything super crazy that I need the entire home wired.

It was nice to be able to sit down for the first time in ages and watch movies on the Firestick and not have them freeeze up every five minutes.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hope your Google WiFi works out, John. I'll be anxious to see what you guys think of it after a few months of use.

When we had our custom home built, I had CAT5E run....everywhere. Right to wall plates in every room. Overall cost is a few hundred bucks when it's in the studs before the sheet rock goes in. Such a simple, easy, and powerful addition to the home. Can't recommend that enough.

Hope your Google WiFi works out, John. I'll be anxious to see what you guys think of it after a few months of use.

When we had our custom home built, I had CAT5E run....everywhere. Right to wall plates in every room. Overall cost is a few hundred bucks when it's in the studs before the sheet rock goes in. Such a simple, easy, and powerful addition to the home. Can't recommend that enough.
Lol! Could just me reading into it Tom, but!!!!!!

I can almost hear the disappointed fatherly tone from the patriarch who thinks his son made a mistake not taking dads expert advice. :D

Hopefully, I am still happy three, or four months from now and I didn’t waste $270.00. I promise I’ll swallow my pride and be the first to admit,”I was wrong, and you were right.”

Hehe. I read it that way too. If it’s any consolation, we have had our Google WiFi since last Christmas and have not been disappointed yet.

Not at all, John - !!! Pulling wires in an existing home varies from a pain in the ass to impossible. In our current home, I couldn't get a CAT5 cable pulled into the living room as it was added on over the years and there's foundation in the way. I totally get it.

The point I was making, and obviously doing a poor job of, was that when you're building a house, before the sheet rock goes up, you can wire the whole house, easily, completely, every room, for a couple hundred bucks. Even if you never use the wires, I can't help but think it would be a good selling point worth several times the investment, down the road.

That is one of the things I miss most about the old house - a wall plate with a couple of gigabit ethernet drops in every room. All active. Inside the TV cabinet, everywhere...it really was pretty cool.

$29 bucks in X10 powerline adapters would get you better thru-put.

For a few more bucks you could get one with an antennae to extend the network too.
:)

Then you'd have some funds for more smokes!

:p

Oh - then there's this...

Funny after all this talk....

Inspecting this old home from the 1890’s belonging to this old couple in their 80’s and it’s wired everywhere. So I go in the attic and see this. :rolleyes:

1A242B0C-F2E3-44F5-95BB-E74B333E5EF5.jpeg