• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bird Watchers

So I haven’t gone down this hole yet and I plan on getting some feeders, but what do you guys do about all the bird shit? I assume there is a fair amount of it, around the feeder? Guess I’ll just plan on power washing the deck, more often. Or find a way to put a feeder, in the yard.

So I haven’t gone down this hole yet and I plan on getting some feeders, but what do you guys do about all the bird shit? I assume there is a fair amount of it, around the feeder? Guess I’ll just plan on power washing the deck, more often. Or find a way to put a feeder, in the yard.
Yeah I would not have a feeder on my deck. I have a few feeders and they are all out at the fence line where the birds can poop wherever they want.

The bird shit can be an issue, but the seed and shell residue grit can really tear up the finish on a deck. I dropped a post a few feet off the deck for the main feeders , which I can access from the deck on a ladder. I also have shepherd’s hooks on the deck edge that I use for seasonal feeders, like the Baltimore Oriole feeder and the hummingbird feeders.

I agree with @TexasTraveler the deck is problematic. I have a duel hook post made for handing things in one of our gardens. Its very visible from where I smoke my afternoon cigar.

I agree with Aaron. I wouldn’t put one on my deck, but would and have hung a hummingbird feeder there.

That being said, it’s not as messy as chickens where it piles up and is very obvious. Our feeders are right by the smoking fire pit patio I made out back and I don’t even notice anything I’d describe as a disgusting mess, even though we see a lot of traffic, including squirrels.

I agree with Aaron. I wouldn’t put one on my deck, but would, and have hung a hummingbird feeder there.

That being said, it’s not as messy as chickens where it piles up and is very obvious. Our feeders are right by the smoking fire pit patio I made out back and I don’t even notice anything I’d describe as a disgusting mess, even though we see a lot of traffic, including squirrels.

I agree with Aaron. I wouldn’t put one on my deck, but would, and have hung a hummingbird feeder there.

I agree with Aaron. I wouldn’t put one on my deck, but would and have hung a hummingbird feeder there.

I think @jfields agrees with me! But if you want to state it again, I'm cool with that. ;)

As far as placement of your feeders, it really depends how you use your deck , and how interactive you want to be with the birds.

For example, I do my naked Tai Chi on the deck - neighbors call me the Human Sundial - but the birds don’t seem to mind it.
The “Human Sundial”. That has to be quite a sight - most especially for your neighbors. But what do they do on overcast days?

The bird shit can be an issue, but the seed and shell residue grit can really tear up the finish on a deck. I dropped a post a few feet off the deck for the main feeders , which I can access from the deck on a ladder. I also have shepherd’s hooks on the deck edge that I use for seasonal feeders, like the Baltimore Oriole feeder and the hummingbird feeders.
The only thing that is really coated with bird poop is the squirrel baffles - and my car. Both are easily cleaned with a hose. But the pile of seeds under the feeder - I had to find a fix for that. Ended up using Droll Yankee Thistle feeders. That’s cut down on the pile quite a bit. And I’m very lucky the mourning doves, bluejays, cardinals, starlings and redwing blackbirds like to feed off the ground.

Last edited:
The “Human Sundial”. That has to be quite a sight - most especially for your neighbors. But what do they do on overcast days?

Don’t be silly George, my neighbors have iPhones. 🙄

I used to do my naked Tai Chi at night in the backyard, but I learned the landscape lighting cast a puppet show shadow over the neighborhood - traumatized neighbors thought they were under attack from Mr. Snuffleupagus.

Don’t be silly George, my neighbors have iPhones. 🙄

I used to do my naked Tai Chi at night in the backyard, but I learned the landscape lighting cast a puppet show shadow over the neighborhood - traumatized neighbors thought they were under attack from Mr. Snuffleupagus.

I have fond memories of watching Mr. Snuffleupagus back in '72 - 80' with the kids, and brother Miles, I think you are safe cause you ain't got that kind of shadow.

360B37A0-B9B8-4C00-913C-D98A36E4A00E.jpeg