• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bird Watchers

You guys have some incredible photos of these birds! Loving it, thanks! I have a hummingbird feeder outside, but you guys are giving me some good ideas 😄

I was out in the backyard playing with the settings on my Nikon camera when this little guy showed up in my view. Caught me completely by surprise. Sorry the pictures are not better - I need to work on a few things to get it completely locked in...
_DSC1573.jpg
_DSC1572.jpg
_DSC1571.jpg

There was alot of bird activity in my area yesterday. Seen my first Cardinal of the year. Might have to take some pics for you guys.

I have a woodpecker that's been hanging around all winter. Not sure what he is, has some bands on his back and a really golden-orange underside when he flies.

Looks like it might be a Golden Fronted Woodpecker. Little dash of red on his head, not nearly as much as the Red-Headed Woodpecker. My main issue is that when I'm generally out there relaxing, the birds are between me and the sun so a dark silhouette is what I see. Some times I get some better lit views.

Look like this guy? This is a Northern Flicker - a type of woodpecker. When they fly that have a very distinct yellow color (used to be called Yellow Shafted Flicker).

059A9259.jpg
059A9269.jpg
059A9284.jpg

Times like this I wish I had something like @ggiese & @smellysell have in their camera arsenal. I only have an iPhone! This Indigo Bunting is not something I see very often in my neck of the woods.
View attachment 69603View attachment 69604View attachment 69605
Yeah - the damn House Sparrows around us keep the Eastern Bluebirds and Indigo Buntings well away from our feeders... 😡😡

With that structure you have there they are sitting in, those would be some way cool photos with a good lens and camera sensor!

With all of our garden's in full bloom we have a lot of Humming Birds. From where I sit to smoke my cigar I've seen them as close as 3'. Last week I brought my iPhone out with me and this is what I was able to get. The photos don't do them Justis. I can always hear them before I see them. These photos were taken from about 10' away.
Hummer 2.jpgHummer 3.jpgHummer 4.jpg
Edit because I can't spell or write a complete sentence.

Last edited:
We went to see the vagrant American Flamingo in Pennsylvania this week. Many flamingos from Cuba and Mexico have been deposited around the eastern US due to Hurricane Idalia. It was remarkable, that a pair of these birds flew all the way to PA, and have been hanging out in a small pond doing their thing for ten days now. The day before we arrived, a juvenile was bitten by a snapping turtle and was rescued by a raptor rehab center. This pair was a state record for PA, and many other states have their first flamingo records as well.

My pics aren't great, but the experience was phenomenal. Hot Limpkin Summer has been replaced by Flamingo Fall as the pink wave has been causing quite a stir among birders.

2023-09-12 10.56.09.jpg2023-09-12 10.56.17.jpg2023-09-12 10.59.04-1.jpg2023-09-12 11.14.17-1.jpg2023-09-12 11.15.35-1.jpg

Latest group of birds around the feeders. The Bluejay has been absent for a month or so, but showed back up again yesterday. A very rare sighting for us at the feeders of a White Throated Sparrow and the Junco's are back and settling in for the upcoming winter months.

DSC_3744.jpgDSC_3740.jpg

DSC_3728.jpg