• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

black ooze

wstein

I have a question, and so far I haven't gotten an answer. The other day I was at the golf course enjoying a decent round of golf and a Rocky Patel Edge Maduro. About half way through it, I noticed a sharp bitter taste on my lips and tongue after each puff. I looked at it, and where I had punched it, there was a black tar/molassas like ooze coming out. I have never seen this, nor has anyone at my cigar shop where I bought it. Needless to say, I chucked that cigar in the nearest lake.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Or know what it is/was?

Thanks
Paul

Tar. Sometimes because the cigar is too wet or sometimes just because.

Sometimes it is the punching instead of cutting. It bottle necks it and it burns hotter.

I have a question, and so far I haven't gotten an answer. The other day I was at the golf course enjoying a decent round of golf and a Rocky Patel Edge Maduro. About half way through it, I noticed a sharp bitter taste on my lips and tongue after each puff. I looked at it, and where I had punched it, there was a black tar/molassas like ooze coming out. I have never seen this, nor has anyone at my cigar shop where I bought it. Needless to say, I chucked that cigar in the nearest lake.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Or know what it is/was?

Thanks
Paul

It happens. I have seen it before, I just wipe off the tar and continue to puff away as long as there is not too much of it like the link I posting below.

http://www.stogiereview.com/2008/09/09/tar...h-made-in-hell/

David

It happens. I have seen it before, I just wipe off the tar and continue to puff away as long as there is not too much of it like the link I posting below.

http://www.stogiereview.com/2008/09/09/tar...h-made-in-hell/

David

Yuck, there is no amount of wiping (not to mention once you get that crap on your tongue). The only thing that has worked for me is cutting off more cigar. I typically blame the combination of a Tar succeptable cigar with too small a cut head for tar balls. I've yet to have a cigar continue seeping after I opened it up a bit more.

As stated above, just cutting more off the head should take care of most of the problem. You can also blow into the cigar (called purging) for several seconds to help push the tar away from the cut.

This happens to me with Torps when I don't cut enough off the end. Opening it up with a larger cut alleviates the problem as others have said.

Just lick it all off, it will make you appreciate your cigar more. It is quite a shocker when you get a taste on the tongue. Kind of a snowball type of thing! HAHA :laugh:

This happened to me also. I was smoking a Power Ranger, and as soon as that stuff hit my lips I stamped that sucker out with my boot! No, just kidding. Wipe it off and continue. With the xXx, it kept coming but I wasn't about to throw it away! I also had a Tat that had a ton of tar on it. Usually it's dark red. I keep a little rag by my smoking chair just in case.

This thread has started to make me paranoid lol... I keep staring at the butt now.

This happens to me with Torps when I don't cut enough off the end. Opening it up with a larger cut alleviates the problem as others have said.

That is exactly what happen today! I had a Padron 64 torpedo and wanted to enjoy every bit of it so I had an angled short cut and sure enough! Yeppp tar! I snipped it again and and it was all gone!

I double dare you to lick the the black ooze! he he he

Another thing I've found that helps is to slow down and stop drawing on the cigar like your sucking a golf ball through a garden hose. I've seen more than a few cigar smokers that suck on the things like there's no tomorrow and they seem to have more tar issues than those who take it easy. If the extra clipping doesn't work, give that a try.

Torpedoes are more susceptible, it seems, but I've had at least 2 coronas that had tar problems.