• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

First off I want to thank James for sending this off to me. I had no idea what this was when I opened the package and let it sit in the humidor for 2 weeks before I lit it up tonight.

The cigar is a robusto size with a crooked triple cap and has a few large veins running through the length of the wrapper. There are a few pieces of wrapper chipped off from where the label was removed revealing a much lighter colored filler. The wrapper itself is a dark color, but somewhat lighter than a maduro and there's a bit of a glimmer to it when held up to the light. The culprit smelled wonderful, like hay and flowers...seems like a good cigar for a nice spring day.

I decided I would drink a DFH Hellhound tonight with the mystery cigar. It's a lighter beer with a lemon finish that refreshes the palate. It turned out the be a great compliment to the cigar.

I clipped the cap and torched the foot and my first puff was delicious. There was a slightly grassy and very sweet taste to the cigar and I think I know what it is immediately, but can't quite put my finger on it. It tasted like something between a RASS and a Dominican Romeo Y Julieta. It didn't quite add up in my mind, but I wasn't going to worry about it. The initial taste was like honey and fresh cut wood. There was a hint of something floral or fruity on the finish. The retrohale was smooth and didn't burn or have a spice to it. The cigar didn't put off much smoke when I let it rest, but each puff lingered on the palate with a buttery sweetness that made me want more.

gallery_12094_1464_623835.jpg

The flavor was consistent throughout the first half. The ash was a flaky white that wanted to fall off at each 1/2 inch so I would tap it off occasionally and just enjoy the nice evening with this cigar and beer.

I worked on my drink with the slightly sour finish and enjoyed the cigar with all its sweetness and noticed the flavor start to change in the second half. There was more of a chocolate taste and more of an eathy wood to go with the sweet. I was enjoying being able to relax this evening too much to really think about the cigar and just kept smoking.

gallery_12094_1464_383303.jpg

As I worked my way down the cigar the sweetness faded to give way to a more peppery and leathery taste that worked it's way into the flavor. I enjoyed this one down to the end.

gallery_12094_1464_667223.jpg

I think it might be a RASS, but it tastes like a muduro. There was a certain floral quality that reminded me of some Dominican puros I've had.

Envelope is sitting here and I had to open it...La Gloria Cubana Serie N. I was surprised and didn't even think of it. I've had the Serie R and enjoyed it, and usually go towards other brands when I'm at the B&M, but this one was more balanced to my taste. I'll have to pick up some more of these for the rotation. Thanks Jim for evening smoke, I'm not sure I would have tried this on my own and I'm glad I did!

Great review man. I think this is what this thread is all about. I first didn't like ChiefMD's La Aroma, but now it's a standard in my rotation.

Ok so I am no cigar professional here so take it for what it’s worth. I will do my best with this. Engspot thanks again for the great cigars and knocking a couple off my wish list with this blind review pass.

gallery_13257_1622_936062.jpg

My initial thought was a Padron 1964 Superior but after second glance and another feel this cigar seems a little thinner than the Superior and a touch longer at 6 ¾” where the Superior is 6 ½”. Also the wrapper seems to be a little darker than the Padron.

gallery_13257_1622_445644.jpg

So I light this bad boy up and the first few draws I get a little spice and a light sense of coco. The burn is very smokey with a very distinct thick white and blue smoke that I have seen before on a very newly popular line. At this point with the initial flavor and smoke I want to say that it is a Liga Privada L40. The size does match being smaller than a 42 ring gauge that the Superior is but my tape measure is coming in at 6 ¾” not 7”.

After the first third the spice dropped off and the coco flavor stayed strong. The cigar got a nice sweet flavor in the middle. The cigar has become much smoother and the very enjoyable at this point in the cigar. However the burn has gone off line a bit. The ash was not strong at all dropping off often.

gallery_13257_1622_77060.jpg

Now into the second third noting has changed with the flavor but the burn is slowly straightening out.

gallery_13257_1622_609056.jpg

The final notes the cigar stayed the same with the flavor to me light coco flavor and very sweet with thick clouds of smoke on every puff. The cigar is very enjoyable and would love to try another one at some point. I smoked this one to a nub

gallery_13257_1622_667599.jpg

I open the envelope and it is a New Havana Cigars House Blend!

gallery_13257_1622_906535.jpg

Outstanding Cigar Thanks Engspot.

Paul

Your review put me over the edge, I've been meaning to try these for a while now just haven't gotten around to ordering any.

Glad you liked it Paul. I got a whole bunch in a sampler from NHC.

They were blended by Tatuaje and NHC has the Selection Limitada's on sale now. I've been pleased with them for the price I paid and I'd recommend them to anyone who like Tats.

My turn!

This great Natural looking robusto smoke started with a Draw that was very smooth, not too loose.
White ash, spicy notes, earthy tones all started with the first third.
Half way it seems to get stronger, nice tobacco flavor. The aroma is enticing, good solid sweet smell offsetting the slight spice on the pallet. Just getting past the half way point it begins to balance out with a nice hint of leather, no spice, and the earthy points stay strong. I am really enjoying this, not to hard on a 90 degree day!

PhotoJun1051959PM.jpg

PhotoJun1055141PM.jpg

I was floored when I opened the final envelope!
I had never smoked this before, but my guess was somewhere along the lines of a Padron....I was wrong; My Father Flor de las Antillas sungrown rodusto! I must say it was a great smoke at that price point, I would buy some in the future! I can say now that i recognize the spice and aroma from other DPG smokes, but really enjoyed the uniqueness of this one!

thank you!!

Here it is boys . . . Sorry for the delay.

Upon first inspection, the cigar seemed to trigger thoughts of "I've seen you before". My initial thought was a Illusion ~88~ Maduro.
The roll job was impeccable! Pre-light aroma had a very distinct smell of "leather".
gallery_13416_1483_14336.jpg

When I fired it up, it started out mellow and had hints of spice...
first thought - "Im in for a treat".

gallery_13416_1483_16636.jpg

This cigar held an amazing ash nearly half way down before falling off. Great plumes of smoke. I know I have traveled this road before but couldn't put my finger on it. It started to get hot on me after some time so I needed to let it rest for a couple mins...It was so delicious, I couldn't pace myself! This stick was a real treat. After smoking it down to the nub, I had to burn and open the envelope to reveal it's identity.
gallery_13416_1483_12228.jpg

Boy was I surprised! Well, kind of.... of course JD would be behind this delicious stick! :thumbs: Turned out to be a Liga Privada No.9
Not the Illusion 88 Maduro I was originally thinking. Great stick fellas. Get your hands on one if you haven't already. Thanks so much
for the sticks Paul. Now time for that slice of pizza in the background. :laugh:

gallery_13416_1483_28270.jpg

Okay here's my blind review!

Sorry for the no pics, I kind of have a problem with photobucket. (anyone with a replacement solution?)

So I opened up my NC humidor last monday to pick up a smoke to finish the beautiful sunny day we had and I eye the anonymus smoke I received and tought ' hey this could work'.

So I sat outside and examined the mystery stick. It had a nice and oily wrapper combiend with a very nice construction. After cutting the head (and noting there were no triple cap) I took a draw to reveal a little spice, nuts and leather flavors. I then proceeded to take an other all around look and noticed the foot seened to have a two colors. Dark around and light brown in the middle. Intrigued I put the fire to the cigar.

The first draw gave me a leather/woody taste topped with a little bit of pepper. Very enjoyable first 1/3 and the ashes were a light gray and the smoked burne perfectly. Something was noticed while I looked at the smoke betweene the draws: it made me think of something I already had smoke but could not put my fingers on it.

The 2nd tier gave way to less pepper and more of the nutty / wood flavors but they were feeling/tasting torrefied now.

The last tier gave all the place to the torrefied notes I had began to get in the 2nd tier and added a touch of moka to the mix. The enjoyability was getting better with each draw.

Being in the last part of the cigar I began working my memory on what cigar had given me this kind of experience before. Since I have not smoked a lot of NC's (I knew it was an NC since it had no triple cap) I then went to my 'smoked stick list' and got down to two brand wich were Joya de Nicaragua and Rocky Patel Sungrown. I then remembered the RP I smoked then day before (obtain in a trade with Yojimbo) and started thinking they were similiar but not exactly identical. After I got thru with my thinking about maybe one had more age to it than the other I choose RP Sun Grown and what do I see while I openup the secret envelope!

RP Sun Grown!!

I will say that this guess was more lucky than anything else since I smoked one the day before. If I had not I would never been close to picking the correct answer...

So here it is, my first review of a stick. Hope you will enjoy it at least half of what I enjoyed the stick!

And hopefully the next guesser/reviewer will have as much fun as I did while writing down notes for the write up.

OK here goes!

The cigar has good construction, no major flaws except for a tear in the wrapper around where the band usually goes. Prob from removal of the band. Looks to be a robusto and has a triple cap.

It has that signature hay/barnyard aroma that I've found a lot of ISOMs have, and the wrapper has a slight oily sheen to it.
DSC03246.jpg

I cut the cap with my v notch cutter and take the pre-light draw. I get almost no flavors at all other than muted tobacco.

After toasting the foot I take a few deep draws to get the burn going and the flavors don't show much more than slightly sweet tobacco. No guesses yet other than something ISOM.

DSC03250.jpg

As I move through the first 3rd I'm getting some pleasant sweet tobacco and mild coffee flavors. It is definitely holding in the mild-med range and the aroma from the burn is far surpassing the flavors right now. Ash is light grey and holding on nicely until I tap it off. A few touch ups are needed as the burn tends to be a little whacky.

Moving into the second 3rd now the flavors are getting a bit richer. Mainly showing coffee and sweet tobacco still and something almost like how you would describe the burnt sugar on top of a creme brulee. Still no guesses but I'm almost 100% sold on the fact that its ISOM.

DSC03254.jpg

As I move to the final 3rd the flavors are holding and a slightly unpleasant burnt flavor is starting to creep in as it still requires touch-ups to stay burning evenly. Im not quite sure if this is due to construction or the fact that I wasn't patient enough to let it sit for more than 5 days in my humi, but I get a little ways into the final 3rd when I decide its time to put it down as the burnt flavor is dominating now.

Final guess: Something ISOM but no idea which specific cigar.

The grand reveal: HdM Epicure No. 2.
DSC03255.jpg

DSC03256.jpg

DSC03257.jpg

DSC03259.jpg

Thanks, Louich for the opportunity to review this cigar! Overall it was enjoyable despite the end being not super pleasant.

So school has really been busy plus I am training for a triathlon so yea...but I figured I needed to sit down and relax and smoke this bad boy. I'm studying right now too haha

62c4f69c-21ad-bda9.jpg

Construction and smell: construction is fabulous. No veins an tight packing. Nice oily sheen to the wrapper. Smell is of barn hay and other pleasant aromas which I can't pick out.

Smoke: as I lit the cigar there is a good amount of smoke between puffs which leads me to think its of the drew estates line. I'm thinking a T52? Maybe. The perfect draw and packing leads me to think this too.

First third: perfect draw. Not too spicy. A little burn on the back end. Perfect white ash.
62c4f69c-2295-e26f.jpg

I get hints of something dark. Maybe light cocoa. I'd say right now this is a medium smoke. Lots of smoke though...the more I smoke this the more I'm convinced it's of the Liga clan.

Second third: Creamy smoke. Still lots of smoke. I've yet to fix any burn issues. Razor sharp burn since the initial light. This is definitely a cigar that could be a go to cigar. Hopefully it's not expensive haha

Last third: this cigar maintained its taste throughout the whole smoke. Very consistent. I'm still thinking its something from drew estates.

I'm interested to see what the winner is.
62c4f69c-2b9d-ed20.jpg

The winner is...
62c4f69c-2bd1-3180.jpg

Wow did not expect that one. A my father LE 2010. I don't have much experience with the my father line but this smoke was impeccable. Although its hard to pick out certain nuances Ina cigar what most of us look for is construction, appearance, burn, etc. this cigar was not lacking in any of those areas.

Can't think of a better way to study!

[background=rgb(251, 249, 244)]Blind Cigar Review[/background]

[background=rgb(251, 249, 244)]so I was sent this great looking cigar from James. The cigar is a maduro wrapper. Great maduro smell to it. No oil on the wrapper but great construction. I get sort of a nutty nose on it before lighting.[/background]

First third: [background=rgb(251, 249, 244)]No real spice to speak of. A nice maduro smoke, smooth. I get some barnyard hay flavors, maybe some nuttiness. The ash is a medium dark gray and no real burn issues to speak of.[/background]

[background=rgb(251, 249, 244)]This is actually a really nice smoke so far. Not one of the strong maduros that I normally smoke...very smooth. Probably some sort of limited edition that I won't be able to get haha or on the opposite spectrum it could be similar to a Punch London Club that punklawyer got me with one time haha[/background]

Second Third: [background=rgb(251, 249, 244)]More of the nuttiness has come out in the second third. Still smooth. [/background]

Last Third: [background=rgb(251, 249, 244)]Still getting the nuttiness as the main flavor. Its hard for me to discern specific flavors in cigars but this has been a pretty smooth smoke overall. No burn issues at all. There was no spice throughout the smoke.[/background]

[background=rgb(251, 249, 244)]Would I purchase this smoke again? Sure! The ring gauge is small enough to not be overpowering and the smoke lasted about an hour and some change.[/background]

[background=rgb(251, 249, 244)]So the verdict is: Alec bradley Black Market Toro!! Crazy! I absolutely hated the alec bradley prensado but this is a great smoke. Ive been tricked again! haha I will definitely look into purchasing some of these smokes[/background]

7FBD2749-F5D5-4560-B1E1-032315F9AE95-1371-000000A8B582A97E_zpsdd90bbc1.jpg

1F4AEE6A-D5A6-4D8A-88A6-F17BE19A5654-1371-000000A8B2FBFEF9_zpse54829a5.jpg

0317C01E-FA75-43F7-A16B-250D0C647768-1371-000000A8AF3BFD88_zps0d117e4c.jpg

707807C8-0C95-499E-89FB-B00B2E64DC2B-1371-000000A8B8266F78_zpsf2694903.jpg

The blind reviews are a little thin for the past 6 months  :whistling:

engspot said:
The blind reviews are a little thin for the past 6 months  :whistling:

Now that I can taste and smell again after having a cold, I will get mine done this weekend. 

It does get a little thin around winter time.  Lot of people in colder climates.  Lets try and kick it back up though, folks!

We're getting dumped on with snow and winds so this is happening either in 24-48 hours. :(

Here goes....

Pre light appearance is dark chocolate wrapper with a rustic look, some sheen, Round cap with some different lighter colored leaf seen by foot.  nicely packed, no soft spots, firm feel, nice open draw, flavor at cold of bread and slight black pepper spice with slight sweetness.  Aroma of good tobacco, cedar, hay.
a
CP1.jpg
CP2.jpg
CP4.jpg

At first light and upon first few puffs, leather and wood, slight spice like pepper. Not huge volumes of smoke, but upon puffing decent output.  After 1 inch, spice fades, mostly cedar, spice is like nutmeg or chinese 5 spice, smoke is creamy, still mostly cedar and leather, some dark roast coffee like notes.

CP5.jpg
CP11.jpg

Burn was slightly off, but self corrected quickly, Solid medium flavor and strength. End of 1st third has a raisin like sweetness that shows up, mixing well with the dark roast coffee like notes. At this point I'd guess this is a Nicaraguan smoke. The smoke turns cream to chalky. Easy to smoke, ash is rock solid firm and a nice grey color. Mild at end of 1st third, entering into 2nd third.

CP9.jpg
CP10.jpg

Almond like flavor with cedar and slight raisin like sweetness at 2nd third. Smoke aroma is mostly roasted nuts, any spice is now in background. Smoke is now medium - in strength.  Puffs conitnue to provide good volume of smoke, 2nd third continues to be very mild, mostly nuts.  Cedar is all but gone, Coffe is gone. hints of the spice return midway through the 2nd third.  Chalky smoke, aroma is cedar, pleasant smoke. Spice is present on noes, continues mild/medium in strength.  Now I'm thinking Dominican. continues with mostly cedar and nuts, creamy smoke, could be due to larger ring size. 
CP12.jpg
CP13.jpg

Spice faint in final 3rd, floral like aroma in final 3rd. End continues mild, woody, cedar, slight coffee peeks out, nuts continue.

My guess is Perdomo???

Reveal is AVO Limited Edition 09 compañero!

Smoking time 1hour 15mins.
Weather 20 degrees with sunshine in the mile high city.

Thanks Alan (culturedhick) for the chance to smoke this unique stick!

If given the opportunity, would smoke this again.

The finish lingers with that "mushroom/damp" note found in AVO/Davidoffs. My mouth next morning tastes like I was eating mushrooms as a snack last night.

Final 4/5 stars