• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

blind_cigar_zpsc9bf21c6.jpg

Blind Review

Appearance construction - Very tightly wrapped with a large vein running through the length of the cigar. Beautiful dark wrapper with excellent cap construction.

Prelight draw - This has notes of cinnamon and pepper, and underlying herbal notes not quite grassy, but very subtle.

1/3 - Getting good draw with wonderful spicy notes of coffee and nutmeg. It has a very unique profile one I've had before yet can't put my finger on, something Peppin or Johnson.

2/3 - This is where the herbal notes started to come center stage, marrying well with the pepper and woodiness that is rounding out the flavor profile. Strength has maintained to this point and the spice left on the exhale is great.

3/3 As this was a smaller ring gauge smoke, it did start to heat up a bit, so I rested it and let it cool down. At this point I'm getting a faintness of spicy acidity that is from the herbal notes earlier in the smoke.

The smoke at this point is incredible and the ash is holding well. The turns and changes that this single stick went through in this time was great, it was very familiar, yet I still can't put my finger on it.

I'm guessing this is a DPG/Tatuaje of some sort as I can remember the profile, but not the name.

After peeking - Tatuaje La Casita Criolla HCB! I was close!

Thanks Paul for this blind smoke, it was a good one.

Thanks for the great review Jimmy I am glad you enjoyed the smoke and I enjoyed reading your review! :thumbs:

Paul

Stay tuned REVIEW IN PROGRESS!

edit:
Decided I am going to post the review later tonight once kids go to bed, so I can make sure I do it right. And not rush through it. Probably around 8-9pm Eastern. FYI.

Sorry this took so long, but were finally moved in to the new house!

So this is not only my first Pass, its a Blind. I am new to this all together so here it goes.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11166]

Also note, to make sure I wouldn't peek, I left the envelope with the band in it at work, for after I do the review. Ill post the band tomorrow.

So after opening the package I found 5 nice sticks, 1 of them obviously un banded. It measures about 6 inches long and if I had to guess about a 60 ring? Very tight and nice construction. Actually 1 of the nicest looking and feeling cigars I think I may have had my hands on to date. The wrapper color was a Medium brown/tan color, with a mild smell. A few nice strong veins running throughout.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11176]

After lighting the first 1/4 had a very earthy taste followed by a slight pepper finish. (now note to all, I am not a fan of the pepper taste at all at this point) But all and all it was not bad. Ash burned perfectly even, and smoke produced was nice. The aroma surrounding was mild/strong. At this point im guessing a med/full bodied cigar. Still no idea what I have lit.

Approaching the 1/2 way point it started to burn a little off to the side (could be due to the windy environment we had here in CT today) a slight torch to the edge fixed it right up. So around the half way point, smoke produced is still very nice and smooth, I have noticed at this point a bit of the earthiness I tasted in the beginning has now subsided to a nicer clean rich tobacco flavor still followed by pepper finish. Now at just past 1/2 I begin to think I have a FULL bodied cigar on my hands, Being a noob it is starting to kick my ass (what I mean by this is, I am starting to get hungry, and need a drink. So I grab a soda and continue on)

3/4 Mark the cigar has yet again started to burn off to one side, and a quick touch up with the torch does the trick. The nicer tobacco flavor is now loosing to the peppery taste throughout on every puff. Sorry guys at this point I am considering throwing in the towel. Getting a little to peppery for my taste. But I power on yet again. (now at this point my lack of taste for peppery cigars is really making it hard for me to distinguish any other tastes I maybe missing) The smell of the smoke still is a nice RICH cigar scent and is still producing nice quality smoke and burning straight.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11177]
I got another inch past this picture, before my phone battery died.

7/8 Mark. This is where I had to call it quits. 1st it was starting to get a little warm, and more peppery for me. My boss at this point was ridding my ass about getting TONS of cars painted today since I was off all last week for vacation to move into the new house.

So my final thoughts.

Great cigar, Im guessing a Full bodied. I don't have allot of experience and comparisons here with my lack of experience.
Was thinking something in the Liga Privada series from Drew Estates or Diesel Unlimited series. Now there is no way in HELL I am even close!

I will post my findings tomorrow when I open the envelope. THANKS FOR LETTING ME PARTICIPATE hope I did everything correct.

And the verdict is...............................................

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11178]

Herrera Esteli 

Yea that's what I guessed... LOL haha Had a good time Thanks guys! Lets keep it going, I asked who wants it in the other thread no takers!?!?!?

Good review for a first blind PIF!

Many times the wrapper can give you clues to a cigar, especially with a stick like LP or Diesel.  Those are little tips or tricks you'll be able to use as you smoke more and keep mental or physical notes on various sticks.

bluue13 said:
Good review for a first blind PIF!

Many times the wrapper can give you clues to a cigar, especially with a stick like LP or Diesel.  Those are little tips or tricks you'll be able to use as you smoke more and keep mental or physical notes on various sticks.

Cool thanks. I don't have a TON of background to refer to so, again BLIND in this case was a understatement. Had a good time thinking about what the hell it was though. 

A naked cigar is hard to guess, especially one with a common wrapper like the Herrera Esteli's Habano wrapper, I mean it could be any one of hundreds of stogies.

How many of these sticks have you smoked? Seeing you guessed it spot on, it's a great guess.

Thanks for the review!

emoshun said:
A naked cigar is hard to guess, especially one with a common wrapper like the Herrera Esteli's Habano wrapper, I mean it could be any one of hundreds of stogies.

How many of these sticks have you smoked? Seeing you guessed it spot on, it's a great guess.

Thanks for the review!

??? I didn't guess spot on ???

Jimmy I think you are miss understanding him He did not guess it at all his guess was LP line from DE or a Diesel Unlimited. Once he reviled the cigar he was being sarcastic.

emoshun said:
Thanks for helping point that out as I didn't catch it at all.

No problem I think Chief might have missed it as well.

Whoops sorry for the confusion guys, Yes Paul is correct, I was being sarcastic. Reading back, I see how it can be mistaken. 

Nice guess, good review, I think you may have been puffing in this too fast as to why there was so much pepper there. I find these to be a solid medium with sweetness, herbal, and coffee/earth like flavors, or as doc calls em' olifactory hallucinations.