• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

yeah the last 3-4 puffs I couldn't tell if I was tasting the cigar or if I was tasting burnt skin from my lips
Glad you enjoyed it!!! FYI, that stick came from the Fuente Holiday Sampler... The only stick smoked from it so far... You got me wanting to try the other 20 year that is in there now...

Last edited:
This makes me want to break out one of these and see how it’s matured. I didn’t love it when they were first released.

Alright, my turn to embarrass myself! I received this from @CBoukal last week, and it immediately went into the dry box. Today was beautiful -- about 70Ëš F, sunny, and no wind. I watched Enzo and the neighbor's dog beat each other up while I smoked it, paying attention to each draw; no books or other distractions. Paired with Crystal Light peach iced tea.

AD12B49D-935E-4A50-9A5E-C93874075ABE_1_105_c.jpeg

First thing I noticed was that it was much lighter than the JL2 I had in The Box next to it. There was a nice triple cap, so CC was on my mind. Just by looking at it, it was (I'm guessing) 6 x 50. It appears to be a habano wrapper, but still pretty light in color.

FD8BD88A-A8AA-485F-87D1-0293CD8559A9_1_105_c.jpeg

It smelled of sweet grass -- not really hay or barnyard or the like. It clipped easily, and the cold draw was more of the same, as well as cigarette tobacco. I expected some leather or heavier notes, but there were none. It lit quickly and evenly. Upon first puffs I was pretty sure this was a CC -- very smooth and creamy. There was no bitterness or harshness that you typically get with an NC.

6BEACA0F-0637-4742-A758-F992DD03F4B1_1_105_c.jpeg

The first third was lots of heavy cream like an H. Upmann. There were virtually no notes of anything else; nothing floral or leathery. The draw was perfect, and the ash was dark and flakey. Again, I'm thinking CC. On the opposite page I posited that it may be a Boli of some sort based on the size, but it was way too light in body and flavor. Upmann Mag 50, maybe? I've never had one, but it definitely reminded me of the 46 and 54. Not much changed in the profile throughout the first third, but that's ok. It was highly enjoyable. Still on the CC Train. In fact, I noted that if it was an NC, I needed to know the blend so I could source more of the like.

4F41884D-E14C-4976-9F90-18CFC12929A6_1_105_c.jpeg

In the second third, the cream remained, and I got a little bit of coffee. I noted at one point there was something like vanilla mocha. I started picking up a wood-like finish as the cigar burned on. A bit of oak here and there, and something else popped up I couldn't place, but was very pleasant. Overall, though, the heavy cream was predominant. As I've never smoked a Mag50 before, I started to second guess my ring gauge estimate and was thinking it was maybe a Mag 46. My thoughts were definitely H. Upmann.

8FD6AA43-A588-4FD3-9117-F3D8FC25D138_1_105_c.jpeg

Final third was more creaminess, with mocha and maybe cocoa, though not the chocolaty power that some cigars have. It picked up in body just a little, as is to be expected this far down, but still no more than a med/med stick. The woody notes came about more often, as well, and there was some "fire pit" flavors -- not overpowering like a KFC. To this point, there was no throat, tongue, or lip tingle, and absolutely no harshness to it. I'm firmly in the belief that this is a CC. Still thinking Upmann, in my limited CC experience.

57348873-7F70-4C7F-975E-5AA4CB68F0C3_1_105_c.jpeg

I took this one down until it was too hot to smoke anymore. It wasn't a very complex cigar, but highly enjoyable. I would be surprised if this was anything but a CC. My notes say that if it is not, it is a well, well aged NC; it was that smooth. I've never experienced a creaminess like this in anything other than a CC, though -- specifically H. Upmann cigars.

IMG_0445.jpeg

I texted Hayden for proof that I was still playing by the rules. My final answer is my original guess: H. Upmann Mag 50 (though I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a Mag 46).

RenderedImage.jpeg

Aaaaaaand, survey says:

IMG_0447.jpeg

2019 Juan Lopez No. 1.

Damn, so close. Size-wise, I contemplated that one at first, but with the coloration difference between this and the JL2, I dismissed it. There was never any doubt in my mind that it was a CC, but I was surprised it was a JL. Thank you for letting me play, Chad. Also, thank you to @CigSid for helping me refine my palate over these past few months of the v-herf and really help me be able to discern what I'm experiencing in my cigars. I've definitely gone from simply, "like/don't like", to being able to savor what I'm smoking and understand it better. Also, as said, I can understand why you favor CCs, exclusively. ;)

Excellent review! Spot on with the flavors, and if you had smoked more JL 1’s, no doubt you would have gotten it.

Alright, my turn to embarrass myself! I received this from @CBoukal last week, and it immediately went into the dry box. Today was beautiful -- about 70Ëš F, sunny, and no wind. I watched Enzo and the neighbor's dog beat each other up while I smoked it, paying attention to each draw; no books or other distractions. Paired with Crystal Light peach iced tea.

View attachment 40748

First thing I noticed was that it was much lighter than the JL2 I had in The Box next to it. There was a nice triple cap, so CC was on my mind. Just by looking at it, it was (I'm guessing) 6 x 50. It appears to be a habano wrapper, but still pretty light in color.

View attachment 40749

It smelled of sweet grass -- not really hay or barnyard or the like. It clipped easily, and the cold draw was more of the same, as well as cigarette tobacco. I expected some leather or heavier notes, but there were none. It lit quickly and evenly. Upon first puffs I was pretty sure this was a CC -- very smooth and creamy. There was no bitterness or harshness that you typically get with an NC.

View attachment 40750

The first third was lots of heavy cream like an H. Upmann. There were virtually no notes of anything else; nothing floral or leathery. The draw was perfect, and the ash was dark and flakey. Again, I'm thinking CC. On the opposite page I posited that it may be a Boli of some sort based on the size, but it was way too light in body and flavor. Upmann Mag 50, maybe? I've never had one, but it definitely reminded me of the 46 and 54. Not much changed in the profile throughout the first third, but that's ok. It was highly enjoyable. Still on the CC Train. In fact, I noted that if it was an NC, I needed to know the blend so I could source more of the like.

View attachment 40751

In the second third, the cream remained, and I got a little bit of coffee. I noted at one point there was something like vanilla mocha. I started picking up a wood-like finish as the cigar burned on. A bit of oak here and there, and something else popped up I couldn't place, but was very pleasant. Overall, though, the heavy cream was predominant. As I've never smoked a Mag50 before, I started to second guess my ring gauge estimate and was thinking it was maybe a Mag 46. My thoughts were definitely H. Upmann.

View attachment 40752

Final third was more creaminess, with mocha and maybe cocoa, though not the chocolaty power that some cigars have. It picked up in body just a little, as is to be expected this far down, but still no more than a med/med stick. The woody notes came about more often, as well, and there was some "fire pit" flavors -- not overpowering like a KFC. To this point, there was no throat, tongue, or lip tingle, and absolutely no harshness to it. I'm firmly in the belief that this is a CC. Still thinking Upmann, in my limited CC experience.

View attachment 40753

I took this one down until it was too hot to smoke anymore. It wasn't a very complex cigar, but highly enjoyable. I would be surprised if this was anything but a CC. My notes say that if it is not, it is a well, well aged NC; it was that smooth. I've never experienced a creaminess like this in anything other than a CC, though -- specifically H. Upmann cigars.

View attachment 40754

I texted Hayden for proof that I was still playing by the rules. My final answer is my original guess: H. Upmann Mag 50 (though I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a Mag 46).

View attachment 40755

Aaaaaaand, survey says:

View attachment 40756

2019 Juan Lopez No. 1.

Damn, so close. Size-wise, I contemplated that one at first, but with the coloration difference between this and the JL2, I dismissed it. There was never any doubt in my mind that it was a CC, but I was surprised it was a JL. Thank you for letting me play, Chad. Also, thank you to @CigSid for helping me refine my palate over these past few months of the v-herf and really help me be able to discern what I'm experiencing in my cigars. I've definitely gone from simply, "like/don't like", to being able to savor what I'm smoking and understand it better. Also, as said, I can understand why you favor CCs, exclusively. ;)
Nice review, I was actually going to send a mag 46 since you had smoked some recently to see if you could get it.