• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Nice review, I was actually going to send a mag 46 since you had smoked some recently to see if you could get it.

Yes, I meant to thank you for not sending something completely obscure that I would have no chance of guessing. Even though I didn't nail the specific marca and vitola, I am pretty happy that I was able to blindly discern what was there -- and not there -- enough to never once second guess its communist roots. I think Bill is right that if I had smoked as many JL1s as I have Upmanns, I may have gotten this one. Thanks, again, Chad. This was a wonderful, wonderful smoke, and now a box of JL1 is on my radar!

Blind Review Completed with images. 5/24/21 11:25 CST
Nick @kann knows this is my first attempt at a review so he’s not trying to trick me (??). He knows that I don’t have much knowledge
about CC’s so I’ll stick with NC’s. The cigar is a lancero with a brown wrapper (habano or oscuro), Pigtail cap, open foot which I believe knocks out a Rojas. Nick told me to do some research (I should have asked @TexasTraveler ) so based on that and a total guess I’m thinking a Tatuaje Monster Series (wrong cap), a My Father or the Dunbarton .NLMTHA (wrong length). Now I’ll start driving you crazy. I’m leaning toward Opus X, My Father La Promesa, or a Don Pepin Original based on an article about pigtail lancero’s. Now I’ll just try to give some thoughts because that’s what matters, not my internet research skills finding something.

Ring Gauge: 38?
Length: 7.5 inches
Type Lancero
Wrapper: light brown, Habano ?? Oscuro
20210523_205959.jpg
20210523_210016.jpg20210523_210009.jpg
Pre Light: not getting much or super light fragrance, cigar looks and feels great

Used my v cutter. The dry draw was “nutty” I’m allergic to nuts but had them as a kid, otherwise I can’t put a finger on it

Time 9:15 pm Sunday 5/23/21 I tend to smoke too fast so we’ll see what happens

First third Enjoyed first couple of draws, plenty of smoke, smooth, leather, cocoa krispies, I know it’s anal ( @Thoughts ), but I was timing my draws with a stopwatch so I didn’t smoke too fast. I’m enjoying this smoke. Do notes have to change over the course of the cigar. Can it just be a good cigar. I’m happy right now, what’s wrong with the cigar staying the same. Cinnamon, not noticing any nicotine issues yet
20210523_214953.jpg
20210523_212258.jpg

2nd third 9:50 more cocoa, canoeing a touch, touched up a little, leaning toward a Don Pepin based. on lancero reviews with cocoa notes. If this is a Factory Smoke, I’m going to save so much money on my future cigar purchases. Wind has picked up a touch so I’ll start getting paranoid about it going out and right on cue it happens. Still cocoa and a touch of bitter, pepper, or dark chocolate?
20210523_222531.jpg

3rd third 10:25 more wind, re lit, maybe some coffee in there too, potato chips, whatever this ends up being, I would have no problem
putting in my rotation Not a lot of new notes after the first third, but is that the fault of the cigar or a newbie smoker?
20210523_225126.jpg
20210523_230151.jpg

Finished at 11:00

What I like:
easy draw
smokey
great cocoa notes
enjoyed the smoke all the way through

What I didn’t like:
Had to re light four times, but lancero’s and wind don’t play well together.

Final thoughts before I open the envelope. I liked the cigar. Cocoa, dark chocolate, maybe some coffee or even nuts. Once it reminded me of
cinnamon and a couple times I thought of potato chips, (who knows) Final guess a Don Pepin or a Monster since Nick said to research and he mentioned once that he really liked the Jason. Otherwise, I have no stinking clue, but I enjoyed it and will be looking to add some to my cooler someday in the near future

And it is a Trinidad Fundadores (BSM Nov 19)
20210523_235307.jpg Damn, that was my next guess. So much for trusting Nick, LOL!!! Funny thing is I thought it could be a cuban a couple times, but I wrote that off pretty quick thinking there was no way he would do that to me.
Thanks Nick I appreciate the process, the challenge, the great stick, and most importantly the camaraderie I've found on CP and the Vherf's

Last edited:
UGH, I put this in the wrong place, then tried to move it and messed it up. I'll try to play with it later. Crap

Blind Review Completed
Nick @kann knows this is my first attempt at a review so he’s not trying to trick me (??). He knows that I don’t have much knowledge
about CC’s so I’ll stick with NC’s. The cigar is a lancero with a brown wrapper (habano or oscuro), Pigtail cap, open foot which I believe knocks out a Rojas. Nick told me to do some research (I should have asked @TexasTraveler ) so based on that and a total guess I’m thinking a Tatuaje Monster Series (wrong cap), a My Father or the Dunbarton .NLMTHA (wrong length). Now I’ll start driving you crazy. I’m leaning toward Opus X, My Father La Promesa, or a Don Pepin Original based on an article about pigtail lancero’s. Now I’ll just try to give some thoughts because that’s what matters, not my computer skills finding something.

Type Lancero

Pre Light: not getting much or super light fragrance, cigar looks and feels great

Used my v cutter. The dry draw was “nutty” I’m allergic to nuts but had them as a kid, otherwise I can’t put a finger on it

1st third Enjoyed first couple of draws, plenty of smoke, smooth, leather, cocoa krispies, I know it’s anal ( @Thoughts ), but I was timing my draws with a stopwatch so I didn’t smoke too fast. I’m enjoying this smoke. Do notes have to change over the course of the cigar. Can it just be a good cigar. I’m happy right now, what’s wrong with the cigar staying the same. Cinnamon, not noticing any nicotine issues yet

2nd third 9:50 more cocoa, canoeing a touch, touched up a little, leaning toward a Don Pepin based. on lancero reviews with cocoa notes. If this is a Factory Smoke, I’m going to save so much money on my future cigar purchases. Wind has picked up a touch so I’ll start getting paranoid about it going out and right on cue it happens. Still cocoa and a touch of bitter, pepper, or dark chocolate?

3rd third 10:25 more wind, re lit, maybe some coffee in there too, potato chips, whatever this ends up being, I would have no problem
putting in my rotation Not a lot of new notes after the first third, but is that the fault of the cigar or a newbie smoker?

What I like:
easy draw
smokey
great cocoa notes

What I didn’t like:

Final thoughts before I open the envelope. I liked the cigar. Cocoa, dark chocolate, maybe some coffee or even nuts. Once it reminded me of
cinnamon and a couple times I thought of potato chips, who knows) Final guess a Don Pepin or a Monster since Nick said to research and he mentioned once that he really liked the Jason. Otherwise, I have no stinking clue, but I enjoyed it and will be looking to add some to my cooler someday in the near future

And it is a Trinidad Fundadores (BSM Nov 19) Damn, that was my next guess. So much for trusting Nick, LOL!!! Funny thing is I thought it could be a cuban a couple times, but I wrote that off pretty quick thinking there was no way he would do that to me. Thanks Nick I appreciate it.
Excellent review, Joe! Nice work!

Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed the cigar. I tried to hint here and there that it was a CC, but couldn't outright tell you. :p Those were some pretty specific guesses, and I'm impressed with the construction research you did. I wish I had another one of these I could send you now that you know what it is; I actually gave all of the ones I received away and only kept one for myself. It has been in the dry box and I can finally smoke it now that you've completed yours!

Some cigars stay the same throughout without much taste evolution, and as long as you are enjoying what you are getting, then that's cool. I haven't honestly smoked enough Fundadores to comment intelligently on their profile. I plan on smoking the one I have today, and I'll get back to you on what I experience. I've had the same issues keeping this stick lit before, as well, so that was nothing out of the ordinary that you had going on there. I'm sure the wind didn't help, as you noted.

Again, excellent review, and I'm happy you liked it! (are there any photos?)

UGH, I put this in the wrong place, then tried to move it and messed it up. I'll try to play with it later. Crap

Blind Review Completed
about CC’s so I’ll stick with NC’s. The cigar is a lancero with a brown wrapper (habano or oscuro), Pigtail cap, open foot which I believe knocks out a Rojas. Nick told me to do some research (I should have asked @TexasTraveler ) so based on that and a total guess I’m thinking a Tatuaje Monster Series (wrong cap), a My Father or the Dunbarton .NLMTHA (wrong length). Now I’ll start driving you crazy. I’m leaning toward Opus X, My Father La Promesa, or a Don Pepin Original based on an article about pigtail lancero’s. Now I’ll just try to give some thoughts because that’s what matters, not my computer skills finding something.

Type Lancero

1st third Enjoyed first couple of draws, plenty of smoke, smooth, leather, cocoa krispies, I know it’s anal ( @Thoughts ), but I was timing my draws with a stopwatch so I didn’t smoke too fast. I’m enjoying this smoke. Do notes have to change over the course of the cigar. Can it just be a good cigar. I’m happy right now, what’s wrong with the cigar staying the same. Cinnamon, not noticing any nicotine issues yet

What I like:
easy draw
smokey
great cocoa notes

What I didn’t like:

cinnamon and a couple times I thought of potato chips, who knows) Final guess a Don Pepin or a Monster since Nick said to research and he mentioned once that he really liked the Jason. Otherwise, I have no stinking clue, but I enjoyed it and will be looking to add some to my cooler someday in the near future

And it is a Trinidad Fundadores (BSM Nov 19) Damn, that was my next guess. So much for trusting Nick, LOL!!! Funny thing is I thought it could be a cuban a couple times, but I wrote that off pretty quick thinking there was no way he would do that to me. Thanks Nick I appreciate it.
Really nice review! It was fun to read and I like the flavors you pulled out.

Well written Joe! Fun to see that you joined just a few months ago smoking in your garage with us on the vherf and now your palate has grown so much. Even describing smokes with notes of taste and smell, happy to see it!!

Time to necrothump (that’s where you insert your thumb AND pointer/middle finger through the anus and ‘thump’ the prostate. You’re welcome) the blind cigar reviews thread with a nice selection sent over by none other than @CBoukal.

let’s start out with cigar numero uno. 1438C925-D92F-4787-B646-E77B832CE928.jpeg
light colored wrapper that has some heft to it for a smaller guy. This thing feels tightly wrapped when given a squeezy squeeze. Dry draw has some hay and is tight. Bet this is a Cuban. Let’s go!

1st 3rd - if this isn’t a Cuban, I’m getting 3 boxes cause this straight up tastes like mark cuban. Hay, little earth, minimal nuts, very good all around. Medium strength with light flavors right now. Smoke smells amazing.
3BCB2E28-2E51-483E-B8DF-B7040B4F97A4.jpeg
2nd 3rd - staying at a medium. Flavors gathering strength and staying with the light hay, more earth, and adding a light cream to the mix. Definitely a CC. I’m thinking a RYJ? Doesn’t really have that partagas flavor. If it’s a cohiba, prob not getting a box. Gotta make house payment first. FBA98914-E347-4AB5-9506-8374CDC05360.jpeg
3rd 3rd - yup. It’s a Cuban. 2-4 year on it I think. Same flavor profile throughout while keeping the hay going. Final answer is gonna be RyJ or a Monte maybe? Keeping its medium strength and finishing strong. Let’s go with the envelope. Let’s go Carnac!
CBDEBA39-623A-41BE-B2AB-C3A69EFD594F.jpeg
Quintero tubulares. Have never had these before but I’m ordering a box. Period. Great smoke for when you need a little more time than a PLPC. Love it for their prices too. Thanks chad!

see you guys for when I drop no. 2💩

Time to necrothump (that’s where you insert your thumb AND pointer/middle finger through the anus and ‘thump’ the prostate. You’re welcome) the blind cigar reviews thread with a nice selection sent over by none other than @CBoukal.

let’s start out with cigar numero uno. View attachment 49226
light colored wrapper that has some heft to it for a smaller guy. This thing feels tightly wrapped when given a squeezy squeeze. Dry draw has some hay and is tight. Bet this is a Cuban. Let’s go!

1st 3rd - if this isn’t a Cuban, I’m getting 3 boxes cause this straight up tastes like mark cuban. Hay, little earth, minimal nuts, very good all around. Medium strength with light flavors right now. Smoke smells amazing.
View attachment 49227
2nd 3rd - staying at a medium. Flavors gathering strength and staying with the light hay, more earth, and adding a light cream to the mix. Definitely a CC. I’m thinking a RYJ? Doesn’t really have that partagas flavor. If it’s a cohiba, prob not getting a box. Gotta make house payment first. View attachment 49228
3rd 3rd - yup. It’s a Cuban. 2-4 year on it I think. Same flavor profile throughout while keeping the hay going. Final answer is gonna be RyJ or a Monte maybe? Keeping its medium strength and finishing strong. Let’s go with the envelope. Let’s go Carnac!
View attachment 49229
Quintero tubulares. Have never had these before but I’m ordering a box. Period. Great smoke for when you need a little more time than a PLPC. Love it for their prices too. Thanks chad!

Great review. Glad you enjoyed it. I love those sticks, they are the perfect choice for blind reviews IMO. They are cheap!!! SO when I smoke them I never expect much. So if you can smoke it without knowing that I think you enjoy it more.

Last edited:
Similar to what I get out of the Brevas. They class these as an half hour smoke...took me half hour+ to get halfway! Also found they can't be left for long before needing a relight. Couple minor touch ups, but overall solid.

Those are kind of hit and miss for me -- but, when they are good, they are good.

let’s start out with cigar numero uno. View attachment 49226

View attachment 49227
2nd 3rd - staying at a medium. Flavors gathering strength and staying with the light hay, more earth, and adding a light cream to the mix. Definitely a CC. I’m thinking a RYJ? Doesn’t really have that partagas flavor. If it’s a cohiba, prob not getting a box. Gotta make house payment first. View attachment 49228
View attachment 49229

One of the best reviews I have ever read. I wish I could leave more than one emoji because I laughed and cried then contemplated life choices.

Last edited:
Alright kids, I’m looking at you Hayden, time for our next blind review from our dear friend @CBoukal. Let’s look at numero five.

sorry, don’t have a ton of pictures. Was on the vherf and the guys needed me to talk a lot so it distracted from the pics, but I got some notes.

#5 review

Darker medium color, whatever the fuck that means, but take it as you will. Smells of tobacco, go figure, some light hay.

size - smaller cigar
Shape - cigar shaped with a short cone head

DB5B2C0E-D2F5-4604-8F2E-25B497CDD7D2.jpeg
1st 3rd (yeah, makes your brain yell a little, I know) - mild to medium strength on this one starting out. LOTS of cream. Like a good ole boukalke party. Maybe some nuts (heh). Smoking like a Cuban out the gate with a few years on it (3-5, but it’s an early guess). Some light sweetness. Got a little tingle on the tongue. Not tinkle though, that’s a different kinda party all together. anyway..

193D3550-C334-4B9E-839E-6BD8ED9EFE4D.jpeg
2nd third (yup) - getting some light fruity notes (hehe). Very pleasant. Pulling up to a medium strength now. Cream is still there. Cream is overpowering, hits ya in the face, kinda like, well...you know..those parties. Still thinking it’s a Cuban, the fruity notes threw me off of a Cuban trail but only slight. Excellent fucking cigar so far.
C6CDFAAF-AB9B-4CC5-A2DF-52387B7F0B9D.jpeg
Third third (mmhmm) - deep flavors coming out now. Full strength with a lot of tobacco, cream, nuts. Can’t feel my tongue with all the tingling. Great flavors out of this last third. Wow. Forgot my poker but I still let it burn my fingers. Worth it.

guess. Cuban. No idea what though. Like none. The full strength and fruity flavors are throwing me off. RyJ? I dunno. Still think it’s got 3-5 years on it. Let’s see the scribble scrabble..

BA139394-0F38-4A69-8DEC-75B6FF5DA97F.jpeg
Well fuck me, he got me on this one. Damn this thing was good. Thanks for this brother. I wasn’t close but enjoyed the hell out of it.

I needed a smoke after reading that review, so many innuendos I needed to go outdo.

Great review B!