• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Ha! Yea I def got the earth taste. Hint of coffee now that you mention it. But quickly followed by the peppery maybe that distracted me from the coffee part. All I'm all not to bad. I would try it again.

First off, I wanted to thank Jeff for providing me with the cigar for this Blind Review in addition to the other fine sticks that he sent me.  Many thanks.  I have yet to smoke them all, but I'm sure I'll get around to it if this frigid weather ever breaks.

Second...I apologize for the lack of pictures while actually smoking this cigar; I am actually disappointed since I actually remember how to insert them after instruction from TP.  I smoked the cigar on New Year's Eve, nubbed it about 8 minutes before the new year; unfortunately the environment I was in was not conducive to taking pics.  It was so freaking cold that night I had to smoke with my gloves on.  Not only did I feel my nipples invert, i think my testicles did as well.  By the time I finished this cigar, I couldn't feel my face anymore.  What's even more amazing is that it is colder today (1/7/14) than it was then.  Crazy...

gallery_9513_1353_36344.jpg

Okay...back to the cigar.  As you can see from the picture above, the cigar Jeff sent me was a pyramid/belicoso.  Upon visual inspection the cigar looked smaller than a typical pyramid, but larger than the typical belicoso.  That was the first thing to throw me off.  I thought about taking a tape measure to the cigar, but decided against it - more out of sheer laziness than anything else.  

<Pretend you see a picture of the Blind Review cigar being lit.>

I take a whiff of the cigar from the foot.  It has a very Cubanesque smell to it.  I'm thinking...okay, this might be Cuban.  If so, I was thinking could this be a custom roll, it's just too long for a belicoso and too narrow for a pyramid.  It definitely does not have the peppery scent I get from Nicaraguan cigars or the earthiness I detect on Honduran smokes.  Maybe it's Dominican.  Oh well...with not a clue as to what the cigar may be at this point, I snip the tip and toast the foot.  

The initial puffs are very woody, with a slight bit of pepper at the end.  Very minute.  The draw is good and the wrapper on my lips tastes like...well...it tastes like tobacco.  What is quickly discernible though is a sweetness that begins to permeate the profile of this cigar.  You can taste it on your tongue and even smell a little bit of it in the smoke.  The smoke production is moderate.  Surrounded by darkness with a bit of dim light in the distance, it appears that the smoke production of the cigar is fairly moderate.  Hard to discern given how cold it is and seeing my breath in the air.  Nothing much to speak of.  I would say the smoke produced was by my best guess white.  The aroma of the cigar was a bit difficult to discern as there were others smoking around me and the cold was making my nose run.  

<Pretend you see an picture of the Blind Review cigar w/the ash hanging on after the 1/3>

The second third of the cigar brings about some changes.  The burn is perfect the ash is long, but is a lighter shade of gray speckled with white.  It does not look like the dark ash I get from Cuban smokes.  The profile has changed somewhat.  The pepper has vanished, the cigar is light/medium in both body and strength.  I know that the darkness of a cigar wrapper is not necessarily indicative of it's strength, but hey...we all have our biases...am I right?  While the cigar was far from being a maduro, it was still darker in color and I had anticipated that it would be stronger.  I still get the woodiness, but the flavor that stands out the most is the sweetness.  At this point I'm thinking that maybe it's a Mexican San Andres wrapper on a Dominican cigar.  An Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso?  Nah...it couldn't be...those are box pressed and shorter.  The cigar is really stumping me.  I know it's not Cuban...it's missing that, for lack of a better word, twang that I get.  It does not have the spice of Nicaraguan blends or the earthiness of Honduran blends.  It's gotta be Dominican, but what?  

<Pretend you see a picture of the Blind Review cigar w/a long ash being held up between a beautiful woman's bare DD breasts.>

Into the final third the long ash falls to the ground of it's own accord.  Ash looks good with a small cone, burn remains excellent.  The cigar is a solid medium now.  The sweetness still dominates and the wood notes persist.  There is a little harshness buidling, nothing unusual for the final third.  I am tasting some earthiness now, but it could just be that the cigar is getting harsher.  I would not say this is a complex cigar by any means, but it certainly is an enjoyable one, especially if you like some sweetness in the profile of your cigar.  I just happen to be such a person.  

<You can pretend to picture anything you want here, I'm still picturing the previous image.>

After I nubbed this baby I still could not figure out what the hell it was.  While I'm no expert, I've smoked quite a variety of cigars.  But I had to admit that I was stumped.  I couldn't come up with anything.  The profile was telling me Dominican, but the size was throwing me off, and quite honestly, I know I had never smoked a un-infused cigar with such a dominant sweetness, and from the aroma at cold, I knew this was not an infused cigar.  Hanging my head in defeat I opened up the envelope in my pocket.

Drum roll please...

gallery_9513_1353_101737.jpg

The cigar Jeff sent me was a Cumbres de Puriscal Gold Torpedo.  Would you believe it's a Costa Rican puro?  I have to say, that's a first for me.  You can find the specifics on the cigar here:  

http://www.costaricacigarstore.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=392&idcategory=24

Thanks for the fine cigar Jeff, and the new experience.  Hope you enjoyed the review.

Awesome review! Even with out pictures that was great. Glad you liked it. And I figured that may stump even the best of the seasoned pros around here. Again great review.

It's nice to see a review on a cigar you have never heard of and from a country that don't have a well known quantity of puros brands

thefatguy said:
Wonderful job Dave. I don't read a lot of reviews, but I liked this one.

Yeah...that was a good one Dave. Made me laugh alot. Don;t get those enough. Nice Job.

Since the crash it looks like my review may be gone. Sorry guys I also threw out my notes and everything so if it can't be recovered then I may not be able to reproduce it.

Paul

My review is also missing.  I do not have the notes nor the pics, but can repeat that I was fooled and it made me smile.

Letting everyone know my blind gift pack has arrived.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11355]

I already lit this bad boy up. 7:45am. Review hopefully around lunch time, depending on my work load today.

Ok this will be my 2nd time participating in a Blind Review Pass. So here it goes.....

Ok I got this package in the mail today.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11355]

First off THANK YOU for the awesome selection of smokes CMontoya79. Very nice.

Ok so now it was time to actually look over this unwrapped stick.... At first glance I actually have a couple of guess's. To me it looked to be a Robusto which should be 5 x 50. So I decided to confirm that with a tape measure. Sure enough it is 5 inch long. So at this point im going to keep my guess to my self, but I will say the nicely wrapped, almost flawless construction kept pushing me further and further to believe my guess could be right.... aw hell let me get it out there. My first prelight guess is going to be something in the Olivia Line. I guess this because I have had a few of these before and really enjoyed them. But who knows... so lets continue.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11356]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11357]

First thought at the first sign of ignition was wow this is a nice smelling cigar, very pleasant. Smooth and creamy through the first 3rd of the smoke. Hint of leather, just a bit and I mean just a bit of spice on the back end, nothing major. The stick burned almost perfect to the end of the 1st 3rd of this stick. The smoke production was very nice, thick and again creamy feeling, looking, and smelling. Again I am still amazed at the aromatics of this stick. So I start to rethink my pre light guess of Olivia because I do not remember the previous Olivias having this quality. So now what the hell could this thing be???? Im starting to think maybe he went to the cigar shop and specifically picked up some sort of mild flavored stick for me, just knowing I am a flavor kinda guy. Hmmmmm

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11358]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11359]

Now in the middle of the 2nd 3rd of this stick, I start to get a bit of coffee in this.... curve ball...... what the hell. Still extremely creamy, smooth, with a effortless draw. I do notice that it is picking up a little more spicy or pepper taste on the back end. Something drew estates???? NO cant be.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11361]

Almost to the NUB point now.... Man this cigar is very nice. What ever the hell it turns out to be mark my words I will be going out to purchase more of them for sure. Everything I have tasted and smelled up to this point continues to hold strong, bit of leather, slightly sweet, with a hint of coffee, kicked in the end with a bit of pepper. Im at a loss here I have no idea.......

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11362]

I can not even guess on this, but If I had to narrow down 1 last guess.... Id only have to go with......................damnit has to be something from Drew Estates. Has to be..

Drum Roll Please....................................................

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11363]

GOD DAMNIT SON OF A BITCH! Always stick with your 1st instinct. GOD DAMNIT!!! lol

Did you infuse this with something sweet for me? Or is this what this bad boy really is? I completely 100% enjoyed this stick to the very end. I add this to my top 5 list.

Olivia Series O Robusto.

I actually had a great time smoking this trying to guess this one, the guys at work also enjoyed listening to me guess and think out loud. 

Again many thanks CMontoya79 for the great selection, and the chance to try this Blind.

This is unadulterated or doctored at all. I highly recommend the robusto and torpedo, oliva serie O habano one of my faves, glad you enjoyed it. In my opinion, one great cigar to smoke anytime. Great guess!

C

Well done, gents.  The Oliva Serie O is not only a great smoke, but at roughly $6 it's also a great bargain.  Like a lot of great lines, it gets overshadowed by the stronger, newer line (Serie V).

mjolnir01 said:
Well done, gents.  The Oliva Serie O is not only a great smoke, but at roughly $6 it's also a great bargain.  Like a lot of great lines, it gets overshadowed by the stronger, newer line (Serie V).
Ya very affordable. I couldn't believe how cheap they were when I went to the smoke shop to gather my own stock of these.