• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

mjolnir01 said:
Well done, gents.  The Oliva Serie O is not only a great smoke, but at roughly $6 it's also a great bargain.  Like a lot of great lines, it gets overshadowed by the stronger, newer line (Serie V).
Throwing in another thumbs up for the Serie O. 

tsmckenney said:

Well done, gents.  The Oliva Serie O is not only a great smoke, but at roughly $6 it's also a great bargain.  Like a lot of great lines, it gets overshadowed by the stronger, newer line (Serie V).
Throwing in another thumbs up for the Serie O. 

The discussion prompted me to light one this evening... I'm nubbing it as I type.  Not the most complex smoke out there, but for the $, it's great.  And I'm getting a nic kick from it to boot.

Pre light, solid smoke full but light, dark wrapper, nice triple cap. Scent of cedar/earth and same flavor at cold draw. 1st puffs bitter wood, dark coffee/earth floors with a spice, like black pepper. Spice turns to red pepper halfway between 1st third. A tannic flavor joins the mix. Has long finish. Spice and tannic flavor dominate with some cedar in the mix.

Right now guessing its Nicaraguan. Pepin or tatuaje.
Beginning -2nd third.
Roasted coffee leather wood n spice there. Spice tones down. A faint vanilla like note shows up, mostly tannic and roasted coffee with wood. Spice is more like red hots candy.

Still think Nicaragua.
Vanilla still peaks out here and there. Nice. smoke is like sweet wood. Not much changes. An amaretto and wood like finish at the end. Good solid smoke. Med/full in strength with strong flavors. Long finish.

No idea. Let's see.

Alec Bradley Black Market!

Wouldn't have guessed it!

Nice solid smoke. Would recommend!

Reminded me of the my father Le bijou 1922 Le corona gorda. Less cedar more spice that changed nicely!

Would definitely smoke more.

Thanks Modo22!

Glad you enjoyed it! I like this smoke, very consistent and great flavor for the price.  I do not get as much spice as you did, but I get more of the vanilla sweet wood flavor all through out.  Great review and glad it threw you for a loop. 

Maybe cuz I was smoking it at a pretty good pace, I tend to be a fast smoker. Also it was still cold out but was 34-38 degrees out which beats the hell out if 2 days we had at -11 to -18 with windchill at -28 to -35!!!

[SIZE=9pt]Nice size smoke with a light wrapper.  Well-constructed, nice and strong cap as ai punch it.  Looking forward to this.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]first off let me say that I usually do not get a whole done on the first draw while lighting a cigar, but wow, this is neat as I get some sweetness right away.  I did not take a draw pre light and wish I would have to see if that was there. The draw is perfect!  Not to open, but is it not tight by any means, I like this.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Only a few minutes in and I am still getting a wonderful creamy butter sweetness.  I am really enjoying the smoothness.  As I roll the stick while I take draws, the wrapper is very oily and soft. I am not too far along but I seem to recognize the flavor profile here.  I feel like I have had it before….not because I smoke it a lot, but because it is so different from what I normally do smoke, pepper, spice, heavy earth tones….[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]A third of the way through the cigar has lost some of the heavy butternees, but is still sweet enough.  I am starting to get more tobacco that before as the flavor is starting to change I believe. I am approaching the ½ way point and am noticing some floral notes maybe.  Still a nice sweet tobacco profile.  But, I know I keep mentioning sweet…This is not like a sweet acid in any means, but it is so very different from what I usually smoke that is is noticeable to me.  But very enjoyable. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Halfway through and flavor has just remained consistent.  Not very complex, but very enjoyable.  As I got to the final third the butter has subsided and now I am just enjoying the tobacco with the slight linger of sweet.  At this point I have no guess. But it was very nice to enjoy this on a 65 degree day, a day off, a Saturday off!  I do not get many of those.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Smooth an consistent through and through till the end, sweet, light shaded wrapper, sweet, buttery, perfect burn the whole way through, great draw…Ill take a stab and say this is an opus or Funete or some sort.  Or a CC I have not had.  Something I would smoke again for sure.  Almost time to look after I nub the shit out of this!  well the wait is over, I can not stand this, I must know.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Are you F-ing kidding me??  I was at an Alce Bradly event recently this December at my local B&M and got suckered into buying a box of these.  I had no idea that there was only 10 in a box and after how much I spent I was pissed.  I had not smoked one yet, so I had no idea.  I am very happy now that I bought them!!  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Alec Bradly Fine and Rare from 2012!  I hope the ones I bought are this good!!  Thank you for this, it makes me feel a lot better of the money I spent and am glad I first smoked it in this fashion.[/SIZE]

Admiring the cigar in hand, has very light tooth and some familiar stitched-like veins visible baby fuzz in the gorgeous Colorado shade wrapper. A triple cap is present with one main vein running the length of the cigar. There is a mild box press to the stick with a slight give when squeezed and a overall great firmness.

The cold draw notes are of cinnamon spice, leather, and a lighter sweetness that envelops my palate.

photo-2_zps8c0af92f.jpg

First draws are of white pepper and spice, very smooth even body, deliciously creamy smoke. The smoke production is great, the draw right where it should be, no burn issues in sight. This Robusto sized smoke tells me early on that it will crescendo later and just to sit back and relax.

photo-3_zpsa768a00d.jpg

Second third, strength picking up, smoke much bolder, just a lingering bitterness that was not unpleasant appeared for several minutes and was eliminated after a few. The lighter sweetness gave way to strong dark honey notes, just great at this point, the smoke swirling above my head with every exhale and the cigar keeping excellent ash.

photo-4_zpsb23917a6.jpg

Peanut buttery spice and bitter chocolate notes, honey sweetness with delicate woodiness have culminated at this point. The honey and black coffee notes are now at the tip of my tongue, and my lips are salty to the taste.

photo-5_zpsbff797ac.jpg

I was guessing Cuban from the get go, from the triple cap and the wrapper that I've seen before.

The notes it was giving off were very reminiscent of the RASS, so as this was my first guess I was sticking with it.

photo-6_zps6e764cc8.jpg

I WAS RIGHT!

Thank you modo22 so much for the chance to review such a great smoke, you're a class act!

Jimmy

Great bunch of reviews with well thought out, honest opinions...and the selections on the mystery sticks is very original. Who da' thunk an Alec Bradley? Isy has told me on more than one occasion that they have been putting out some nice cigars over the last year or so. Thinking outside the 'hyped cigar brands' box is very refreshing, it shows a sense of adventure by exploring new brands and blends and then sharing your thoughts on what you've found. 

I have to tell you, I love the energy of you younger guys and how you all have embraced cigar smoking. I so enjoy reading your impressions of what you smoke and how each of you describe those thoughts. Whether you know it or not, every one of you are developing a style of writing and an evolving review technique...which is so cool to witness. You've all taught me so much over the last few years and for that I thank you.

You don't see a lot of cigar smokers out there...and for the most part, never did...and it is a certain type of person that does smoke them. Not just the half stick posers on the golf course on weekends or the occasional smoker at a BBQ, but in the back yards of their homes, in your cars, and in B&Ms...12 months a year, year in and year out.

I pray to God you all keep this up for many, many years to come because it enriches our lives in may ways. Think about it, how may assholes have you met that smoke cigars on a consistent basis? :laugh: It transcends age, race, and nationality,  For me, cigar smoking has always turned my down time into a special occasion, even when I'm alone. 

Keep up the great work guys!  :thumbs:

PS: ...and let's not even get into what drinking does for our sex social lives!!

Jimmy nice review brother. RASS is a staple in my humi and I really do enjoy anything RA. 

Gary very well said and I couldn't agree with you more. 

Nice review Jimmy!

Gary, this is exactly how I feel "For me, cigar smoking has always turned my down time into a special occasion, even when I'm alone."

Jimmy!  Nice guess my friend.  That was great, one of my favorite all time CCs and one I must always have.  Thanks for confirming I have a good batch, even with their youth, now its my turn! 

Gary, kind words and true wisdom shown. 

Great review Jimmy... RASSelicious even...

Ben, I have a box, MUR Jul 13 that I had planned on leaving down for a bit longer.  Jimmy mentioned some saltiness, but is it more twang or youth?  Would you guys say they're ready to go now?

mjolnir01 said:
Great review Jimmy... RASSelicious even...

Ben, I have a box, MUR Jul 13 that I had planned on leaving down for a bit longer.  Jimmy mentioned some saltiness, but is it more twang or youth?  Would you guys say they're ready to go now?
PM sent