• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Reviews

Very nice, Casa.

The story and the pictures worked well together. BTW, are you a chili-head? I love the hot stuff!

Wilkey

Very nice, Casa.

The story and the pictures worked well together. BTW, are you a chili-head? I love the hot stuff!

Wilkey

I would put myself in the chili-head category. Those two were a couple of stragglers that had gone through a couple of frosts in the garden. Rather than waste them I had to find some way to put them to use. Turns out they work well as a cigar holder.

Very nice review, Casa. :thumbs: I know what you mean about reading too much into a non-banded, mystery cigar. It's difficult to stay objective when you see what you think are clues and then begin to read more into the cigar than what is actually there.

The best advice I can give to anyone who does a mystery review is this: "just stick to the facts" and don't try to guess what you're smoking. Take notes as you go and just report what you taste. IMO, it just makes the experience so much more rewarding.

The best advice I can give to anyone who does a mystery review is this: "just stick to the facts" and don't try to guess what you're smoking. Take notes as you go and just report what you taste. IMO, it just makes the experience so much more rewarding.

Now where's the fun in that? :D

Now where's the fun in that? :D

You make a good point... it might be less fun. But if the idea is to provide an honest review of what you're smoking, I think you need to approach it in this manner. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish: a) guess the stick, or b) give it an honest review. Both are enjoyable experiences, IMO. :)

Great point, Steve and nice rejoinder, Tigger. Either way, this PIF concept is going to be a blast. It's been a lot of fun so far. :thumbs:

I think if the smoker proceeds on the premise that he will be open and observant, then associations with specific cigars may naturally present themselves. I tend to agree with Steve that at the heart of it, these reviews will be maximally enjoyable if the primary purpose is not identification but enjoyment.

Wilkey

Very nice, Casa.

Wilkey

...as in willing to sign a waiver of liability in order to purchase a custom run of hot sauce?

Blind Cigar Review #4

I received this mystery cigar yesterday from Casasoho I hope with my limited cigar knowledge I can give a good review.

First impressions
Length: Just a tad over 6 inches
Ring: I would have to say 50-52
Wrapper: Was a light chocolate brown with a light scheen
Smell: Aroma was a sweet earthy smell with a little musk I have smelt this smell in a few cigars before.
Construction (Shape): Torpedo
HPIM0615.jpg

The cut was done twice because I really never know how much to cut off a cigar of this shape.
The pre-light draw was good and loose almost a little too loose.
The lighting of the cigar was fine after a brief toasting of the foot the cigar accepted the flame wonderfully releasing a plum of Blue/Gray smoke.
HPIM0616.jpg

The first tasting this cigar offered was of pepper light pepper but still it was pepper a very pleasant taste and I set back with my drink to enjoy a cigar I thought was going to be GREAT.
The draw on this cigar was a little loose and I was not getting the volume of smoke I thought this cigar could produce that or the smoke was lacking the flavor I thought it should have. It still had the faint hint of pepper but it has not released it's full potential I can taste that it is their buy little hints every now and then.

HPIM0619.jpg

A little over half way through this cigar it starts to pick up a bit and the pepper is a little more evident along with a nice woody taste still a mild taste but I can tell this cigar is going to give me more.

HPIM0624.jpg

This cigar is teasing me never giving me any real pronounced flavors just hints of pepper, And little woody flavor.

The burn on this cigar is fine a little uneven at times but seems to correct itself.

HPIM0638.jpg

The finish of this cigar is at hand not an unpleasant cigar by any means but not what I expected either when I first started it.

HPIM0647.jpg

If I had to guess the origin of this cigar I would say it is a mild to medium cigar made in the Domminican Republic.

Overall rating I would give this cigar is a 7 out of 10 I think with some age this can possibly be a great smoke.

So lets see what this is.

OMG

Montecristo Habana (#2)

edit: to get pictures.

Nice review Jeff.

So that's what a Monty #2 is all about. I think I'll take it off my wish list now. :)

There is nothing, reviews are only there to share one's experience with a cigar. Smoking one yourself is the only way to judge a cigar.

Look at it this way...

The reviewer:

1) Could have sinus problems / allergies

2) Ate a certain food or drank a certain drink that affected how the cigar tasted

3) Burned out his taste-buds by smoking 4 cigars before the one he reviewed

4) Didn't cut enough off the tip of the Torpedo, this makes the cigar somewhat bitter and gives it a harder draw

you see what I mean?

BTW The Monte #2 is good cigar, well worth getting at least one to try.

*edit* spell check

Nice review Jeff.

So that's what a Monty #2 is all about. I think I'll take it off my wish list now. :)

Never judge a cigar by another mans review.

Before I smoke one what else is there? ;)

Actually, there is a way to gather useful information from other people's reviews. Much like in the process of movie, music, or wine reviewing, you want to find people who seem to experience these things in a way that is similar or understandable to you. Initially it may mean reading a lot, trying a lot, but over time, you may well encounter aa case where you go "hey, most times I smoke what this guy smokes, we pretty much pick out similar flavors, come to the same conclusions about strength and body, etc."

One thing that helps this is to look for reviews that give sufficient details (but does not overwhelm you with) meaningful context to help you gauge the validity of his taste test.

Wilkey

Nicely done Jeff.

I seldom write off a cigar on the basis of one try. Every once in awhile one that's subpar will sneak through. And as you mentioned, age can make a big difference.

I concur with Wilkey's thoughts about reviews. I think he put it as well as it could be put.

I seldom write off a cigar on the basis of one try. Every once in awhile one that's subpar will sneak through. And as you mentioned, age can make a big difference.

I agree with all of you.

And for the record I didn't "write this one off". If I ever get one I'll defiantly smoke it. Based on this review and others I've read I feel my wants are better placed else ware for now.

I would also like to try this cigar again. I think maybe that maybe I got a bad one not that it was bad I just thought this cigar could be better, The flavors came and went and were not very pronounced. Just a feeling I have like it was ready but just was not. Hell I don't know what I'm talking about it was still a good smoke but reading some of the reviews on it I think I should of gotten a little more.