• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Boat Restoration

Set-In-Stone

The Dude Abides
So here's the story....My brother meets this guy a while back who just so happens to be selling his house at the time.
He was an older gentleman, yadda yadda and so on and so on....(fast forward) BooM! A day's labor for a Deep V Aluminum Boat w trailer. Make no mistake, the last inspection on the boat read '93 so it sat for a looong time. Tires on the trailer were dry-rot and junk. We had to make two trip: one for the boat, then one for the trailer.

funny side convo with my brother (who is not really an "outdoorsman" type) at the gentleman's house:

Bro: "I don't know man, it sat for a long time with no cover."
Me: "Yeaaah?"

Bro: "What if we do this work for a boat that won't float?"
Me: "Really? It's got a ton of water in it..."

Bro: "Thats what Im saying, they didn't take care of it."
Me: "Dude, water in the boat...... no leaks"

Bro: " Hahahahaha WOW!"

Below are the pics of the boat and trailer in it's original condition:
gallery_13416_1487_27543.jpg
gallery_13416_1487_27279.jpg

After checking out a bunch of ideas online and reading in various "boat forums", I decided to remove the old seats
and replace just the rear two rows with a piece of mahogany board and leave the space below the seats open. Then
I also plan on putting down a small "floor" made from some bracing/plywood/marine carpet to run from the back up 3/4 to the front. Where the "3rd" seat was towards the front, will be the start of a "deck-like" flat area for the dog as well as doubling as a storage haul area for life jackets/tools/anchor....

1st: I removed all hardware from the boat including all the seating:
gallery_13416_1487_47572.jpg

2nd: I then flipped it over and put it up on saw horses to get ready for the blasting process. I plan on doing a new paint job, with the "belly" being original and polished aluminum - like a sweet looking Airstream. I used a "baking-soda blaster" that I have which has a very fine medium. I did a test area and it seemed to work just fine. Time consuming yes, but I use what I have access to at the time. It certainly did the trick:
gallery_13416_1487_50914.jpg

3rd: After I blasted the one side, I couldn't wait to finish the whole thing before I started the polishing process.
I used buffing attachments for a drill, A LOT of rags that I had to wash a few times and re-use, and MOTHER'S metal polish. Below is a picture of a quick hit. I plan on doing it over, and over, and over again until I get that "mirror" look.
Below is just a small section that I worked on:
gallery_13416_1487_3565.jpg

I will keep you guys posted as more "actual progress" shows... Please feel free to chime in with tips, or ideas for this restoration process. Can't say that I will be able to use them all, but I love the knowledge/info. so, again, feel free. Hope I didn't bore you too much, just always wanted a nice row/fishing boat and thought I'd share my experience with the restoration. I hear those fish mocking me, I need to get out on that water soon!

Looks like it will be a lot of work, but I'm sure the results will be well worth it.

Keep us updated on your progress. Nice project.

Looks like it is going to be worth the effort. Nice score for a bit of labour.

I love these little boats, I ran the crap out of them as a kid. I baciclly did the same project a few years back so the grand kids could have somthing to mess around with.

very nice work, this will be a fun thread to follow

Well, I had some time this weekend to do a little more work on the boat. It is coming together nicely, and I am ready to start the work on the seats and deck. Once I have finished the inside...I will then give the sides a wet sanding, and the belly a couple final passes with the polish. When the outside is pristine, it's getting 2 passes of clear coat to keep that luster...

Here are some of the progress pics. I used Rustoleum Camo Kaki for the interior and Moss Green on the outside...

gallery_13416_1483_24330.jpg
gallery_13416_1483_103756.jpg

gallery_13416_1483_66979.jpg

Very impressive guys...this is going to be one sweet boat when you are done. I love what you've done with the inside so far, the color is perfect!...and once you get those mahogany seats in there, stained & coated with a few layers of Marine varnish, that will be the finishing touch for sure!

I can just picture that maiden voyage out on the water on a beautiful sunny day...cigars in hand...beers in the other hand...fish jumping all around you in admiration of it's shiny, polished bottom...

WAIT...who's rowing & steering this thing?

What an awesome job! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Damn Aut! I go a way for a week and you finally take a break from chain smoking Opus X lost Citys with your dad and get some serious progress made! Looks great!