• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Boat Restoration

That is a super cool project Austen, nothing better for the soul than bringing something back to life. Where are you doing all the work, it looks like a nice place to hang when you take a break.

I had to take some time away from my "toys/projects"....I have had a lot of side-jobs going on as well as out-of-towners that took up most of my "free" time. Seeing you all post with inquiry about the process has lit a much needed fire under my a** and I did some staining and varnishing of the seat boards. I thought I'd give a little update, I will post more pics up next week if I get the time to bolt everything into place this weekend.

I bought some rough cut, hard oak - purchased some black walnut stain, and some varnish. The sides of the seats needed to be shaved down to easily slide into the housing brackets. After they were all sanded (and fitted for hole markings) I stained them and now I am in limbo with the many coats of varnish. The drying time between coats/sanding is killing me! Patience however will pay off. The seats are coming out great.

Here are just a few pics of the seats in progress and the exterior paint scheme. More to follow....

gallery_13416_1483_23877.jpg
gallery_13416_1483_28384.jpg

gallery_13416_1483_19684.jpg

gallery_13416_1483_12583.jpg
gallery_13416_1483_11055.jpg

Damn, that looks great! It's amazing what a little elbow grease and ingenuity will do.

Nice job Austen. You must have been blessed with patience and an eye for detail.

Thanks guys...Your comments are humbling and helps solidify all my efforts so thank you very much.

It has been a process but like many of you have said, it's good for the soul, and I honestly believe that. I also believe my efforts will pay off with the catches on the water. When you pour that much effort into something, it's bound to come back to you two fold.

That is a super cool project Austen, nothing better for the soul than bringing something back to life. Where are you doing all the work, it looks like a nice place to hang when you take a break.

All the work is being done in my back back backyard. I believe what you are seeing is the fire-pit area. Those logs are from 4 huge pines that were growing right next to my house. So when I had the tree company service come, I told the guys to save the bottom 5 ft of every tree so that I could set them around my fire pit. Gives it that real "camp fire", earthy feeling and is nice to share some drinks & smoke stogies around. It is a lot of fun. Thanks