• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Boat Restoration

Set-In-Stone

The Dude Abides
So here's the story....My brother meets this guy a while back who just so happens to be selling his house at the time.
He was an older gentleman, yadda yadda and so on and so on....(fast forward) BooM! A day's labor for a Deep V Aluminum Boat w trailer. Make no mistake, the last inspection on the boat read '93 so it sat for a looong time. Tires on the trailer were dry-rot and junk. We had to make two trip: one for the boat, then one for the trailer.

funny side convo with my brother (who is not really an "outdoorsman" type) at the gentleman's house:

Bro: "I don't know man, it sat for a long time with no cover."
Me: "Yeaaah?"

Bro: "What if we do this work for a boat that won't float?"
Me: "Really? It's got a ton of water in it..."

Bro: "Thats what Im saying, they didn't take care of it."
Me: "Dude, water in the boat...... no leaks"

Bro: " Hahahahaha WOW!"

Below are the pics of the boat and trailer in it's original condition:
gallery_13416_1487_27543.jpg
gallery_13416_1487_27279.jpg

After checking out a bunch of ideas online and reading in various "boat forums", I decided to remove the old seats
and replace just the rear two rows with a piece of mahogany board and leave the space below the seats open. Then
I also plan on putting down a small "floor" made from some bracing/plywood/marine carpet to run from the back up 3/4 to the front. Where the "3rd" seat was towards the front, will be the start of a "deck-like" flat area for the dog as well as doubling as a storage haul area for life jackets/tools/anchor....

1st: I removed all hardware from the boat including all the seating:
gallery_13416_1487_47572.jpg

2nd: I then flipped it over and put it up on saw horses to get ready for the blasting process. I plan on doing a new paint job, with the "belly" being original and polished aluminum - like a sweet looking Airstream. I used a "baking-soda blaster" that I have which has a very fine medium. I did a test area and it seemed to work just fine. Time consuming yes, but I use what I have access to at the time. It certainly did the trick:
gallery_13416_1487_50914.jpg

3rd: After I blasted the one side, I couldn't wait to finish the whole thing before I started the polishing process.
I used buffing attachments for a drill, A LOT of rags that I had to wash a few times and re-use, and MOTHER'S metal polish. Below is a picture of a quick hit. I plan on doing it over, and over, and over again until I get that "mirror" look.
Below is just a small section that I worked on:
gallery_13416_1487_3565.jpg

I will keep you guys posted as more "actual progress" shows... Please feel free to chime in with tips, or ideas for this restoration process. Can't say that I will be able to use them all, but I love the knowledge/info. so, again, feel free. Hope I didn't bore you too much, just always wanted a nice row/fishing boat and thought I'd share my experience with the restoration. I hear those fish mocking me, I need to get out on that water soon!

Looks like it will be a lot of work, but I'm sure the results will be well worth it.

Keep us updated on your progress. Nice project.

I love these little boats, I ran the crap out of them as a kid. I baciclly did the same project a few years back so the grand kids could have somthing to mess around with.

Well, I had some time this weekend to do a little more work on the boat. It is coming together nicely, and I am ready to start the work on the seats and deck. Once I have finished the inside...I will then give the sides a wet sanding, and the belly a couple final passes with the polish. When the outside is pristine, it's getting 2 passes of clear coat to keep that luster...

Here are some of the progress pics. I used Rustoleum Camo Kaki for the interior and Moss Green on the outside...

gallery_13416_1483_24330.jpg
gallery_13416_1483_103756.jpg

gallery_13416_1483_66979.jpg

Very impressive guys...this is going to be one sweet boat when you are done. I love what you've done with the inside so far, the color is perfect!...and once you get those mahogany seats in there, stained & coated with a few layers of Marine varnish, that will be the finishing touch for sure!

I can just picture that maiden voyage out on the water on a beautiful sunny day...cigars in hand...beers in the other hand...fish jumping all around you in admiration of it's shiny, polished bottom...

WAIT...who's rowing & steering this thing?

Damn Aut! I go a way for a week and you finally take a break from chain smoking Opus X lost Citys with your dad and get some serious progress made! Looks great!

Back