• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Coronas

Any update? Waiting on pins and needles ... :whistling:
[snapback]283941[/snapback]​

Ouch, that must hurt. :)

Update this weekend. Saturday I hope. We're still waiting on more test results. But rest assured CSI CP is still on the case. :)

I will be smoking the one you sent me this weekend also.

But just looking at it makes me wonder. How this ever came out of cuba.. :0

My review is locked and loaded. When you guys have done the deed, I'll post it up.

Now excuse me while I go smoke the Siglo VI Fauxhiba Zee sent me. :p

Wilkey

Thanks for the updates. What a cliff hanger! I am looking forward to the ending. :D

ckeller52 said:
headstrong said:
ckeller52,
As promised, here are a couple pics for comparison.  Notice the triple cap and minimal tooth on the wrapper.  I also noticed, to the naked eye, you cannot see the red stripes through the gold coins on the band.  But, with the flash it becomes more visible.  These are obviously from a cab, so I cannot provide pics for comparison to your box.  Oh and to answer the original question, unfortunately, yes.  I believe they are fake.

[snapback]280017[/snapback]​

Headstrong, thanks

Great shots, nice and clear. These are shots of Petite Coronas correct? Anyone know what the size difference is between the Petite Corona and the Corona is?

Thanks again HS.
[snapback]280020[/snapback]​

Ah.... Shit I give up. Learn the hard way!!!

NEWBIES ROCK!!

dcbancroft said:

NEWBIES ROCK!!
[snapback]284212[/snapback]​

So what's the easy way? That would probably have saved ckeller52 a few hundred bucks. It might help the next guy though.

Ginseng said:
dcbancroft said:

NEWBIES ROCK!!
[snapback]284212[/snapback]​

So what's the easy way? That would probably have saved ckeller52 a few hundred bucks. It might help the next guy though.
[snapback]284257[/snapback]​

Buy from an authorized dealer. Do some investigative reporting and you will find out who dcbancroft is affiliated with.

Symyn,

I'm familiar with Damian's business. I was just wondering if he had any other insights that might help the new guys.

Wilkey

Went to Menard's tonight and going down the lighting aisle I see this UV bulb and it dawned on me that I had read that there was a UV mark on the label of any box of ISOM sticks. So I did a side by side picture and the first thing that jumps out it the Bolivar label turns a bright light whitish blue color and the Cohiba label is dark and not affected by the light. Both show the UV mark. But the image has a different color and detail between them.

If counterfeit I'm truly amazed at the detail they go to trying to convince people. I'd have thought it would take a lot less to sell a box of gars.

IMG_64351small.JPG

Here is the link to full size image.

ckeller52 said:
So I did a side by side picture and the first thing that jumps out it the Bolivar label turns a bright light whitish blue color and the Cohiba label is dark and not affected by the light. Both show the UV mark. But the image has a different color and detail between them.
[snapback]284906[/snapback]​

Oh my. Chuck, that is not a good sign.

I've recently come across an account of a box of counterfeit Vegas Robainas that had the same bright white color due to the use of paper with UV brighteners in it. Yes, counterfeiters go lengths you would not believe.

If you bought the Cohibas from the source I think you did, then there is no question as to their authenticity. Thus, I am not surprised at how the warranty seal on that box appeared.

I'm afraid this latest finding coupled with my tasting experience has put the nail in the coffin on this box...and vendor.

Wilkey

BTW, When I was in the coatings business, I often used UV brighteners in my paper and inkjet coatings formulations. These chemicals are easily accessible, easy to use and though very expensive, a little goes a long way. And as for the printing of these things, I think you know of plenty of ways that can be accomplished.

My review of this cigar is now up here.

My experience was identical to that of alexgtp in every significant detail. Sorry to say this Chuck, but there is no longer any doubt that these cigars are counterfeits, and bad ones at that. They do appear to be using authentic bands though, which were most likely stolen from the factory or printer where the genuine Bolivar bands are used or produced.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:

My experience was identical to that of alexgtp in every significant detail. Sorry to say this Chuck, but there is no longer any doubt that these cigars are counterfeits, and bad ones at that. They do appear to be using authentic bands though, which were most likely stolen from the factory or printer where the genuine Bolivar bands are used or produced.

Wilkey
[snapback]285401[/snapback]​

Wilkey

Thanks for all the research, impressive stuff.

The RC that alexgtp sent I didn't particularly care for but the flavor of it was more along the lines of your review of the PC.

Ok, so there fake. So besides the fact I'm out some cash what's the consensus on recourse? Forget about it? Confront the seller? Find someone I really don't like and bomb him with these? :)

ckeller52 said:
Ginseng said:

Wilkey
[snapback]285401[/snapback]​

Wilkey

Thanks for all the research, impressive stuff.

The RC that alexgtp sent I didn't particularly care for but the flavor of it was more along the lines of your review of the PC.

Ok, so there fake. So besides the fact I'm out some cash what's the consensus on recourse? Forget about it? Confront the seller? Find someone I really don't like and bomb him with these? :)
[snapback]285421[/snapback]​

LOL! You can always throw them in a bonfire!

Does this vendor have a gaurantee?
If he does it is worth a shot getting some money refunded. But if he offers to replace them ..I would not take them..LOL!! you dont want more fakes.!

I would present a few key pieces of evidence to the vendor, tell them that with the assistance of those knowledgeable and familiar with Bolivar cigars that you have determined these are counterfeits. Ask for a full refund and for them to pay for the return of evidence. Keep a few extra sticks out though just as a record. If they grouse about the missing sticks, tell them they were taste tested and as fakes, had no value anyway.

You have nothing to lose trying to get your money back. I just looked at the site and they don't appear to have any sort of guarantee.

Wilkey

The scary thing is that they actually have a store front! and they are an authorized habanos s.a. appointed dealer for canada..

I'd personally go right over the storefront's heads and approach habanos s.a directly.

But I like causing trouble when I get ripped off.

Instead I would contact the store and let them know. They might even not be at fault and the fakes got mixed in before they received them.

Sorry to hear about the results but glad we learned something along the way.

I sincerely hope that you get some recourse. Please do keep us posted Chuck.

Chuck, keep us up to date on the reaction of the vendor. I'm very interested on how they handle this.

On a side note, not sure how far from Schaumburg you are, but some of us are meeting at the Fox and Hound on Thursday ar 6:30pm for a little herf. If you can, stop by. That also goes to any other BOTLs in the neighborhood.

Strayvector said:
Chuck, keep us up to date on the reaction of the vendor. I'm very interested on how they handle this.

[snapback]286189[/snapback]​

I finally got back from vacation and am getting caught up with loose ends. I've sent an email sent to vendor with some of the evidence and I'll post his response when I get it.