• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Box Code Advice/Suggestions

ML237

On a prowl ...can't stop...lost my mind...up in sm
Hi Guys,

Need a bit of advice on some ISOM codes. I have obtained a list of certain box codes availabilities of my chosen selections and now I would need some help in selecting the "best" choice. Now I know this is kind of "subjective" query, but all I am looking for some pointers from some experienced BOTL.
Many of these are younger codes that I wouldn't have any previous resources on while some that I am considering (red ones) are what I have had some experience.

Cohiba Robustos 25’s – NJP SEP 04, MKO DIC 04, KIU NOV 04, FIM ABR 05
Partagas Serie D No.4 3x5’s – FJN SEP 05, EAM JUN 05, ZFI JUN 05
Partagas Serie D No.4 25’s – FJN SEP 05, BYL SEP 05, SIH MAY 05, SOL SEP 05, SEP 05 BFI, KBE SEP 05
Trinidad Robusto Extra 12’s – IKR OCT 05, OIK JUL 04, IKR ABR 05
Trindad Reyes 12’s – OIK NOV 04, IKR JUL 05
Trindad Reyes 24’s – IKR SEP 05
El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme 25’s – SXF ABR 05, LKV MAY 05, SXF MAY 05

What do you think?

If inappropriate please do advise and I will delete this.

Thank you

With my limited knowledge of the different factories, I don't usually worry about box codes if they are all within a year old. Anything from '05, I will ask the vendor to pick the box with the best quality and I have yet to be dissappointed. If there are different years available, then I will ask for the box with the oldest code with the stipulation that quality is not sacrificed. The one exemption with this is with Partagas SD4. I love this cigar young, so I usually ask for the youngest box.

There are those who are more experienced and will be able to give you a preference to a particular factory, but I'm still relatively new and have not found much difference from one factory to the next. I've had PSP2s from 3 different factories and PSD4s from 4 different factories and was not able to tell the difference from box to box. Then again, all the cigars from these boxes were from '04 and '05 so maybe they have not aged enough to show any difference. As for the quality, all were top notch.

They're all pretty recent and the factories are supposed to be under better quality control...with that I would say pick one and go with it.

Strayvector said:
With my limited knowledge of the different factories, I don't usually worry about box codes if they are all within a year old. Anything from '05, I will ask the vendor to pick the box with the best quality and I have yet to be dissappointed. If there are different years available, then I will ask for the box with the oldest code with the stipulation that quality is not sacrificed. The one exemption with this is with Partagas SD4. I love this cigar young, so I usually ask for the youngest box.

There are those who are more experienced and will be able to give you a preference to a particular factory, but I'm still relatively new and have not found much difference from one factory to the next. I've had PSP2s from 3 different factories and PSD4s from 4 different factories and was not able to tell the difference from box to box. Then again, all the cigars from these boxes were from '04 and '05 so maybe they have not aged enough to show any difference. As for the quality, all were top notch.
[snapback]291481[/snapback]​

Thanks for your honest opinion Strayvector. I figured that there shouldn't be much difference between the same year, but was unsure about the factories as I really do not know much about the quality of each.

Little that I earned is that in most cases the older the better and a minimum of couple of years to start of with certain noted exceptions.

I have to agree that although I had only couple PSD#4 recently they taste might fine be young or old. :D

I love those Trini Robusto Extra's - the '04's are VERY nice!!!

ML237 said:
Little that I earned is that in most cases the older the better and a minimum of couple of years to start of with certain noted exceptions.

[snapback]291494[/snapback]​
Not always the case. I think 2002 was plauged with tight cigars. Not all brands, not all marques, but there seemed to be a lot more that year. I would PM and ask some of the more knowledgeable FOG's or do a search.

Some of the better cigars I've had came from '98 and '04.

Just my $0.02

-Rob

ggiese said:
I love those Trini Robusto Extra's - the '04's are VERY nice!!!
[snapback]291495[/snapback]​

Yup, George those are my absolute favs, although expensive as a MoFO I think a must have. What about the other in the list? Any preference for '04 Cohiba and younger Reyes/ERdM?

Looks like we might be using the same supplier. I just received my box of Trinidad Reyes (IKR SEP 05) and they look and smell awesome. This'll be my 3rd box of Reyes and IMO, they are the best short stick around.

Strayvector said:
I just received my box of Trinidad Reyes (IKR SEP 05) and they look and smell awesome. This'll be my 3rd box of Reyes and IMO, they are the best short stick around.
[snapback]291607[/snapback]​

You'll get no debate from me on this point. :thumbs:

Wilkey

indyrob said:
ML237 said:

[snapback]291494[/snapback]​
Not always the case. I think 2002 was plauged with tight cigars. Not all brands, not all marques, but there seemed to be a lot more that year. I would PM and ask some of the more knowledgeable FOG's or do a search.

Some of the better cigars I've had came from '98 and '04.

Just my $0.02

-Rob
[snapback]291498[/snapback]​

Actually, the '02s that I have had have all been pretty well constructed. The worst of the quality control issues were from 99 through mid-01. Unless your vendor really has his act together, it is a crap shoot purchasing cigars from this timeframe. That said, some of the most flavorful cigars that I have ever smoked are from this timeframe. Of course, the quality issues impacted some cigar marcas/vitolas more than others.

As for the box codes shown, ask your vendor to pick you a good box. Quality control is pretty good right now and you shouldn't have any problems. Older is not necessarily better...depends on the cigar and your personal tastes. For instance, I don't care at all for fresh bolivars, but I love aged ones. I don't like fresh Cohibas, but aged ones are very nice. I can smoke the Partagas Serie D No. 4 fresh, but prefer it with a few years on it. Likewise, 04 Trini Fundadores are great...98s are fantastic.

It is all about taste and quality of your vendor. Just my 0.02.

Strayvector said:
Looks like we might be using the same supplier. I just received my box of Trinidad Reyes (IKR SEP 05) and they look and smell awesome. This'll be my 3rd box of Reyes and IMO, they are the best short stick around.

You just might be spot on the vendor & as well the Reyes Strayvector. :thumbs: Just had one of them babies last night, dunno the box code, but I know I sure did enjoy it. Thanks again bud.

Ginseng said:

Wilkey
[snapback]291621[/snapback]​

...and you will not hear me argue either :whistling: Thanks to you now I can personally attest to the sweetness that the little Reyes are. :)

cigardawg said:
Actually, the '02s that I have had have all been pretty well constructed. The worst of the quality control issues were from 99 through mid-01. Unless your vendor really has his act together, it is a crap shoot purchasing cigars from this timeframe. That said, some of the most flavorful cigars that I have ever smoked are from this timeframe. Of course, the quality issues impacted some cigar marcas/vitolas more than others.

As for the box codes shown, ask your vendor to pick you a good box. Quality control is pretty good right now and you shouldn't have any problems. Older is not necessarily better...depends on the cigar and your personal tastes. For instance, I don't care at all for fresh bolivars, but I love aged ones. I don't like fresh Cohibas, but aged ones are very nice. I can smoke the Partagas Serie D No. 4 fresh, but prefer it with a few years on it. Likewise, 04 Trini Fundadores are great...98s are fantastic.

It is all about taste and quality of your vendor. Just my 0.02.
[snapback]291675[/snapback]​

The quality control issues (from '99 to mid-01) are what I have learned from reading many posts from some of the more experienced BOTL you included Dawg. Then again in this particular instance that is not the priority as most of the selections that I am considering are made in the time frame after that, but thanks for correcting and refreshing our collective knowledge that never hurts. :thumbs:

I think that after receiving some of your wise advice (and some of your informative PM's) I will let the trusted vendor make the box selection for me this time until I have gained enough actual experience in what I preferring.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. :D

Ginseng said:
Strayvector said:
I just received my box of Trinidad Reyes (IKR SEP 05) and they look and smell awesome. This'll be my 3rd box of Reyes and IMO, they are the best short stick around.

Wilkey
[snapback]291621[/snapback]​

Your right Wilkey, i think they are my fav. for the price (medium price range). First box code was IKR MAR 05, and they rock! :thumbs: ... the latest code is IKR AGO 05. anyone i have given them to enjoy them. This new box should do me for now. Are these rolled in the El Laguito factory? anyone know?

Wilkey,
I smoked that Trini I got from you last night.
Boy, that sucker was delicious.
Tremendous flavor from a tiny stick!
It was a finger burner!
Thanks for hooking me up!
-Rob

*threadjack off* :D

In my experience the 99 and 00 years were the worst construction wise. All of my 01 and later cigars ( except one cab of Punch Ninfas ) have all been fine.

I also agree about those Trini Reyes, they are the bomb.

Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd just bump this old thread up instead of starting another one, who knows, it could become a valued reference for folks who take the time to search.

Any opinions out there regarding the following cigars and factory codes?

Cohiba Siglo II
CUE NOV 04
PMR SEP 05
FJN SEP 05
SXF SEPT 05
JWI SEP 2005

Rafael Gonzales Lonsdales
NRG AGO 05
NRG DIC 05

H.Upmann Connoisseur No.1
SIH AGO 05
SIH SEP 05
OWH JUL 05
FIM JUL 05

Have to agree with Strayvector. With all else being equal I will usually ask the vendor to recommend a box code. Otherwise I just go with the oldest box code except for '99 or '00.

Hi Guys,

Need a bit of advice on some ISOM codes. I have obtained a list of certain box codes availabilities of my chosen selections and now I would need some help in selecting the "best" choice. Now I know this is kind of "subjective" query, but all I am looking for some pointers from some experienced BOTL.
Many of these are younger codes that I wouldn't have any previous resources on while some that I am considering (red ones) are what I have had some experience.

Cohiba Robustos 25’s – NJP SEP 04, MKO DIC 04, KIU NOV 04, FIM ABR 05
Partagas Serie D No.4 3x5’s – FJN SEP 05, EAM JUN 05, ZFI JUN 05
Partagas Serie D No.4 25’s – FJN SEP 05, BYL SEP 05, SIH MAY 05, SOL SEP 05, SEP 05 BFI, KBE SEP 05
Trinidad Robusto Extra 12’s – IKR OCT 05, OIK JUL 04, IKR ABR 05
Trindad Reyes 12’s – OIK NOV 04, IKR JUL 05
Trindad Reyes 24’s – IKR SEP 05
El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme 25’s – SXF ABR 05, LKV MAY 05, SXF MAY 05

What do you think?

If inappropriate please do advise and I will delete this.

Thank you

Where are you getting these box codes from (PM me if necessary, if it'd reveal a source)... just want to make sure they are all valid box codes...

Moki, PM me your email addy and I'll send you an old spreadsheet from the vendor with all the box codes he had in stock.