• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buena Vista Piramide (Torpedo)

whylieineedacigar

Yolalatlpwry
This is my first time ever reviewing a cigar. There is a first time for everything so here we go. Thanks to Jason aka Backslide aka Mr. Avo aka Lover of beers aka good Gentleman for sending me this beautiful cigar on the Newbie Trade.

First thing I noticed about this cigar was how well constructed it was. The wrapper has a beautiful oily brownish color with no blemishes or any other imperfections, it was well packed and spongy to the touch. It also had a nice cocoa smell. My first plan was to frame the cigar and having it on display looking pretty, ran this by Jason and he said definitely NOT, so I went with Plan B which was to smoke the heck out of it.

With much pain and my hands shaking, I picked up my Xikar Xi1 and cut into the cigar. Cold draw was very sweet on the lips and didn’t feel like it had any peppery taste at all, it was bit tight for my liking so I went ahead and made a deeper cut which fixed the issue. Paired this cigar with Buchanan's scotch 12 year

First third: Right away I noticed how creamy and chocolaty this cigar was, felt as if I was eating a big piece of Italian chocolate cake that I buy around my house, almost took out the birthday candles and sang feliz cumpleaños to myself, I knew I was about to really enjoy this cigar right there and there. The strength was on the mild medium side of things and It didn’t give out a lot of smoke but the aroma was gratifying.

Second third: The flavor profile remains almost identical as the first third but now I’m picking up some salty caramel taste here and there which is very pleasant and hope for it develop further. The strength also seems to be picking up a bit and the smoke is getting thicker and chewier.

Final third: More of the same profile as before but the salty caramel taste is more predominant now. The strength remains on the medium side of things and never felt as if it even had a chance to go up to full, I would go as far as to say that this is more of a mild-medium cigar. I also picked up a very mild peppery taste right at the end which I liked a lot because I’m a pepper fan.

Final note: The cigar had a razor sharp burn right up to the very last minute. It definitely impressed me and wondered why the heck these cigars are not being made anymore. If I ever have the pleasure of smoking another one of these, I would do so in the morning time as my first cigar right after breakfast. Thanks again to Backslide for sending me this.

IMG_20140124_211243_zpscggzhtkr.jpg
IMG_20140124_213145_zpswtgbqshp.jpg

IMG_20140124_215445_zpskxxjg6fe.jpg
IMG_20140124_222853_zpsq0stxlia.jpg
IMG_20140124_230836_zpstqnshf9s.jpg

Well done on your first review!!!

Agreed that the construction and presentation Buena Vista have are just awesome.  They smoke pretty damn good too.  I'll have to pay attention for the "salty caramel" next time I have one.

Michael very nice write up on your first review along with some nice pics. 

Great review Mike.  The BV is a really nice light to medium cigar.  Just extremely card to come by since CI sold out of them.

thechenman said:
Great review Mike.  The BV is a really nice light to medium cigar.  Just extremely card to come by since CI sold out of them.

Thanks Dave, I just checked CI and they have some in stock

whylieineedacigar said:

Nice.  Last time I looked they were all sold out.  I know there was some discussion in another thread, but BV may have become a CI brand.  It will be interesting to see in time if CI has changed the blend at all, and the method of rolling that BV employed.  Buena Vista really took pride in the contraction of their cigars.  The quality of the boxes were great too.  I've got a bunch of them all over the house that the kids use to store pencils, crayons and markers in.  

Great review dude, love it. BV went out of business and CI snatched up remaining stock. What you heard was a horrible rumor. Fyi I called ci and asked em about having bv.

thechenman said:

Nice.  Last time I looked they were all sold out.  I know there was some discussion in another thread, but BV may have become a CI brand.  It will be interesting to see in time if CI has changed the blend at all, and the method of rolling that BV employed.  Buena Vista really took pride in the contraction of their cigars.  The quality of the boxes were great too.  I've got a bunch of them all over the house that the kids use to store pencils, crayons and markers in.  

Lets get a box from CI and herf it next time :p

Backslide said:
Great review dude, love it. BV went out of business and CI snatched up remaining stock. What you heard was a horrible rumor. Fyi I called ci and asked em about having bv.
Thanks! Glad you called them... I always thought that not that many people know about these cigars, perhaps one day CI would go mad and do one of those crazy deals where they cut the price in half :thumbs: .. Stop buying them all Jason...

Great review Michael, looks like you have an excellent palate for distinguishing the different nuances in a good cigar...

CigSid said:
Great review Michael, looks like you have an excellent palate for distinguishing the different nuances in a good cigar...
Bill, I'm sure it's not as developed as yours but I do my best to refine it

mjolnir01 said:
Very good for your first review; thanks!
Thanks!

Great review, I'm going to give my BV EL's one more chance thanks to a trick from Jason and this review. :thumbs:

Thanks Jimmy, like Jason told me, which I always do anyways because very rarely I smoke 2 cigars in one day, but smoke it on a clean palate

whylieineedacigar said:
Thanks Jimmy, like Jason told me, which I always do anyways because very rarely I smoke 2 cigars in one day, but smoke it on a clean palate

That's why I like to smoke early in the morning on my drive to work. Clean palate and you can taste everything. MadMonk gave me this advise and I do it everyday on my drive to work. I'm stuck in traffic for an hour + anyway. I do smoke in the evening as well a couple times per week.

Light this! said:

That's why I like to smoke early in the morning on my drive to work. Clean palate and you can taste everything. MadMonk gave me this advise and I do it everyday on my drive to work. I'm stuck in traffic for an hour + anyway. I do smoke in the evening as well a couple times per week.

Wished I could smoke on my way to work but I work like 15 minutes away from home so I wouldn't have time to enjoy anything. I took the day off tomorrow because of the crazy snow so I'm having a cigar for breakfast at home.

Nice review! I bought a fiver of robustos after hearing lots of good things about these and busted one out for myself and a friend the other night, and they were both plugged as hell! We re cut and even had to stab them repeatedly to try to fix the draw and it only got slightly better. Still not good at all. However when I was able to get decent draws these were really nice, reminded me of Cubans. Hopefully the rest of mine aren't like this!

ncast2523 said:
Nice review! I bought a fiver of robustos after hearing lots of good things about these and busted one out for myself and a friend the other night, and they were both plugged as hell! We re cut and even had to stab them repeatedly to try to fix the draw and it only got slightly better. Still not good at all. However when I was able to get decent draws these were really nice, reminded me of Cubans. Hopefully the rest of mine aren't like this!
Sorry to hear that.  Of the ones I have smoked, the construction/draw has always been impeccable.  

I have faith the rest will be okay, I even grabbed a few more. I'm feelin good!