• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buena Vista's On Sale Again

Whatcha been doing?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've tried Backslide's method in the past with limited success. What I have been having success with is using a 6" long, 1/16" drill bit that I hand turn thru the cigar. The 16th inch bit is small enough that it's easy to keep centered and goes though fairly easily. When I pull the bit out I do NOT "unscrew" it, I pull it straight out. I check the draw, which is usually still bad. I then do the same thing with an 8th inch drill bit. You have to use a lot more care with this bit because it is big enough to split the cigar. Slowly work the bit through the length of the cigar making sure to let the bit cut it's way through. Once the bit is all the way through I try to, once again, pull it straight out. If there is a lot of tobacco caught in the bit then the bit will bind up on the straight pull so it is wise to alternate between unscrewing and pulling. As I said originally this method seems to be 75% effective. Each failure has resulted in a blown out wrapper during the pullout.

My thinking on the drill bit method was developed by noticing that the typical "draw poker" tool just pushes through the tobacco/plug then as you pull it out the tobacco falls back into place where it was before starting. The cutting edges of the drill bit actually cut through the plug and leave a hole for air to get though. Also I had a friend turn me some handles on his lathe for my bits.

. Also I had a friend turn me some handles on his lathe for my bits.

Well that pokes holes in my question...
What would happen if you screwed the bit through the length of the stick, then just pulled it straight through after the point breaks out?

Well that pokes holes in my question...
What would happen if you screwed the bit through the length of the stick, then just pulled it straight through after the point breaks out?
Yeah, that would destroy the cigar. Good thought though. I found the bits to hard to turn with my fat fingers without a handle.

Sorry for the delayed reply
Thank you. I have heard of that before. Possibly BBS mentioned it once. I need to get a nice long couple of bits.
I have a poker that I crisscrossed with file cuts that does ok. but I think the drill would remove more. I do moisten the wrapper to help keep it from splitting.

I passed this time, but I did pass along the deal to a friend who smokes stuff like Gurkha's and what not. These are at least better than those, and cheaper.

So is the consensus these are great cigars, or are these great cigars at $2.50 a stick? At what price point would you all still be happy with these? I have a buy them/don't buy them debate raging in my head :)

So is the consensus these are great cigars, or are these great cigars at $2.50 a stick? At what price point would you all still be happy with these? I have a buy them/don't buy them debate raging in my head :)

The consensus is split really. I'd pay at maximum 7 or 8 bucks for a single stick. Here's what they offer:

You can't find a smoke that's been aged 5+ years for $2.50
You can't find too many smokes with this grade of construction for under $8
The taste is solid. Better than Altadis garbage. Worse than Cubans or higher end brands (AF/Padron ect).
If they were 8 bucks a stick, I wouldn't buy a box, or at most would keep one box of 10 on hand for myself when I want a cheaper smoke with great flavor or for friends who don't smoke often.
The boxes alone are worth the price (swiss company who made the boxes actually makes humidors as well and I currently use my empties for dry boxing sticks).

Conclusion? Probably dead center between great for the price and great stick. Perhaps leaning a bit more towards great for the price.

My experience? I've smoked 4 boxes of these in 6 months, but since my recent cc conversion I haven't touched them. Just letting them sit. I might have to dig one out today to see my opinion after months of only smoking CC's.

The consensus is split really. I'd pay at maximum 7 or 8 bucks for a single stick. Here's what they offer:

You can't find a smoke that's been aged 5+ years for $2.50
You can't find too many smokes with this grade of construction for under $8
The taste is solid. Better than Altadis garbage. Worse than Cubans or higher end brands (AF/Padron ect).
If they were 8 bucks a stick, I wouldn't buy a box, or at most would keep one box of 10 on hand for myself when I want a cheaper smoke with great flavor or for friends who don't smoke often.
The boxes alone are worth the price (swiss company who made the boxes actually makes humidors as well and I currently use my empties for dry boxing sticks).

Conclusion? Probably dead center between great for the price and great stick. Perhaps leaning a bit more towards great for the price.

My experience? I've smoked 4 boxes of these in 6 months, but since my recent cc conversion I haven't touched them. Just letting them sit. I might have to dig one out today to see my opinion after months of only smoking CC's.
Now that is a response! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Brian!

Picked up some of the coronas this time.
As did I. I don't have much in my fridgidor of that size, and I have found myself looking for something similar lately. These came along at the right time. I've read this thread, and for that price it's worth the gamble.

I find them to be a great yard gars at $1.30 a stick! I like them okay, but they are not my favorite. At these prices (which are gone now), it was worth the risk.

I got a bunch the first go around, but passed this time.

Never had these before. Just ordered a box of the Coronas. Just reading this it sounds like a good value for the money. If I don't like them I can always give them to my brother who always bums one from me on the golf course.

Great morning cigars or just messing around in the yard. I wouldn't pay more than $5 for these.

I need to find a good yard cigar anyway. I haven't found one I've stuck with longer than a few months since the Padron Fumas went away.

Noticed something interesting on this batch delivered. The outer boxes say reserva, didn't have the edicion limitada sticker/label, and the band on the cigars is not a dual foot/ring band, only a ring, the band also says edicion limitada, not edicion limitada 2008. Wonder if these were a later re-release?