• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buffalo Trace

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
Saw this at the local state liquor store the other day and it rang a small bell so I picked up a bottle. This is the basic Buffalo Trace, not the "Historic Whiskey"
that was mentioned in another post.

About $18/750ml, this came across as not much nose, just a hint of vanilla and burnt sugar. Nice mouth feel, rich and syrupy. More complex there, fruit along with the vanilla, a little smoky, long finish.

Best with a splash of water, ice dilures it too much by the end of the glass, but the water really opens it up.

Thanks for the tip Bob. I'll have to pick up a bottle. I saw that last night as I was restocking the liquor cabinet :D Have you tried Ancient Age? They've got it for $8/750. If it's not horrible, might be a good choice for whiskey sours and such. I hate using the good stuff for cocktails.

lucasbuck said:
Thanks for the tip Bob. I'll have to pick up a bottle. I saw that last night as I was restocking the liquor cabinet :D Have you tried Ancient Age? They've got it for $8/750. If it's not horrible, might be a good choice for whiskey sours and such. I hate using the good stuff for cocktails.
[snapback]182995[/snapback]​

The Buffalo Trace, which I had to order from out of state, is one of my new favorites. Realy nice bourbon. It, along with the Elijah Craig 12 year, scored a 96 in Murray's Whiskey Bible. Both are under $20. Go ahead and spend another $5 and get the Ancient Ancient Age. See my review here.

It is fantastic for the money. I drink it with a little ice. Too good for mixers.

I never trust the stuff that's on the bottom shelf. :laugh:

You know, I've never had Ancient Age, so I have no idea about it. I'd guess your idea is right, though, it would be best for cocktails, not as a sipping (gulping?) whiskey. But if you try it, let me know. :rolleyes:

Edit: Looks like Scot beat me to a reply while I was composing mine. :laugh: I haven't seen the Ancient Ancient Age at the local shop in Sandy, just the regular AA that's been around for years and that's what I was writing about.

An additional topic: what do you guys think of George Dickel 7 year? I used to like the Dickel that came in the powder flask bottle, but I was much younger then. :whistling:

You guys need to try Conecha too, it is made here in Alabama and it is damn smooth, kind of similar to Buffalo Trace. Good price too..

psyktek said:
An additional topic: what do you guys think of George Dickel 7 year? I used to like the Dickel that came in the powder flask bottle, but I was much younger then. :whistling:
[snapback]183006[/snapback]​

butchcole said:
You guys need to try Conecha too, it is made here in Alabama and it is damn smooth, kind of similar to Buffalo Trace. Good price too..
[snapback]183016[/snapback]​

I've had the George Dickel 7 year. I thought is was just too raw to be used for anything but mixing. Fine with coke or in a sour. May just be my palate though.

Never heard of Conecha. Didn't see it listed in the Murray's Whiskey Bible, either. In what part of Alabama is it made? Are you sure it's the legal stuff? ;) I don't want something that's brought to market in an extra gas tank installed on a muscle car. :D J/K...though I do have relatives in Arkansas that still run moonshine.

It's Conecuh Ridge Whiskey

butchcole said:

Thanks Scot and Bob :thumbs: One question though Scot. If AAA is too good for mixers what cheap a$$ bourbon do you use for that ??? :D I rarely drink cocktails myself as I prefer my whiskey straight but some of my friends and most of the ladies like them.

lucasbuck said:
Thanks Scot and Bob :thumbs: One question though Scot. If AAA is too good for mixers what cheap a$$ bourbon do you use for that ??? :D I rarely drink cocktails myself as I prefer my whiskey straight but some of my friends and most of the ladies like them.
[snapback]183022[/snapback]​

I won't say it is too good, but it is good enough to drink straight up or over ice. I rarely do mixers. When I do, I use something like George Dickel 7 year, Evan Williams, or normal Ancient Age. I have used Virginia Gentleman as well. Just can't abide Jack Daniels in anything but the Single Barrel, though the Gentleman Jack makes a good mixer. Not a big fan of the lower end Jim Beam products.

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

lucasbuck said:
....most of the ladies like them.
[snapback]183022[/snapback]​

Craig is a ladies man :p

14786f.jpg

butchcole said:

Alabama Still Has State Whiskey
Wednesday April 06, 2005 11:16am

Montgomery (AP) - Getting rid of Alabama's official state whiskey has proven difficult for the Legislature, even though the founder of Conecuh Ridge Whiskey admitted violating liquor laws.

A resolution repealing Conecuh Ridge's designation as the "official state spirit" has been awaiting action by the Senate Rules Committee for two months. While Conecuh Ridge's status is limbo in the Legislature, a picture of the whiskey and information about its official designation remain on a Web site the state archives department maintains for children.

Jim Preuitt, chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, said other business has kept the resolution from coming up for a vote. But he predicted that legislators who voted to bestow the state designation on Conecuh Ridge last year will repeal it before the current legislative session ends May 16.

"It's sad we had someone from our state who developed the beverage to this point and then acted in the manner he did to cause embarrassment to our state and its people," Preuitt, D-Talladega, said.

Sen. Wendell Mitchell, who represents Troy, where Conecuh Ridge is based, also predicted the designation will get repealed.

"Time has proven it was an ill-conceived idea," Mitchell, D-Luverne, said.

In April 2004, the Legislature overrode a veto by Gov. Bob Riley to designate Conecuh Ridge Whiskey as the "official state spirit." A picture of the whiskey and information was added to the official state symbols and emblems on the kids' section of the Web site produced by the state Department of Archives and History.

Debbie Pendleton, assistant director for public services, said Tuesday the archives staff debated whether the Conecuh Ridge Whiskey's designation was appropriate for children and decided to include it because the Legislature had approved it.

"We try to do them all," she said Tuesday.

Trouble for Conecuh Ridge began in December, when state liquor agents charged the brand's founder, Kenny May of Troy, with misdemeanor violations in two counties - selling liquor without a license, possessing excessive quantities of liquor in a dry county, and selling to an 18-year-old girl in a state where the legal drinking age is 21.

May admitted the violations and paid fines, and the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board decided to quit selling his product in state-run liquor stores.

The sponsor of the 2004 resolution honoring Conecuh Ridge, Rep. Alan Boothe, D-Troy, got the Alabama House to pass another resolution Feb. 3 repealing the product's designation as the "official state spirit." The resolution went to the Rules Committee, where it has been sitting ever since.

Boothe said Tuesday he doesn't understand the delay, but he has asked several senators to act on his resolution.

"I've done all I know how to do," he said.

Preuitt said the Conecuh Ridge resolution is one of about 150 awaiting committee action. He said the committee only sent simple congratulatory resolutions to the Senate early in the legislative session. For the last few weeks, there has been no opportunity for the Senate to consider resolutions because of back-to-back filibusters, but the committee will eventually get the Conecuh Ridge resolution before the Senate, he said.

He said no one has been trying to maintain the designation for Conecuh Ridge.

Preuitt and Mitchell both voted to override the governor's veto of the Conecuh Ridge resolution last year. Riley maintained the Legislature shouldn't give an official state designation to a commercial product.

cigardawg said:
Just can't abide Jack Daniels in anything but the Single Barrel
[snapback]183025[/snapback]​

I'm with you there. I don't know how anyone can drink that Tennessee swill. JB Black is my regular bourbon but I'm looking to try some others as I'm relatively new to Kentucky whiskey. I'm finding it a nice change from my favorite Scotches.

lucasbuck said:
cigardawg said:

I'm with you there. I don't know how anyone can drink that Tennessee swill. JB Black is my regular bourbon but I'm looking to try some others as I'm relatively new to Kentucky whiskey. I'm finding it a nice change from my favorite Scotches.
[snapback]183032[/snapback]​

Tennessee Swill...WTF

Thems fighting words to us hillbillys. :p

cigarsarge said:
lucasbuck said:
cigardawg said:

[snapback]183032[/snapback]​

Tennessee Swill...WTF

[snapback]183044[/snapback]​

:laugh: :p

If the shoe fits..........no,no, that won't do.

If the pickup truck in on blocks in the front yard. You may be a hillbilly.

cigarsarge said:
Tennessee Swill...WTF

[snapback]183044[/snapback]​

When buying Ancient Ancient Age, I've read it can be confusing.

The problem is they have AAA 10YR in some states (only Kentucky and Virginia is what I've read) and in the rest of the country they sell AAA 10 Star. The AAA 10 Star is actually 6-7 years old NOT 10. Additionally, I've read that the AAA 10YR is far superior to the AAA 10 Star, but I have not had either yet. The AAA 10YR is next on my list to buy and it's only ~$10 here. They don't sell the AAA 10 Star in VA.

And they also have Ancient Age, which is a 4 YR (I believe)

Mike

cigardawg said:
lucasbuck said:
Thanks for the tip Bob.  I'll have to pick up a bottle.  I saw that last night as I was restocking the liquor cabinet :D   Have you tried Ancient Age?  They've got it for $8/750.  If it's not horrible, might be a good choice for whiskey sours and such.  I hate using the good stuff for cocktails.
[snapback]182995[/snapback]​

The Buffalo Trace, which I had to order from out of state, is one of my new favorites. Realy nice bourbon. It, along with the Elijah Craig 12 year, scored a 96 in Murray's Whiskey Bible. Both are under $20. Go ahead and spend another $5 and get the Ancient Ancient Age. See my review here.

It is fantastic for the money. I drink it with a little ice. Too good for mixers.
[snapback]183005[/snapback]​

We only get the AA here :( I did pick up a bottle of the Buffalo Trace though. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

If you want to pick up 2 I'll pay or trade you for one. All they have in PA and the few MD stores I checked was regular Ancient Age. LMK.

mhn said:
The AAA 10YR is next on my list to buy and it's only ~$10 here.
Mike