• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Built in Wall Humidor - First time project

Looks very nice! Will there be any method of temperature control?

This unit is located in the basement which stays at 65-70 degrees year around, so I won't have to do anything for temperature control. When we moved up here my wife had a long list of requirements that she wanted in a new house, I only requested a basement. I love having a cool place to go down to in the summer when she wants the windows open instead of the AC on! :)

Aight, we are finally getting a little closer. I had stained the door and put some clear on it Monday night. Yesterday right when I got home I put the glass in the door and caulked it up to hold it in and to seal it. The caulk in the picture dries clear and won't stay the white color that you see.

3612255797_6160f48ac2.jpg

I had a handle that I bought for it about 3 months ago that I also installed on the door. I may have to go back later and recess the screws that you see in the pictures, not sure if it is going to interfere with the seal.

I waited a few hours for the caulk to set up and start drying. I then installed the door onto the cabinet. Worked like a charm. I had two different weatherstripping that I was able to snag from work. The first one was a D style seal and was a little taller. After I installed it the door wouldn't close all the way because it was too thick by the hinges, so I had to pull it off and go with the thinner grey flat seal. Not 100% sure it is going to hold humidity properly, but I figured I would give it a go.

3612261115_c32cd58eac.jpg

The door seems to close well and it seems to push air out when it's closed, so I think it may work. I snapped a couple of quick photos, pulled out the bottom drawer and replaced it with a glass of water. Added a large humidifier in it from my cooler, dropped in the hygro and start the waiting game to see if I need to make any adjustments.

3612257531_925ffbd07b.jpg

3613074350_6fac340a81.jpg

It was stable when I went to bed at 55% and when I checked this morning it was at 56%... so not sure if it started moving up or if it was just on the verge before. Can't wait to check it when I get home!!

Looks great get some Heartfelt beads and put them in a small container on top, middle, and bottom of humi to get humidity even through the entire cabinet.

Looks great get some Heartfelt beads and put them in a small container on top, middle, and bottom of humi to get humidity even through the entire cabinet.

I think I will get some beads at some point, need to save up my pennies for it. I was also gonna see how the old school PG handled the space. I had gotten a really big credo from a bag o' crap deal from CI I think it was. It is about 12" x 4" x 1" so it is pretty large. With it in there the humidity was up to 68%, but that was with the hygrometer fairly close to the credo. I am gonna give it a couple days to see what it does and then move the hygro up into the drawers and then down into the bottom to see what kind of differences I have. I might also run a fan in it sometimes, not sure yet if I need it or not. Getting excited to get it loaded up though!!

I checked the humidity last night. Right now I have the big humidifier in the middle where the two drawers are missing. In the center of the unit my humidity is about 72% near the humidifier, on the bottom shelf it came back at 65% and the top drawer was reading 62% last night. That was with opening and closing the door some. I left the door closed overnight and checked the top drawer this morning and it was reading 65% humidity, so it is getting there. Another few days and I think I will be in good shape.

Well, I had a little bit of extra time today and got a few things done around the house. I have been meaning to go back and update this thread with some loaded photos, but never got around to it until now. Humidity holds very stead right at 70% throughout. When the credos are getting dry it slowly drops down by about a percent a day so it gives me a bit of time to get water added. I have had to add water twice, so it looks like it holds the humidity fairly well (ambient room humidity this summer was approximately 45% in the basement). I assume I will have to do it more often in the winter with the heat on. I have a big old school credo behind the bottom drawer that is approx 12" x 1" x 4" so it has a good amount of surface area.

So.. without further ado, here are a couple shots.. loving having it and the wife even thinks it looks good.

4030791116_6bdde66943.jpg

4030793532_995a5bb097.jpg

4030041259_65cc52b3fb.jpg

4030798424_a0755116d6.jpg

4030801088_b9d78364b6.jpg

4030804042_c4bdb4dc47.jpg

Wow. You are definitely a true wood worker! How about I pay you to make me one? :p

Very, very classy work! I like how it blends with the rest of the surrounding wood.

If it was in my house I'd be peering in there constantly, similar to when we bake cookies and I can't help but stare in the oven window
smile.gif

Good work. You did a phenomenal job with this project. Ever think of doing this as a side business? Locally of course.

Thanks guys, it was definitely a fun project. I was only able to do it with a ton of help from a friend of mine who makes cabinets. I feel as if I could make another one now, and I definitely have a greater appreciation for what goes into cabinets.... and mine wasn't even that hard of a project (for him anyway)! :laugh:

I have some spare time for the time being, so maybe if I run out of projects to do around the house then maybe I'll get in touch with someone. And no.. Michigan isn't that far away. :)

That turned out great, I would love to do something like that when we finally move into a house we will stay in for more than 2-3 years.....

Looks awesome brother! One of these days I'll have something that nice.

Real good looking humidor. Looks like you put alot of time and thought into it. If you need help with a humidification system for it, let me know. I can help you out.