• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cable vs. Dish

Just switched to DirectTV from Comcast (another fee increase this month!). It's cheaper, the channel selection is as good if not better.

BUT, we lost service for hours last week during the snowstorm. Now I switched the box to a different satellite?channel and the signal strength is much better, but we still lost signal during some really heavy wind. I'm thinking that we have a tree that is almost in the line-of-sight, so the branches may have moved enough to cause a problem. Still would not go back to cable. Deregulation and monopolies are not good partners! :sign:

Four tvs in the house all on Dish Net.............Two of them have all access to everything....Ya see, I know this guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that .....

Any how, I used to have Direct TV when it first came out and it was cool enough till Dish Net came along. Started selling Dish Net 6 years ago and thats where I have been ever since. Besides it would take a but load of work to get them to run cable out where I live, and according to some folks in town it sucks anyways.

After reading everyone's posts... it seems that it really comes down to area of availability and service provider.

See who's best in your area... and go with them.

:)

DirecTV !!!

I had classic cable way back when they wouldn't even think of hooking up my tiny town with Mtv because they said it wasn't "family programming" and I wasn't even asking that it be part of the basic cable. I went out and purchased a first generation original direcTV reciever for an enourmous price and have been SO happy ever since. I have since moved on to better recievers but have had no desire to leave direct TV. I even waited two extra years for a cable modem because the local cable company then at that time would only sell cable modem service with a cable tv package and I wouldn't give up my direct tv.

I now have a reciever with a 30 hour tivo unit built in(first generation tivo rocks over second gen. IMHO), and a DVD recorder to record of the tivo'd programs I want to keep. The quality of picture is far far supirior to cable tv even on vhs tape. I have recordered over other peoples tapes and they have mentioned that 6 hour mode from my reciever looks better then 2 hour of there cable tv. The service is very seldom ever lost, like a couple times a year max as phatash said.(put the dish where you can sweep the snow off if need be). I go crazy flipping channels at other peoples houses and I don't have my on screen guide available. Even my brother digital cable has a lame guide compared to directTV. I have gotten some great stuff off pay per view, rock concerts and stuff even. I also love two feeds of network programming. No more missing CSI because I want to watch ER.

I also have to say I love tivo. I would have a hard time going back to life without it. People talk about cool commercials and I have no idea what they are talking about. I even go find something to do for 20 minutes even if the show is just comming on so that when I do watch 20 minutes later I can blast right past the commercials. I love Tivo!!

I even have a cable modem now that a different company started offering them and they gave me basic cable for free but I never switch over and check it out.

This last weekend I was at my parents and my brother and I were actually very ingrosed in the International clam chowder cook off competition. They may have only basic cable but I now know what a quohog is. That would never happen if I had been at home. :thumbs: