• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cable vs. Dish

Big Slim Junior

I'm trying to figure out if getting a dish would be the way to go. I'd keep the cable for internet. I have Comcast right now. It seems the packages are getting more spendy and have less to offer that dishes. Any thoughts on cable vs Direct TV vs Dish Network?

I've had Dish Network and now Direct TV. I personally like the Direct TV better. I see more football games without having to buy the football pkg. I wish I could get cable for the internet but I live too far off the road :sign:

I think the little green guy above describes my thoughts about Comcast

My .02

I've had both. The biggest problem with the dish is when the weather gets bad, say goodbye to whatever your watching. Other than that and NFL Sunday Ticket, makes no difference to me.

I've had Direct TV since the day it came out. Out in the sticks we don't have cable but from what I have seen it is somewhat cheaper than cable.

I get 2 to 4 channels depending onn the weather. ;) Guess thiss isnt my forum :p Good luck in your decesion :thumbs:

Dish Network!! We had cable for many years, price kept going up! Had dish for 3 years had one $2 increase. Plus the biggest advantage of Dish to me is the PVR recievers( TIVO like). It has revolutionized the way I watch TV. Have very little problem with weather reception though with trees partially blocking the dish if it is very windy say over 30mph it will lose a little bit!

I run Direct TV for myself, Cable for the kids, and cable for the internet....

Still runs me less than $100.00 per month..

Chef Richard

I am not a comcast fan myself either, but I use it. I dont use Digital cable because the quality I have seen isnt that much better, when they start to offer more HD programming it will make sense to switch over, only if you have a HDTV ready TV and Decoder

Cable is more expensive but has its internet related benefit. I have Dish, my parents DirectTV. I prefer the Dish menu screen although I understand different DirectTV boxes have different menu screens.

:thumbs: DIRECT TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

I have had cable, dish network and Direct TV. I like Direct TV the most. More channels, less money, and you can now recieve digital internet through sat. transmission. Don't be swayed by weather arguement...as long as you have a good clear southwest window to the sky weather should not be too much of a problem. I have had Sat. service for past 5 years and I lose service maybe twice a year for about 10-15 minutes each time. Hell, I experienced similar outages with cable during snow storms (down lines and all).

sibernation said:
I get 2 to 4 channels depending onn the weather. ;) Guess thiss isnt my forum :p Good luck in your decesion :thumbs:
sibernation, looks like your the perfect candidate for the Dish too....
2-4 channels, I'd go nuts...

Big Slim
I personally like Directv...I think u get more bang for the buck....except when there's a storm...I don't know about you...but who has thier tv on during a thunderstorm? If you really want the tv on... just slip in a cd or tape. I know you miss what your watching, but the pro's out weigh the cons...IMHO.

you may loose it on a really, really bad cloudy day...but only for a minute or so...that's only happened once or twice at the most in 4 years.

Guess that would depend on your area also...
I wonder if they have a problem with the fog in London using a dish?

But the biggest Pro(IMO) + not mentioned yet is you can now get ONline Via the dish..

Direct access 24 hrs a day. that's something to consider before jumping into a dish as that takes a different type of dish to get both tv and net access on the same dish. but you can get 2 different dishes if you don't mind the view.

I broke down and got internet access too. waiting for the single dish install later this month. my friend has it...waiting for a page to load? what wait. music down loads are a snap.

I hope this has helped you out. good luck on your decision...

:sign: :sign: :sign: did someone say I talk to much? :thumbs:

I have Adelphia Cable/internet. Im sort of happy with them. They do have good service and Great Interent. buttttttttttttt they just raised the price of my service by $10.00 and told us that we need to all switch to their new "package" format.
my bill was around 85-90 with my internet access now it is around 100.00 :angry:
They did give us a few new channels but not 10.00 worth of them. Ohhh they say that they increased my internet speed/bandwidth, I havent tested it yet so don't really know if they did or not. I havent noticed a difference at all. My buddy Has the Dish "dish network" and my other friend has "direct tv". the both are cheaper then mine is with a few more channels BUT, They have Problems when it snows, too windy, and raining tooo hard with signal. Ive only had 2 issues in 8 years with my cable. 1st my cable went out for about 15min. Not really a big deal. 2nd My internet was messed up for about a week. They were installing new servers CLOSER to my house!!!

jdevil5.gif

ohh using the interent through the dish you get ok downloads and really crappy uploads. If you are a gamer like myself dish internet service isn't up to par just yet. If just like to do e-mail and surf the net then it will work just fine IMHO.
adelphia <-
broadband reports <- great site

skull2.gif

I've had both, but I like cable better. For all intents and purposes, dish and cable are equal. What it comes down to are the intangibles. I get a discount with my cable internet by having their cable tv so it's worth it. Straight up, the costs for cable are probably a little higher. The main dislike I had for dish was the effect of weather. Just the slightest change in climate and your signal either goes on the fritz or completely out. Either way, it's a really pisser.

DirectTV is by far cheaper than cable, I don't cared where you live. the dish is cheaper and you get as much or more for less money. If you do not believe me, goto various cable company websites and check prices, than price DirectTV. I am paying 39.00 per month for the dish, and get more channels now than when I had cable, which I was paying 59.00 per month. Both are digital so no big difference there, I have never had any mechanical problem and the picture is top notch. Plus the cable company is rasing there rates yet again as of the 1st of the year. This is a no brainer. Get the dish. :thumbs:

I hardly even watch TV but the MOST important thing to me is high-speed internet through my cable company.

I wish the satellite TV companies could figure out how to provide competitive internet service with their dishes 'cause I could tell my cable company to FO

They can provide Internet service. Look into Earthlink for example. Too damn expensive though.

LOL AVB, yeah I editied my post to add the word "competitive" I'm not sure though but around me, I don't know if we have and dish companies that provide high speed internet!! I should check though.......