• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Candela cigar review

I have had the flu for the last 6 days. Just now getting my energy back up. Will be a few before my taste buds are back in the game for the review.

Camacho Candela Robusto review

I as knocking out some chores and smoked this cigar while I was cleaning the pool, so it didn't get my full attention.

Here's a pre-light pic:

standard.jpg

The cigar was nicely wrapped and was a bit darker green than the two previous cigars. I clipped the head and lit it with a wooden match. The first couple of puffs were a bit harsh and then it settled down. Right away, I noticed it was stronger than the previous cigars as well. It was an easy smoke producing lots of smoke. It didn't really have that candela flavor and blindfolded I could have easily not recognized this cigar as a candela. I didn't get any particular flavors, but it was a nice smooth smoke. I finished the pool and cleaned the filter. The cigar sat unattended a couple of times during this time but never went out.

standard.jpg

Soon after that picture was taken I headed out to the shop to finish a couple of small projects. This phase of the project was hand sanding, so I got to pay more attention to the cigar. I also got some water to go along with it.

Normally, I run out of time or the cigar gets nasty and I toss it about the time the coal hits the band. This cigar was going well and not harsh, so I cut off the band and got a few more puffs out of it before it turned a bit harsh. I let it go out.

I felt a slight nic buzz and had just a hint of stomach churn (I was several hours overdue for lunch) so this cigar is at least a medium strength cigar.

I enjoyed it and am looking foward to smoking the remaining cigars I have left over from the box buy.

Aliados Review

I had some time today while playing poker to enjoy the next cigar on the candela list. The Aliados is a robusto sized candela with a familiar smooth green wrapper and silky feel. The pre-light draw seemed almost too easy and it went up in a blaze. It took about a half-inch before any flavor came through. The taste was familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It wasn't as good as the AF but better then the Camacho and the Astral (which sucked).

What do you guys drink when you smoke these?

Fish

Camacho Candela Review

Sorry guys, no photos on this one. Just imagine the same photos of the 858 review with a different band. :)

Construction of this stick is very nice, no heavy veins to be seen and a nice feel in the hand.

Gave it a cut with the Palio and the pre-light draw was nice, perhaps a bit on the loose side, but not enough to take away from the enjoyment of this cigar.

After a toast and light, the first third was very mellow with hints of sweetness and floral notes mixed in. Lots of smoke from this one, I like that.

The second third was the same with added flavors of spice here and there. There was another flavor mixed in that I cannot put a finger on. I have tasted it before, but I cannot find the proper words to describe it other than good.

Findthe spice hints going away in the final thrid. The floral notes are still there as well as the mystery taste. A very relaxing smoke and a great way to spend an hour after dinner.

The ash held on well and the burn was as good as it gets. No touch ups or relights for this cigar.

Overall, I would say that this is a great smoke. Mild in body, but full of flavors. I will be looking to add some of these to the humidor in the future. Not as good as the 858, but pretty darn close. A great relaxing smoke and well worth a try.

This one makes up for the Astral and then some.

Aliados Review

I had some time today while playing poker to enjoy the next cigar on the candela list. The Aliados is a robusto sized candela with a familiar smooth green wrapper and silky feel. The pre-light draw seemed almost too easy and it went up in a blaze. It took about a half-inch before any flavor came through. The taste was familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It wasn't as good as the AF but better then the Camacho and the Astral (which sucked).

Fish

I must have gotten the bad one from the box. My Cuba Aliados was bitter and tasted like tar. I've had many, many others in the past & loved them, but this one was almost, not quite, but almost as bad as the Astral. I'm glad to hear others are having better results!

Aliados Review

Fish

I must have gotten the bad one from the box. My Cuba Aliados was bitter and tasted like tar. I've had many, many others in the past & loved them, but this one was almost, not quite, but almost as bad as the Astral. I'm glad to hear others are having better results!

Sorry to hear that you got a bad one. Was the second stick just as bad? What were you drinking?

I have noticed that what I am drinking matters more with the candelas then with my other sticks. I have tried water, club soda, Baily's, green tea no sugar, and coffee. The obvious water and club soda are neutral. Green tea was nice and brought out good flavor, Baily's made it taste like crap and was way to overpowering, and coffee made the cigar taste cheap.

Fish

I haven't had the chance to smoke my next cigar, but I am ready to send out the next wave of cigars. The next wave will consist of 2 Graycliff's Emerald Presidente's or Robusto's....They are $18/stick at my local B&M, but I managed to score 3 fivers on Cbid. Average price per stick is about 11 bucks!

With shipping, that makes the next go-round a $25 deal. I'll try to get the cigars packed and shipped this weekend. I'll post when I have the shipping info.

Hello there fellow reviewers. I'm sorry that I haven't had the time to smoke and review my side of these greenies lately. My work schedule has been slightly prohibitive of anything other than sleep for the past few weeks.

Last night I fired up my 2nd AF 858, and I think that I might be picking these up on a regular basis. Light, slightly sweet, and flawless construction. Of course I'm repeating what has been said, but these ones seem to just do me right. Great with tea.

Astral tonight: ...... Flawless construction...... Crap. Suffice to ditto above, no need to beat a dead horse.

Camacho: Tomorrow.
CA: This week.

Boxes in the mail!

I sent out the last 2 candelas (Graycliff Emerald Presidentes), plus the promised "thank you" cigars for participating.

0480 5401 4370 3203 1575 - AVB
0480 5401 4370 3203 1582 - Tigger
0480 5401 4370 3203 1599 - AngryFish
0480 5401 4370 3203 1605 - Golfgar

Bilder and Vitalemob opted out of the last round.

I have a few extra of these if anybody wants to participate in the last round of the reviews. (2-fer is $25 delivered...which is a good price considering MSRP is $18/stick). PM me.

Looking forward to reading the next round of reviews.

Cuba Aliados review

Here's the cigar:
standard.jpg

It looked pretty tasty and I had high hopes for it. I also smoked this one while cleaning the pool. It clipped nicely and I got a good pre-light draw from it. Just a bit on the easy side, but still acceptable.

I lit it and took a few puffs. It took a good light and was burning well. The first few puffs were pleasant with lots of smoke. The cigar tasted a bit "green"...not like the tea flavors of the previous cigars, more like a vegetable green kind of taste.

I smoked about 1/3 of it and I was feeling kind of queasy. I don't think this cigar was particularly strong, but maybe wasn't properly aged. I slowed my smoking a bit and tried to soldier through, but only managed to get to the 1/2 point when I let it go out. I think had I continued I would have seen my lunch again.

Not a bad tasting cigar and I'm thinking that with some age on them, they might be ok. I am planning to let the few I have left rest a bit in my humi and try them again later this year.

Camacho review:

I thought I did this one already but I guess not. Going to double up with the Aliados shortly.

The construction of this stick is pretty good no big veins noticed and a semi firm feel over the whole stick. After a snip I checked the pre-light draw and found it pretty good but the proof is in the fire so after toasting the foot I fired it up. As with the majority of candelas, it is a light bodied laid back stick with an airy (as in opposite of earthy) taste. It put out a good amount of smoke which to me means it was well made inside. After the first half it started to spice up a bit and had some what I thought of as grassy bits show once in a while, nothing bad about that though and it pretty much remained that way until the last inch when I put it down. A vast improvement over the Astral and I wouldn't turn down another if offered.

Thanks for these reviews brothers. I've enjoyed them.

Still...I never have been able to get into candelas. I feel like if I do, I'll have to start wearing nothing but blue and white striped seersucker suits, wearing white Bass bucs (or at least black n' white saddle shoes), a white panama hat, grow a Col. Sanders beard, and go around sippin' mint juleps.

"Momma says alligators is angry 'cuz they got all them teeth, and no toothbrush..."

You better watch what you say or I'll send you what's left of the box of Astrals!

I think I look pretty stylish in my panama hat, silk shirt, gold chains, white shorts with sandals and black socks...sipping a mojito on the veranda....

My Aliados Review:

Trying to catch back up I went out to enjoy the 50 degree weather and fired up the Aliados. This is a robusto sized candela with a normal smooth green wrapper of all candelas, no noticeable veins stood out but it seemed a bit soft. Softer then the others in the review process so far. The pre-light draw was very easy and was expected from the softness of the feel. The cigar lit very easily and quickly after the foot was toasted. Like jgohlke, it started burning the wrapper pretty quickly before I blew it out. Once the burned end was cleared some of what I would consider "normal" flavor cam through. Again, this is a fairly mild cigar but because of the loose roll it burned hot and a bit harsh. After about an inch and a half I put the cigar down to let it cool off and see if it would improve.......not much happened but the flavors did come out however, it heated up again rather quickly. I smoked another inch before putting it down for good. There is some potential here if it had a tighter roll but until that happens I'm gonna pass on any more.

The above pretty much applies to both sticks with the review based more on the second cigar.

I just got my Graycliffs today and they look incredible. It's like a Christmas present that your parents got for you in November and now you have to wait to smoke it. Thanks again jgohlke!

Look for my Aliados review this weekend.

Fish

Sorry for the delay guys. Been colder than anything and busy at work the last few weeks. Our dept. is staffed with 7 people usually but the last month we have been down to 4.

Anyway, last week I had the chance to stop by the cigar shop and try out the Aliados.

The construction and draw were very nice. No major flaws that I could see. The cigar lit well and needed no relights during the smoke.

Flavor was the same throughout the whole cigar. Nothing that really stood out, but overall a decent tobacco flavor from start to finish. Pretty mild body and taste, not stong at all. Mine started to turn during the last third, so I put it down at that part.

Overall, it is an ok cigar. No real outstanding taste zinger that stands out. Just a basic mild stick that will not knock your socks off.

Don Thomas Candela

Tried this cigar tonight/this morning and here are my thoughts.

Construction was very good. No large veins or imperfections to been seen. Nice green color to it. Slight spring when given a little pinch.

Gave it a cut and the prelight draw was a tad tight, but not enough to cause any problems.

After a toast and light I was met with a very nice flavor. Kinda floral/tea like mixed in with the tobacco taste. After an inch or so, the floral notes went away and it was just a nice mild flavor for the remainder of the smoke. No major changes that I could detect for the rest of the stick. Nice flavor, tobacco with a hint of cedar/leather in what I would call a mild bodied cigar. Took it down to the last inch where it began to get too hot to handle.

Ash did not hold very well and I ended up wearing a good deal of it. It would hold for an inch or so then suddenly fall in my lap as I took a puff. I think this cigar was mocking me in the ash department.

Would I smoke another? Yes I would. Overall an enjoyable way to pass the time. Would be a nice way to start a cigar smoking day or end one. Not harsh, not too strong, just a nice stick to relax with and watch the world go by.

Don Thomas Candela Review

I wasn't too excited about doing this cigar review. The cigar was very inexpensive (about a buck/stick box price on Cbid) and after the Astral, I wasn't very encouraged about smoking these low-end candelas.

The cigar is a nice looking cigar with no visible defects. Here's a pre-light picture:
standard.jpg

I clipped the end and lit it directly with my torch lighter. It lit right up and gave off lots of smoke with the first few puffs. I could tell right away that this cigar was going to be a mild cigar. While it had hints of herb tea, they were just that, hints. It didn't taste like I was smoking tea leaves (like the Astral) and the taste was pleasant. The cigar was doing an excellent job of creating smoke and most of it was blowing in the house, so I walked around the backyard and worked a bit in the shop while I smoked it.

It turned out to be a great cigar. I was very surprised. While it is a very mild cigar, it had some taste and was a very enjoyable way to spend the last hour of the day. I think this cigar would be a great cigar to smoke in the morning or late at night when a strong cigar isn't what you want. I think this cigar will be a great summer cigar. I often would like a smoke in the afternoon and I think this cigar would be the perfect hot weather cigar (maybe with a mojito!).

Don Thomas Candela - a pleasant surprise!

Indian Tabac Candela - Review

Here's the picture:
standard.jpg

Construction was very nice with no obvious soft spots or other problems. I punched it and sparked it up with a torch lighter. I was smoking outside in a soft breeze, so no toasting. It lit with no drama and immediately started producing large volumes of smoke. The first couple of puffs had an off-taste, but that went away by the 3rd or 4th puff. I had some minor trouble with the burn and touched it up a couple of times. I was sitting in the driveway at the edge of the garage watching the world go by after dinner on a Wednesday night. This cigar, like the other candelas was a mild cigar with some slight herbal (like tea) flavors...almost a bit green with just the slightest hint of mint (or was that just my imagination running with the green theme?). I think this cigar would make a great hot weather or morning cigar. I spent about an hour on it and at about the 1/4 mark, I let it go out. The cigar developed that "I'm done" taste, the sun had gone down and the bugs were out....

All in all, an enjoyable cigar (for a mild cigar) that I wouldn't mind smoking again. No big Wow!, but not a bad smoke.

While I wasn't a part of the group review here, I just had a Camacho candela, and thought I'd toss in my two pennies.

This was a robusto, what Camacho calls a "Monarca." Now, I've only had one other candela--a Bering-- and it was pretty nasty. I've always associated candela wrappers with mild, "airball" sticks, and I like fuller bodied stuff so I generally avoid them. I got this one in a sampler. I bought it mainly for the SLR and Corojo maduros.

Anyway, as far as construction goes, it's just like any other Camacho. A little rough around the edges, but overall good quality. I let this one drybox for a few hours, and the draw was perfect after a punch. To me, the flavor was straight-up Camacho. Earthy tobacco and some spice, and smokes like a freight train. What gets me is that this thing was quite a bit stronger than I'd expected. While the flavor was very clean, it left a long finish. I can't say I got a lot of the "green" flavors from it. It burned perfectly all the way down. I really enjoyed this cigar.....much better than I anticipated. I'd buy some more.

Incedentally, I noticed that it is not listed on Camacho's website. Is this a CI exclusive, or is it being discontinued?

~Edit: Just noticed that these are listed on their website under the Corojo line. Apparently it's Corojo filler with the candela wrapper. That would explain the strength.