• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Car humidor solutions...

Jan Primus

It would be handy to always have a handful of cigars in my vehicle but not something that needs alot of attention (with regards to monitering humidity). Would an otterbox be the best solution? How do they hold humidity if you only check it every few weeks? Thanks.

I think the otterbox could be a way to go, especially with a humipack in it. However, my concern would be the temperature of having the box sit in a hot car all day.

Good point regarding high temps...I guess all I could do here is not keep ultra premium sticks and just a small amount (like up to a half dozen) to minimize losses if they get screwed up.

I always keep an otterbox in the car with me. I keep a boveda pak inside as well. I do take it in the house with me at night, especially in the hot weather.
The temperature is going to be an issue no matter what you use to carry cigars with you in the summer.
At worst, you can bring the otterbox inside with you when you are parked.

Dave

My Otter stays with me in my backpack. I don't even allow the humi to see sunlight for any extended period.

My Otter stays with me in my backpack. I don't even allow the humi to see sunlight for any extended period.

That's exactly what I do too. I don't leave it in the car when it's parked and I haven't had any problems.

You may be able to get this to work:

5644-710_200.jpg

LINKY

:)

Than again, a Mercedes has the arm-rest cooler feature...so you could use that! ;)

5644-710_200.jpg

LINKY

Than again, a Mercedes has the arm-rest cooler feature...so you could use that! ;)

I'm imagining using the argument of getting a Mercedes simply so my cigars won't get hot next time I buy a car.

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' post='664205' date='May 9 2008, 02:20 PM']I'm imagining using the argument of getting a Mercedes simply so my cigars won't get hot next time I buy a car.[/quote]

If you don't play the long con....then the little one's won't get by! :laugh:

I think one of the new VWs has that cooling feature - sadly when I heard about it I immediately thought about cigars...LOL

I think one of the new VWs has that cooling feature - sadly when I heard about it I immediately thought about cigars...LOL

Doesn't help much though when the car is not running. I saw a vehicle the other day, don't seem to recall what kind it was (I think Audi), but it had more options than I even realized some cars have. The backseats folded down to give you access to a mini fridge. One hell of a nice ride, but it was a cool 85K.

Doesn't help much though when the car is not running. I saw a vehicle the other day, don't seem to recall what kind it was (I think Audi), but it had more options than I even realized some cars have. The backseats folded down to give you access to a mini fridge. One hell of a nice ride, but it was a cool 85K.

The one I remember seeing on the Benz was one you can set and it ran when you were out of the car (for a while). :D

Go with the BENZ! hehe

Bro is you have a car that comes with a fridge I think that's the perfect solution just toss in a humidipak. My Land Cruiser came with a fridge and the only thing it holds are my stogies.

5644-710_200.jpg

LINKY

Tried that...it drains the car battery overnight if you leave it on all the time. So then I hooked it up to the switched 12v supply and it seems to work as long as I don't open it after I turn off the car...the chill stays in over a hot night and the heat stays in over a cold night.....but I use this small 6pack sized Hot/Cold version with my 8 cigar travel humi in it.
I've been doing this for 6-7 years and the cigars are always in fine shape....I never bring it in the house except to fill it up with fresh cigars or to add PG.
TravelHumiCooler.jpg

Thanks for the info Gary...might need to hit you up for more details later, such as hooking it up to the "switched 12v supply"?

Thanks for the info Gary...might need to hit you up for more details later, such as hooking it up to the "switched 12v supply"?

JP...I drive an Acura TL and there was a switched 12v supply in the bottom part of my center console that is used for a cell phone charger (I use it to power my portable XM radio cradle that I have hard wired into my car). So I tapped (soldered) into that and ran the wire under the carpeting to my trunk and added a Radio Shack 12v socket and plugged the cooler/heater thing into that.

BUT then, I had a custom sound system installed and the installer cleaned it up by tapping into the giant wire that runs from the battery to the trunk and powers my amp, then he added this little tap block with 2 sockets in it...he said it's the same thing they use in SUVs and campers and causes no interference with the sound system.

Most cars have a switched power supply, you know, an extra socket for a cell phone, potable Nav unit , or satellite radio. If I didn't have the console one, I would have found the fuse that powers the extra socket in the fuse block and run the wire from there....just make sure you have enough amperage to power all the things that you want to use it for.

Hope this helps...if you need any other info...PM me with your car type and we'll get you a plan for it to work.

Tried that...it drains the car battery overnight if you leave it on all the time. So then I hooked it up to the switched 12v supply and it seems to work as long as I don't open it after I turn off the car...the chill stays in over a hot night and the heat stays in over a cold night.....but I use this small 6pack sized Hot/Cold version with my 8 cigar travel humi in it.
I've been doing this for 6-7 years and the cigars are always in fine shape....I never bring it in the house except to fill it up with fresh cigars or to add PG.
TravelHumiCooler.jpg
Wow. Slick. :thumbs:

My cigars always travel with me so they are never in the car for any length of time under adverse conditions.

Wilkey

TravelHumiCooler.jpg
Wow. Slick. :thumbs:

My cigars always travel with me so they are never in the car for any length of time under adverse conditions.

Wilkey
As you already know Wilkey.....

Necessity is the mother of invention ;)

Indeed it is! :)

BTW, I believe it's Coleman that make the Extreme series 5-day/90F coolers. I wonder if you have looked into those? They're probably a bit bigger than you might prefer but could function as a passive system if kept in the trunk as opposed to the solar heated passenger cabin.

Wilkey

It is Coleman who makes those Wilkey and I can attest - they are phenomenal and serve their stated purpose amazingly well.