• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cast iron cooking

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I didn't want to steal @Bsneed51 Brent's thread on the Blackstone, and I thought cast iron cooking might deserve it's own thread.

I love cooking with various cast iron implements and would love to hear about some recipes.

I'd also be curious to know how you guys clean your cast iron.

I love cooking in cast iron. I cook just about anything in them. As for cleaning, Get pan really hot and a wet paper towel or rag add a little salt if it's really dirty for scouring effect and then I throw it back on the burner to heat dry before using olive oil to season and put away.

I love cooking in cast iron. I cook just about anything in them. As for cleaning, Get pan really hot and a wet paper towel or rag add a little salt if it's really dirty for scouring effect and then I throw it back on the burner to heat dry before using olive oil to season and put away.
I have a two sided griddle that I use when camping, and occasionally at home. One side is flat and one side creates grill marks. Whatever side is down gets really nasty from flame and smoke. I have always used the method you described but sometimes the under-side is really nasty. I usually scrub it with a lot of salt, oil, and water to get the worst off.

Just wondered if there might be a better way?

I saw something recently from Lodge saying you can use soap on them, because it doesn't have lye in it anymore. I've been using it since and my seasoning is fine, I cook pretty much everything in cast iron.

I have a two sided griddle that I use when camping, and occasionally at home. One side is flat and one side creates grill marks. Whatever side is down gets really nasty from flame and smoke. I have always used the method you described but sometimes the under-side is really nasty. I usually scrub it with a lot of salt, oil, and water to get the worst off.

Just wondered if there might be a better way?

I don't often use my CI over open fires like that, but when I do, I usually try to put some foil down on the grill or on the bottom of the pan.

I won’t use plain cast iron on a cooktop since it scratches everything up. I’ve gotten into enamel coated cooking in the oven and stove top lately. Still really great results in braising and flavor that I like with cast iron cooking. Bought this guy a couple of weeks ago at Costco and made a great Chicken Marsala in it on Sunday.
7071F9AC-1818-4E16-8532-58ED4F24D73D.jpeg
072C652A-0B2F-4FCC-B882-410EB4B13420.jpeg

I don't know if anyone has seen this guys videos, he is a bit of a doof but he has some great recipes. He will often explain how you cook/bake in a dutch oven using an "exact" number of charcoal briquets, not one more, and not one less.:)

Cast Iron Ranger <<<<<< Link

I won’t use plain cast iron on a cooktop since it scratches everything up. I’ve gotten into enamel coated cooking in the oven and stove top lately. Still really great results in braising and flavor that I like with cast iron cooking. Bought this guy a couple of weeks ago at Costco and made a great Chicken Marsala in it on Sunday.
View attachment 52547
View attachment 52548
You inspired me. Had one that I loved but broke, and for some reason never replaced it. Going up baptize it with some Beef Bourgogne.

PXL_20220222_174952306.jpg

View attachment 52547
View attachment 52548
My wife got me a le crusset(sp). Love it for braising, that Costco one is awesome.

You inspired me. Had one that I loved but broke, and for some reason never replaced it. Going up baptize it with some Beef Bourgogne.

View attachment 52554
I am always amazed what we get each other to buy. Dutch ovens, bread makers, hubo huts, Digital Girlfriends, Black stone grills, heaters, smokers, booze, cigars...

Edited to add Digital Girlfriends

Last edited:
My wife got me a le crusset(sp). Love it for braising, that Costco one is awesome.
My wife whole heartedly swears by Le Creuset. They are quite expensive but the quality is great and I might be insane but somehow food cooked in these tastes better to me

Here is a little trick for those who might want to pick something up from them. Don’t buy in their original stores or online. There are quite a lot of outlet malls that have their store. Look for a holiday sale and might get away with buying a pice at 60-70% off the original price

I also have what looks like a piece of chain mail for scouring, but usually use salt. For me there is something relaxing or soul soothing about caring for a cast iron pan.