• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cello on or off? (Actually, I'm serious)

tomthirtysix

Wishing I was as cool as Phil
I know a couple (few?) years back, Anejos were notorious for mold problems. If I recall correctly, this was thought to be mainly due to the humidipak in the box. I recently bought my first box of Anejos, and for the guys who keep them in their inventory, do you still take the precaution to remove the cedar for storage? Or is this not really a problem anymore?

I leave them as is.  I've never had a mold problem with mine.

I had a few AF 858 wrapped in cedar,  all of them had small mold spots. All the other cigars kept in the same conditions were ok. So from now on i will remove the cedar.

Anejo wrappers are for some reason the most mold susceptible wrappers I've ever seen.  For Anejo's, I pull the cedar / cello on a couple, check them every few months, pull the cedar / cello on a couple more, etc.

For the rest of the cigars in the cabinet, they stay cello'd.  

Now, about the altitude effects....... ;)  

Most definitely take the cedar and cello off Sharks.

Doc

I always pull the cedar and cello on anejos.  I never want to risk losing any to mold and I've had a problem with that in the past.

Even knowing what was said, I never took them off and never had an issue when I checked a few of them over the years.

My biggest example was an Anejo fell down under my bottom box drawer of my Aristocrat and it must have been down there 6-7 years I figured. When I found it about 2 years back, the cello was very yellow and the cedar was blackish in spots. I took off the cello & cedar and it was still in perfect shape.

After that I never sweat it again. Maybe I've been lucky as the humidity on the bottom of my humi has to be close to 70%.

I don't have any with "age" on them, but I have some with the cedar/cello on and some with it off.  I haven't seen any problems with mine.

Maybe its just luck but I've never had an issue storing them they way they were shipped and I have a couple of half full boxes that are at least 5 years old.

I generally leave them in cedar and cello. Only once (in 4ish boxes) did I unwrap one to find spots of mold. I unwrapped the remaining sticks in that box, wiped them off, and returned them to their box. That was over a year ago, and though there are dwindling numbers, they have been fine.

Don't quote me on it but I believe I remember what you are talking about and that was back when Fuente had a few bad batches of cedar because I remember that was around the same time the King B's first came out and the cedar had sap on them that was sticking to the wrappers and causing mold problems as well. The other thing at time time is it was through the cedar its self was wet so people undressed and dry boxed the cedar (as silly as that sounds) then redressed them after 2 weeks and never had issues. I have no idea if this is still relevant today, I haven't gotten any Anejo's yet this year. I've been slacking.

I pull the cedar off, but leave the cello on (mostly because I'm clumsy and tend to damage wrappers from dropping/bumping/moving them around.)

This is pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the discussion, guys.

tomthirtysix said:
This is pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the discussion, guys.

YO YO...wit all dis info in da house...whatcha gunna do now?

2-Cents_zpsef8e64e8.jpg

I'm just going to leave them as is, and check in on them from time to time. And I've got WAY more rings than that!