• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Choix Supreme and H Upman Mag 46's

Ugaman72

With some suggestions by John, Jeff, and Wilkey, I am now the proud owner of a box each of the Choix Supreme and the H Upman Mag 46's. My question is this...which of either of these is the best "right now" smoke, and which if any should I let rest a spell? I got too darn anxious and fired up a choix supreme this weekend. The burn was horrible. I just hope it was caused by not resting enough. It had massive tunneling along with a terrible uneven burn. It tastes like wet hay, too. John authenticated my source, so I'm certain they're real. Just looking for some suggestions and guidance ow to make these the best they can be!
Thanks in advance,
Chad

With some suggestions by John, Jeff, and Wilkey, I am now the proud owner of a box each of the Choix Supreme and the H Upman Mag 46's. My question is this...which of either of these is the best "right now" smoke, and which if any should I let rest a spell? I got too darn anxious and fired up a choix supreme this weekend. The burn was horrible. I just hope it was caused by not resting enough. It had massive tunneling along with a terrible uneven burn. It tastes like wet hay, too. John authenticated my source, so I'm certain they're real. Just looking for some suggestions and guidance ow to make these the best they can be!
Thanks in advance,
Chad

Resting them is everything. My first ever order was of Monte 2's earlier this year. I remember the day they arrived walking up to the front door to a package. I was so excited! I felt like when I was a kid on Hanukkah. I'd been told by many people to let them sit for 30-60 days but I thought I knew better. I had to smoke one and now!

So I lit one up. The first pull tasted like death. Wet dog mixed with horse shit. It only got worse from there. about a third of the way in it started turning to acid and sulfur, that's' when I said no more and threw it out. I started to become worried about my source even thought their reputation is impeccable. I figured let me sit these for a few weeks and see. So 2 weeks later I lit another one. While not great it now tasted like a decent cigar. 2 weeks later and now we're getting somewhere. I smoked one the other day and it was sublime. Exactly what you expect from a premium CC!

Let them rest. The shipping from all over the world really takes a toll on the cigars. I know how difficult it is to be patient and let them rest but you will be rewarded for it. In the meantime smoke some good NC's and know that you have these beauties resting for later.

Sounds like they are seriously over humidified, which isn't unheard of with smokes straight out of the vendor's humidors.

I recommend putting them down for a month. They, try one and see how it goes. I've always found it fun and interesting to smoke one a month until you find the "sweet spot" and then enjoy them as you choose. I will tell you that a couple of years of down time won't hurt either of those, a bit..... :cool:

Enjoy - B.B.S.

I agree, definitely sounds like humidity is an issue there. I store the Mag46 at 63-65% RH. Don't give up, they'll be a treasure down the road.

All of the advice you got in the above post are giving you some pretty sound advice Chad.

:laugh: Jay, you killed me with the wet dog/horse shit analogy. :laugh:

Thanks everyone for all the sound advice. They're in the humi for the long haul. I'll revisit them in a couple of months and see how they do. You guys always know your stuff!!

Let them rest. The shipping from all over the world really takes a toll on the cigars. I know how difficult it is to be patient and let them rest but you will be rewarded for it. In the meantime smoke some good NC's and know that you have these beauties resting for later.

I learned that the hard way, good to know you have the patience to know what goodness your in for. Nothing is worth having if it's easy... especially a woman; remember that.

All of the advice you got in the above post are giving you some pretty sound advice Chad.

:laugh: Jay, you killed me with the wet dog/horse shit analogy. :laugh:

John, I aim to please! :cool:

The trick will be to keep that flavor in mind when my new boxes come in!!

mmmmmmmmmm... Good choice on the 46!

Yes!! I asked several people for recommendations, and the 46's came up in everyone's list. There's just something sexy about opening that slide top box and seeing all those great tasting sticks all bundled up and tied in ribbon. Letting these things sit is very hard to do, but I know they will just get better and better with time. I'm so proud to now have my own "just cubans" humidor. I have all you guys to thank for that!!!

I bought 2 boxes of 46's in 2005, they are only now starting to mature.

This has got to be the worst "consumption" hobby out there. You buy these things, get all excited and then store them for years...WTF. :laugh:

Brian

This has got to be the worst "consumption" hobby out there. You buy these things, get all excited and then store them for years...WTF. :laugh:

Brian

Or buy those with age on them of course. :D I suspect the wine guys would have similar issues with buy and hold.

Brian

Or buy those with age on them of course. :D I suspect the wine guys would have similar issues with buy and hold.
Good point. I mostly do that but sometimes I get a brain fart lapse. Like the time, 2 years ago, I bought 3 bundles of Taboada :blush:

Brian

I split a box of the 46s, smoked 'em all fresh and enjoyed every minute of it. Only cuban cigar I'd buy again... uh, if it was legal. Everyone has different tastes, though, so young and fresh might be nice for me, but suck for someone else. Only one way to know...

I split a box of the 46s, smoked 'em all fresh and enjoyed every minute of it. Only cuban cigar I'd buy again... uh, if it was legal. Everyone has different tastes, though, so young and fresh might be nice for me, but suck for someone else. Only one way to know...

I haven't burned a 46 yet, just the choix supreme. Now, you've got me intrigued. I think I may have to light one up during the Georgia game this weekend and see how they are young. Always good advice from you guys!

I haven't burned a 46 yet, just the choix supreme. Now, you've got me intrigued. I think I may have to light one up during the Georgia game this weekend and see how they are young. Always good advice from you guys!

Take one out just before you go to bed the night before Chad. Let it sit out until you light up during the game. :)

Very good advice guys. I also have a box of 46's on the way and this was a perfect read.
Now the wait.

Often when I read a thread abouta cigar it inspires me to break one out and so I did.

Smoked a 46 last night. The last one I smoked was at least a year ago, these are getting there, it was very tasty.

Many Cuban factories have changed the way they manufacture these days. Meaning, they may not be rolling too soon, instead they are drying the tobacco a little longer.
This has resulted in the current crop since around 2006 smoking better with less age. At least, this is my assumption based on what I have read. I don't know if the Mag 46
has changed but there are other Marca's that are smoking great with only a year or two on them.

Brian

I have been sampling some pretty fresh 46s.
I have been enjoying the hell out of em!

-Rob

For John, or anyone else that can answer. Why is it important to let the 46 sit out overnight? Is this just for the 46's or would my other cubans benefit from a rest out the night before. Also, all my cubans are in the same humidor staying steady at 70 percent. I've heard cubans are better held at a lower RH, even as low as 60 percent. What are y'alls thoughts on this?