• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Choix Supreme and H Upman Mag 46's

For John, or anyone else that can answer. Why is it important to let the 46 sit out overnight? Is this just for the 46's or would my other cubans benefit from a rest out the night before. Also, all my cubans are in the same humidor staying steady at 70 percent. I've heard cubans are better held at a lower RH, even as low as 60 percent. What are y'alls thoughts on this?

You hit the nail on the head in the last sentence. Letting it sit out will dry it a bit and allow the flavors to open up and let the cigar burn better as well. This is the same for all cigars especially Cubans.

Agreed. I smoke all my habanos around 63-65% Same goes for all my Pepins.

Many smoke habanos even at 60%

I decided for myself by a taste test. I just started at 70%, smoked a few of the same cigars, then every week I would drop the RH a few %'s and smoked the same cigars again, until I reached 58%. I found my "sweet-spot" at 63-65%. But again, I mostly smoke habanos and pepins.

Good luck

I decided for myself by a taste test. I just started at 70%, smoked a few of the same cigars, then every week I would drop the RH a few %'s and smoked the same cigars again, until I reached 58%. I found my "sweet-spot" at 63-65%. But again, I mostly smoke habanos and pepins.

Good luck
I would love to drop my RH 1 degree ad lib and keep it there for any duration, it's not possible! From 70 to 65 to 60, yes, there are beads that will help you take the RH there and keep it there.

All my boxes sit in +- 65 RH, my singles in +- 60 but that's just coincidental, it's the way my one humidor (Aristocrat) distributes RH, the drawers are on the top.

Cubans, IMO, definitely smoke better 65 to 60 RH. So as suggested, dry box your smoke for at least 12 hours, it will smoke better.

Brian

For John, or anyone else that can answer. Why is it important to let the 46 sit out overnight? Is this just for the 46's or would my other cubans benefit from a rest out the night before. Also, all my cubans are in the same humidor staying steady at 70 percent. I've heard cubans are better held at a lower RH, even as low as 60 percent. What are y'alls thoughts on this?

Based on your experience with the Choix Supreme it sounds they could be a little moist. If you let the 46 sit out over night it should dry out some and may smoke better for you at this point. :thumbs:

Good luck
I would love to drop my RH 1 degree ad lib and keep it there for any duration, it's not possible! From 70 to 65 to 60, yes, there are beads that will help you take the RH there and keep it there.

All my boxes sit in +- 65 RH, my singles in +- 60 but that's just coincidental, it's the way my one humidor (Aristocrat) distributes RH, the drawers are on the top.

Cubans, IMO, definitely smoke better 65 to 60 RH. So as suggested, dry box your smoke for at least 12 hours, it will smoke better.

Brian

I never said 1% RH at a time...I actually said I would drop the RH a few %'s and then smoke again....It is easy, at least for me, to drop the RH 2-3% and stabilize it, over a weeks time. The Oasis Electric humidifier does a decent job...and still I agree that cubans smoke best between 60-65, but I keep mine between 63-65%. That's just my personal preference.

Good luck

Brian

I never said 1% RH at a time...I actually said I would drop the RH a few %'s and then smoke again....It is easy, at least for me, to drop the RH 2-3% and stabilize it, over a weeks time. The Oasis Electric humidifier does a decent job...and still I agree that cubans smoke best between 60-65, but I keep mine between 63-65%. That's just my personal preference.
That's what I meant, 1 degree or 2 or 3, it's not easy to do. I also have excellent humidifiers set to come on when the RH hits below 65. However, in order to sustain a good environment, I have 4 pounds of 65 RH beads in my Aristocrat humidor and 8 pounds in the very large one. I cannot get increments of between 1 and 3 degrees.

Brian

Good luck

Brian

That's what I meant, 1 degree or 2 or 3, it's not easy to do. I also have excellent humidifiers set to come on when the RH hits below 65. However, in order to sustain a good environment, I have 4 pounds of 65 RH beads in my Aristocrat humidor and 8 pounds in the very large one. I cannot get increments of between 1 and 3 degrees.

Brian

Yea I completely understand what you are saying Brian. For larger systems, it's obviously harder to sustain precision once you accurately set up your system. I defnitely don't have that problem, as I only own 2-150 count humidors. Switching to a venotemp soon, but for now it's good.

For what it's worth, I still think new smokers should experiment themselves with different RH's, with different cigars (from different origins). Even if you can get a 5% increase or decrease at a time, then you can still do a 70, 65, 60 tryout. My friend did this with the Boveda Humidipaks, and worked well for him.

Wow, you guys are great. It's wonderful to have such knowledgeable people giving me such great advice. Looks like I'm in the market for some 65% Heartfelt beads for my Cuban Humi. Thanka again everyone!
Cheers,
Chad

Wow, you guys are great. It's wonderful to have such knowledgeable people giving me such great advice. Looks like I'm in the market for some 65% Heartfelt beads for my Cuban Humi. Thanka again everyone!
Cheers,
Chad

Definitely give David at Heartfelt a call! He's the nicest guy and will answer any and all questions you may have. When you get off the phone with him you'll have that WOW I can't believe how much I just learned moment. His advice really helped me setup and regulate my new cabinet. I had no clue what I was doing until I spoke to him.

You hit the nail on the head in the last sentence. Letting it sit out will dry it a bit and allow the flavors to open up and let the cigar burn better as well. This is the same for all cigars especially Cubans.

Based on your experience with the Choix Supreme it sounds they could be a little moist. If you let the 46 sit out over night it should dry out some and may smoke better for you at this point. :thumbs:

Ding, ding, ding! :cool:

That's what I was trying to tell you Chad. Based on your previous experience (and now knowing the RH you shared with us) I was suggesting that you dry box your 46 for a minimum of at least twelve hours. This would allow the cigar to dry out a bit, help to open up the draw, and hopefully improve the flavors a bit. Usually, help to correct any possible burn issues as well.

Ding, ding, ding! :cool:

That's what I was trying to tell you Chad. Based on your previous experience Chad (and now knowing the RH you shared with us). I was suggesting that you dry box your 46 for a minimum of at least twelve hours. This would allow the cigar to dry out a bit, help to open up the draw, and hopefully improve the flavors a bit. Usually, help to correct any possible burn issues as well.

The all knowing and all powerful Oz has spoken... :laugh:

Hey there Uga,

Couple of nice pickups there. As to which smoke better young, before 2000, neither of them really showed their full potential early on. But in the last few years, the Choix Supreme has typically become the more approachable ROTT (right off the truck). I just finished a box of 2005 Mag 46 and unfortunately they were just starting to really shine. Recent Choix Supremes have been very good and quite strong. Your cigars do sound like they were shipped moist. Many vendors do this. If you want to smoke singles, what I do is take one out and throw it in an empty box for a day or two.

In find that I enjoy my cigars most at around 67%. To each their own and do try the things the other posters have mentioned to find your very own sweet spot.

Now do yourself a favor and pick up a box of Bolivar Royal Coronas. ;)

Wilkey

Back