• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Aficionado's Top 10 List

Wouldn't it be almost impossible to "blind review" most of these cigars a 2nd time? The Padron 45 and Opus xXx, size/shape makes them pretty obvious right? Also people that are in the cigar industry for a living probably recognize specific taste right away. I'm no "expert" but I can tell a Padron 99% of the time, band or not.

Wouldn't it be almost impossible to "blind review" most of these cigars a 2nd time? The Padron 45 and Opus xXx, size/shape makes them pretty obvious right? Also people that are in the cigar industry for a living probably recognize specific taste right away. I'm no "expert" but I can tell a Padron 99% of the time, band or not.

Dude, stop making sense.

I wondered the same thing. The Padron box press is hard to miss. And though I've never smoked a real ISOM, I'm told the distinct flavor of one is unmistakable from another smoke, say something from the Dominican Republic.

I wondered the same thing. The Padron box press is hard to miss. And though I've never smoked a real ISOM, I'm told the distinct flavor of one is unmistakable from another smoke, say something from the Dominican Republic.

Search Evil Dr. Moki's Blind Taste Test!

These are still just opinions, if somewhat informed. They reflect the overall preferences of the smokers and that is all.

I look at it to see if there is a cigar I haven't tried that I might want to try.

Just curious if anyone knows how the power ranger jumps from a 90 to a 95 rating. I find these ratings interesting but not very subjective.

I have experienced a wide range of satisfaction from a cigar. For example the draw on a cigar can vary and it certainly affects the overall score. That being said the power ranger has been very consistent for me. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a 90 and a 95, but obviously someone can. ;)

JMHO - DT

Just curious if anyone knows how the power ranger jumps from a 90 to a 95 rating. I find these ratings interesting but not very subjective.

I have experienced a wide range of satisfaction from a cigar. For example the draw on a cigar can vary and it certainly affects the overall score. That being said the power ranger has been very consistent for me. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a 90 and a 95, but obviously someone can. ;)

JMHO - DT

A year of age. :D

Seriously, in the case of the xXx in particular, I've noticed humi time makes a HUGE difference. After about a year's nap they just get spectacular.

~Boar

I happen to agree with Grateful1 which is were I was going with that. I think they are a good smoke so I'll let the couple I have sit for a year or two and try them then. :thumbs:

Not necessarily, young cigar lad. As Gary pointed out, when smoked blind, the power of suggestion that we put on Habanos is lost.

As for the number one, does CA share a similar process to WS whereby they account for cost as part of their process? If so, the BHK, while good, may not be the numero uno cigar.

Not necessarily, young cigar lad. As Gary pointed out, when smoked blind, the power of suggestion that we put on Habanos is lost.

As for the number one, does CA share a similar process to WS whereby they account for cost as part of their process? If so, the BHK, while good, may not be the numero uno cigar.

Good point Rob. I am now wondering this myself. Would the Casa Magna selection a few years ago support this thesis?

Yes sir, it would, Joe. :thumbs:

IIRC David Savonna and Gordon Mott said in their top cigar of the year videos that the the $25 price difference between the Casa Magna and the Padron 80th was a major factor in the Casa Magna winning.

IIRC David Savonna and Gordon Mott said in their top cigar of the year videos that the the $25 price difference between the Casa Magna and the Padron 80th was a major factor in the Casa Magna winning.
Good Point! So the price point must be a factor.

What cigar would take BHK's place and where else on the list would it be? #11 ??

No, we have the first nine (minus the first) and I doubt they'd rate it lower than them.

But who knows? ???

I wonder how that is possible, if all the cigars are smoked "Blind" as they say?

~brooks

I was going to say . . . if they're smoked completely blind, then price couldn't factor in. And they said on their site that BHK is a great smoke now, but will be a lot better with some age, so perhaps the bhk won't be #1 this year, but next

I was going to say . . . if they're smoked completely blind, then price couldn't factor in.

For a score on the smoke, sure, but there's no reason a ranking couldn't take other factors into consideration. Construction, flavor, price, production numbers, etc.