• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Experiment....

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
Its been about a year, I put an experiment together ...

.... in a cedar cigar box I put: the bottom of a water bottle cut out so it can hold a mixture of Glen Levitt Scotch and some water crystals and I laid 2 cigars in the box - Cusano 18 Robusto Double Connecticut and a Punch Rare Corojo Rothschild. Always filling and rehydrating the mixture with Distilled water and Scotch. I left the cigars in there for about 10 months ... they smell great. I have had them in my regular humi for 2/3 months now so they are now stabilized, I think they are ready for a smoke!

Has anyone tried this?

I haven't, but I'd like to know how the experiment ends. When do you plan to smoke one?

I haven't, but I'd like to know how the experiment ends. When do you plan to smoke one?

I am hoping to have the Cusano this weekend ... I will probably have to smoke a regular one then my experiment after to see the difference. I will be sure to post my findings!

Sounds like it'll be a nice smoke! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Might be worth a try...

Please let us know! I think this is a really cool idea. I would like to try it with some of my cigars. Only not with scotch. =)

And thusly the nickname "LARS Puros" came to be! :D

It will be interesting to read how they turned out.

Its been about a year, I put an experiment together ...

.... in a cedar cigar box I put: the bottom of a water bottle cut out so it can hold a mixture of Glen Levitt Scotch and some water crystals and I laid 2 cigars in the box - Cusano 18 Robusto Double Connecticut and a Punch Rare Corojo Rothschild. Always filling and rehydrating the mixture with Distilled water and Scotch. I left the cigars in there for about 10 months ... they smell great. I have had them in my regular humi for 2/3 months now so they are now stabilized, I think they are ready for a smoke!

Has anyone tried this?
Years ago I did something similar with bundled sticks and Cognac and one batch with whisky. I used a tupperware cylinder with distilled water and the beverage in the bottom, a round of metal with holes supported about 1" above the mixture on "legs," left them in for two weeks and another two week in a separate (from my regular sticks) humi for another 2. Turned out decent, nothing to put on the market, but turned some ok cigars into an ejoyable smoke. Mind you I really couldn't really afford the good stuff back then and I was searching for what I liked in cigars. I now prefer to have a nice drink with my stogies. I might have to give this a try somtime soo though now that you bring it up. Thanx

Ok sorry, that was crap ... :whistling: :blush:

I was hoping it would at least taste good.

So I started out by smoking a regular Cusano 18 first...it was ok not much flavor, nothing has much flavor after smoking my first Tat, anyways the Cusano was smooth, but overall bland! When I lit up my experiment stick I was hit with an awefull burnt newspaper smell and taste in my mouth, WOW that was horrible...it was like I had a dirty wet sock in my mouth ....

....after an inch of the stick I threw it away but I couldn't get that aweful taste out of my mouth ... so I got a glass of orange juice and lit up AF Hemi Classic Maduro, I was saved!

I won't be trying anything like this again! :angry: :rolleyes:

Yowza! Thanks for the report. Note to self: forget about the idea of making cigars nutritious by infusing with soy milk.

Wilkey

Nice try MP. I was curious how this would turn out. I kind of thought it would go in a different direction though. I got a kick out of your last post. :laugh:

I just smoke the Gurkha cognac infused sticks when I get that urge. Much less trouble too.

Thanks for posting the results. I always enjoy seeing how experiments like this work out.

Sucks to hear it didn't work out as you'd hoped. It's no consolation to you, but I also got a bit of a chuckle out of your report.

Well thanks for posting it anyway man. Sorry it didn't work out, but thanks for educating us all.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, MAS_Puros. I tried this last spring with a variety of cigars and George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey. I noticed that the results varied from cigar to cigar, but I wasn't able to identify a pattern. Wrapper type, size, strength, etc. didn't seem to be crucial factors. (I had two fairly small, very strong cigars, for example and one tasted great and the other awful.)

Based on what you wrote, though, it sounds like maybe they were overhumidified? Did you have a hygrometer working in your test humidor?