• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar filtration system?

Lord Odin

Hello all! First time poster here. I would like to say you guys have a great site. :thumbs:

Well I'm going to be getting a space heater for my 2 car garage (500 sq ft) pretty soon and will be able to finally enjoy my cigars comfortably. The problem with doing something like this is smoke will collect in the garage unless I do something about it. Some have suggested venting the air to the outside via cracking open the garage door or an exhaust fan built into the room. The problem with doing so is I lose all my heat, which defeats the purpose of having the garage heated and costs money to replace all that lost heat. Instead, I would like to filter the smoke. From the research that I've done elsewhere and the threads that I've read on here, it can be done but usually means that I would have to buy a smoke eater or something comparable, which can cost bookoo bucks. And I haven't seen anything that would be a cheaper alternative like what I'm looking for. I'm on a budget and was thinking of something a lot less expensive.

Here was my idea, so please correct me on anything or offer any alternatives. Since I want this to be as efficient with the heat as possible and to keep the smoke out of the house, I would have to have an intake and exhaust fan mounted in the ceiling. My house entry door is in one corner of the garage and on the other end of the room, furthest away from the garage door. The intake would be in one corner of the garage, opposite side of the room away from the house entry door. The exhaust would be in the opposite corner on the same side as the house entry door but furthest away from it (closest to the garage door). That way, they are furthest awy as possible from each other for better circulation, the heated air will blow towards the garage door (heating up the coldest part of the room), and is furthest away from the house entry door (reducing risk of smoke entering the house). I would build some sort of box and put in a HEPA filter in it. 6" ducting would connect the components and the fans would be wired to a switch.

Would a HEPA filter be a decent cheap alternative? If so, does it have to be a charcoal filter? Also, what size of fans would I need to get the proper CFMs needed for circulation and to push through the filter? Thanks in advance for any help.

Check out www.cigarmony.com They have the filtration units you are looking for, along with great service.

By the way. I'm sure this is an oversight, but go over to the introduce yourself thread, and tell us a little about yourself.

You sound like a nice guy who would not want to be perceived as rude. :)

Do a search for charcoal filters as this has been discussed before.

If you want to build your own activated charcoal filter, send me a PM.

Cheers,
antaean

With all the smoking bans going on, I'm sure you can find a used smoke eater from a bar/restaurant that no longer needs it.

Cheers,
antaean
I tried to run a search for them but didn't really find anything except that people have them. Nothing really about how to build one. I'm not very good at searching for stuff.

How can I build one?

Cheers,
antaean
I tried to run a search for them but didn't really find anything except that people have them. Nothing really about how to build one. I'm not very good at searching for stuff.

How can I build one?

PM Sent.

Well, according to some research I've done, here's what I've concluded so far:

1. My garage dimensions are 8.5' x 20' x 20'. So that means that I'll need at least 450 cfm (room dimensions * .13) moving to keep the place moving efficiently. To accomodate that, I'm looking at something like these: 8" in-line electric duct fan. I'll probably need 2 of them. One for each direction of air flow. And at approximately 60db, they will run pretty quietly.

2. I'll need insulated flexible ducting along with insulated duct tape to prevent heat loss into the attic.

3. I'll need a charcoal hepa filter and a custom made box.

4. I'll also need 2 diffusers and 2 dampers so that I don't lose as much heat through the ducting when it's not in use.

5. My electrician friend will run another switch to the fans so they don't run all the time or whenever I turn the lights on.

I'm going to talk to my mechanical friend before I proceed with anything to double check everything. Overall, the total cost shouldn't run more than $200 for all the parts.

When your done you should post up some pics, I am curious to see how it comes out.

You could always use the hand held method...paper towel roll, rubber band and some dryer sheets... :rolleyes:

Well, I got my space heater in. It's a 700sq ft vent-free, blue flame, space heater with a blower. The garage is nice and toasty now. I have an aluminum attic ladder directly over it though and noticed the room was taking a while to heat up. As I investigated the problem, I noticed I wasn't getting a good seal on the ladder cover and had a 1/2" gap. After getting some weatherstripping from Lowes, the room now keeps the heat instead of leaking it to the attic.

Now that it's in place, I'm going to get started on the filtration system. I'll keep you guys updated and will eventually post pictures.

On a side note, my brother has a den in his house and wants to smoke cigars in it. Since he's inside and its a nice room, he wants a much better job than what I'm doing. I recommended a smoke eater but they are too expensive for him. Are there any solutions for him in the $600 range?